How do you make repaints work with Searchlight Simulations modpacks?

Discussion of rolling-stock creation & re-painting.

How do you make repaints work with Searchlight Simulations modpacks?

Unread postby Brickrail782 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:27 pm

The GEVO-12 pack includes instructions, but they are kind of vague.
Brickrail782

Re: How do you make repaints work with Searchlight Simulations modpacks?

Unread postby ZekTheKid » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:35 pm

Just do what you would do in a normal repaint, instead this time drop in the textures of the repaint you want to make compatible with the Searchlight Sims package. The only time this method was unsuccessful was on the CSX C40-8W and BNSF SD70MAC, but the GEVO works fine since I've done it on multiple GEVO repaints.
"It's not a train without GE" -YLR
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/yourlocalrailfan
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClzRkO ... fjbNqrF1tw

It's September. Freshmen year is here, but at least school with a sibling make it interesting...
ZekTheKid

Unread postby NStrains » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:40 pm

Buzz was trying to help me with this the other day. To my knowledge, you have to make a copy of the .bin file from the modded unit you want to use. Then open the .bin file and change the names inside to match the unit you want to have modded and save it. Then just replace the .bin file of the repaint unit with the modified .bin file.
NStrains

Unread postby ZekTheKid » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:51 pm

NStrains wrote:Buzz was trying to help me with this the other day. To my knowledge, you have to make a copy of the .bin file from the modded unit you want to use. Then open the .bin file and change the names inside to match the unit you want to have modded and save it. Then just replace the .bin file of the repaint unit with the modified .bin file.

That's simpler. *!rolleyes!*
"It's not a train without GE" -YLR
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/yourlocalrailfan
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClzRkO ... fjbNqrF1tw

It's September. Freshmen year is here, but at least school with a sibling make it interesting...
ZekTheKid

Unread postby NStrains » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:13 pm

ZekTheKid wrote:
NStrains wrote:Buzz was trying to help me with this the other day. To my knowledge, you have to make a copy of the .bin file from the modded unit you want to use. Then open the .bin file and change the names inside to match the unit you want to have modded and save it. Then just replace the .bin file of the repaint unit with the modified .bin file.

I'm not sure I follow the instructions you posted up above... If it's easier I would love to try it out instead of trying to modify the .bin files which I don't have the program to do.
NStrains

Unread postby BoostedFridge » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:24 pm

NStrains wrote: If it's easier I would love to try it out instead of trying to modify the .bin files which I don't have the program to do.

Railworks comes with a program called 'serz' or 'serz.exe' which converts .bin files into .xml files which can be edited in notepad, or notepad++. Once you have made your changes to the .xml, use serz to convert it back to a .bin file.
SP Siskiyou Line - Scenery WIP

www.pacificcoastrailworks.com
BoostedFridge

Unread postby Brickrail782 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:02 pm

NStrains wrote:
ZekTheKid wrote:

I'm not sure I follow the instructions you posted up above... If it's easier I would love to try it out instead of trying to modify the .bin files which I don't have the program to do.

Another option is to use RWTools, available for download on the file library.
Brickrail782

Unread postby Brickrail782 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:50 pm

Exactly what part(s) of the .bin file should I change?
Brickrail782

Unread postby NStrains » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:17 pm

I honestly don't know. I was hoping Zek would further explain his way.
NStrains

Unread postby Brickrail782 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:25 pm

Yeah, because nothing I change works. All I see are the couplers for the engine.
Brickrail782

Unread postby Brickrail782 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:47 am

I think I figured out how to get it to work! Copy/paste and rename the .bin file(s) like what NStrains said, but you also need to copy/paste the GEOpcdx files for the cab and engine.
Brickrail782

Unread postby GenericZack » Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:51 am

(To open these files up you must drag the .bin file to the serz.exe in your main railworks folder, it basicly de encrypts the file for use in a text editior, to turn it back to bin you must make sure you have read only de selected in your file structure in the addon your using the .bin file for so that it can save, When doing this it will save the .bin file as a .xml text file in the same place that the .bin file is.)

From What NStrains is saying:

You have the .bin file, which is the file that controls the model, like physics, where the drivers are located, sounds etc.
So in the .xml file is the name of the locomotive. in this case im using the Stevens pass ES44DC but this works the same on every addon.
Now below in blue is the locomotive name.

And as you notice here in the repaint .bin the name is diffrent.

So what you need to do with Searchlights locomotives is that you need to Copy the original .xml, Open it up and Change the locomotives name and file structure.

to change the file structure you need to find where the repaint is located in this locomotive file structure. in this example its in
GNTX\StevensPass\RailVehicles\Diesel\ES44DC\BNSF2\Engine

So when you go back to the .bin you opened to modify. so far you have changed the name to the repaint. now in notepad, go to Edit -> Replace.
Now you want to replace \BNSF\ with \BNSF2\ then you hit "Replace All"

Now You can save the .xml file onto your desktop. after you have done that drag it into serz so that it becomes a .bin file again, then drag that bin file into the repaint, and then go in game and it should work.

Good luck! And also welcome to the forum! *&!welcome!&*
Owner
Pacific Coast Railworks

http://www.pacificcoastrailworks.com
GenericZack

Unread postby buzz456 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:16 pm

Nice explanation. One note to add tho is if you learn how to use RWTools (which is now free bye the way) every time you save the file the program automatically makes a .bak file which is a backup of the one before you made the change that way if you bork something up which I do all the time you can always revert back one step or all the way back to the original one. No messing with the serz as it opens the bin file directly and saves it back as a bin in the original place.
Mike Simpson did a awesome job on this program and I use it all the time for this and other uses.
Buzz
39 and holding.
"Some people find fault like there's a reward for it."- Zig Ziglar
"If you can dream it you can do it."- Walt Disney
buzz456
Site Admin

Return to Rolling-Stock Design