3DCrafter Texture Baking

Discussion of rolling-stock creation & re-painting.

Re: 3DCrafter Texture Baking

Unread postby mrennie » Mon May 02, 2016 5:58 pm

TrabantDeLuxe wrote:My workflow for baked ambient occlusion:

AO is the top layer, on 'multiply' blending mode. What multiply does, is white stays unaffected whereas grey and black will darken the underlying texture. Exactly as shadows do in real life.

If you have baked a texture from a high poly (try doing leaf springs!), add a second AO layer, but this time pick overlay, soft light or hard light and play with the opacity to make stuff 'pop'.

That's what I do ;)

But for specular surfaces, I also copy the AO into alpha channel (if there is one) so that the darker areas will have less specular shine and that enhances the contrast and makes the object look even more 3D.
mrennie

Unread postby TrabantDeLuxe » Tue May 03, 2016 9:00 am

Lazy man's specular: Take the AO, high pass filter, adjust levels a bit. Presto.
TrabantDeLuxe

Unread postby SD40Australia » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:52 pm

mrennie wrote:

AO is the top layer, on 'multiply' blending mode. What multiply does, is white stays unaffected whereas grey and black will darken the underlying texture. Exactly as shadows do in real life.

If you have baked a texture from a high poly (try doing leaf springs!), add a second AO layer, but this time pick overlay, soft light or hard light and play with the opacity to make stuff 'pop'.

That's what I do ;)

But for specular surfaces, I also copy the AO into alpha channel (if there is one) so that the darker areas will have less specular shine and that enhances the contrast and makes the object look even more 3D.

Mike,

Why would you use shadow baking?

For textures close to the driver, like locomotives?

I'm still trying to get my head around it.

Daniel
SD40Australia

Unread postby mrennie » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:05 pm

SD40Australia wrote:
mrennie wrote:

That's what I do ;)

Mike,

Why would you use shadow baking?

For textures close to the driver, like locomotives?

I'm still trying to get my head around it.

Daniel

You should use shadow baking (ambient occlusion) on just about everything, because it helps to make every 3D object, no matter what it is, look more three-dimensional.
mrennie

Unread postby SD40Australia » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:12 pm

If I shadow bake in Blender, after UV Unwrap, is that all I need to do? Then I can export the .IGS?

I think Jerry on page 1 of this thread has a pretty good process. So that answers my question, I think.

Daniel
SD40Australia

Unread postby SD40Australia » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:51 pm

I finally got the thing baked.

From looking at other guides, tutorials and workflow process, I figured it out.

Jerry was great with his workflow on page 1. Then I did some more research because I wasn't having a lot of success.

I found out that you have to delete the lamps in Blender before Baking.

And then I had to properly UV unwrap my object, as I use a composed texture.

Although 3DS Max is different, I still found this helpful: http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=305&t=122988&p=1525111&hilit=ambient+occlusion+baking#p1525111

Then more detailed workflow for Blender (from 2009 so needs to be updated): http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic.php?f=291&t=94804&p=1169328&hilit=ambient+occlusion+baking+blender#p1169328

And then I found this insightful for Gimp users to multiply your layer https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHv1Ybxd-kk

Hope this helps.

Daniel
Attachments
AOBakingexample1.jpg
Baked Fast Food!
AOBakingexample1.jpg (77.86 KiB) Viewed 91 times
SD40Australia

Previous

Return to Rolling-Stock Design