Clear Creek USNG1 Log Load/Unloaders

Discussion about RailWorks scenario creation.

Clear Creek USNG1 Log Load/Unloaders

Unread postby Mickey » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:27 pm

I have created a Free Roam NG Logging Scenario near Georgetown on the CC Route. I am using Britkits 1 and 2 Ton NG Shays. I am also using the USNG1 Log Buggies with loads. Everything works EXCEPT THE AUTOMATION (cannot load/unload logs) at the USNG1 Log Load/Unloaders which I have placed at the pond in a similar fashion as in the Porter Intro Scenarios. I installed these from the USNG1 Track Infrastructure box. The placement seemed straight forward and correct. What am I missing or forgot to do?
Mickey

Re: Clear Creek USNG1 Log Load/Unloaders

Unread postby OldProf » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:18 pm

First, a curiosity question: why are you using Britkits engines instead of those included in this add-on package?

I've been meaning to experiment with this pack, but haven't gotten to it yet. When I do, I'll let you know what I discover. In the mean time, may I suggest that you try making a scenario using the loaders already in place?

Let us know how you fare.
Tom Pallen (Old Prof)

{Win 10 Pro 64-bit; Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30GHz; 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665 MHz (9-9-9-24); 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950}
OldProf

Unread postby Mickey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:48 am

The Loaders are not part of the Clear Creek Route and do not come with the Free Roam Scenarios provided. As for the Britkits Shays, I have always enjoyed the Shay engine for logging. I think when using a Track Infrastructure item that there must be more to it than just placing the item in the route???
Mickey

Unread postby ChrisOnline » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:27 am

OldProf wrote:First, a curiosity question: why are you using Britkits engines instead of those included in this add-on package?

Because (my opinion) using Shays is a totally different visual and psychological (and very realistic!) experience on a logging road. Been in love with them since visiting Cass Scenic Railroad in WV

I have (very crudely) aliased the sounds of my Britkits Class B NG Shay, to the Clear Creek route's Baldwin, and changed the friction ratings as it was struggling to haul anything up the steep gradients without losing all traction, but it is giving me great vibes on Clear Creek!

Chris
ChrisOnline

Unread postby OldProf » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:03 pm

Mickey wrote:The Loaders are not part of the Clear Creek Route and do not come with the Free Roam Scenarios provided. As for the Britkits Shays, I have always enjoyed the Shay engine for logging. I think when using a Track Infrastructure item that there must be more to it than just placing the item in the route???

Whoops! I just assumed that you were working with the Clear Creek Log and Lumber Expansion Pack. Since that is not the case, what is your source for the log loaders? If there's a manual available, it should include instructions for using the loaders on a route. Like all loaders, the ones you're trying to use must be interactive assets, which require placing not only the asset itself but also a marking device, typically located on the track directly opposite the asset that indicates where the car to be loaded or unloaded must be located in relation to the loader itself. Interactive assets of any kind can only be successfully placed while editing a route. They can be placed at the scenario editing level, but their activation device cannot, so the asset will be visible but not functional. Furthermore, each interactive asset functions only with specially designated and equipped cars. For example, an asset designed to handle a specific type of log(s) cannot be paired with a car designed to handle a different type of log. Usually, a loading asset activates in response to pressing the T key to load or Shift+T to unload. Loading can also be accomplished by clicking the correct icon in the F4 HUD, but doing so will not activate unloading.

The C&O Allegheny is the only route I know of that included interactive logging assets (not all of which worked correctly) until the Clear Creek Log and Lumber Expansion Pack appeared. Where did you obtain logging related loading assets and did they come with user's manuals?
Tom Pallen (Old Prof)

{Win 10 Pro 64-bit; Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30GHz; 16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665 MHz (9-9-9-24); 2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950}
OldProf

Unread postby Mickey » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:13 pm

I do think you for your help. The "Romantic RR" USNG1 upgrade to the Clear Creek Route is what I am using. It does not modify the original Clear Creek Route to have the Log Load/Unloaders as new assets to the Route! Instead these Assets are only included in the Scenarios as Track Infrastructure items. The included USNG1 manual explains this. I am using the USNG1 Log Buggies with the provided Loads. When I placed the Log Load/Unloaders in the Route, placing the "Marking Device" is part of the placement and I had to do this in order to complete placing a Log Loader/Unloader in the Route. So everything you have described is there! I just thought there might be an additional step to using an Infrastructure item in a Scenario.
Mickey

Unread postby ChrisOnline » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:01 pm

Yes, that is exactly what OldProf was referring to - the "Clear Creek Log & Lumber Expansion Pack"

It does indeed operate as you suggest - it is added within a scenario (be it a standard scenario or a Free Roam).

However you have to use the "loadable" wagons and add the loads when you are setting up the scenario. If you use the pre-loaded versions (with the name finishing in "QD loaded" in the picklist), they will NOT work

So you will see in the picklist, there is a "USNG Log Car 01", and a "USNG Log Car 01 QD loaded" , repeated for each log car, flat car and stake car. You have to use the first version if you wish to use the new equipment to load/unload (or in the case of the Pond Log Unloader, only unload)

Chris
ChrisOnline

Unread postby OldProf » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:02 pm

That's interesting, Chris. If indeed these interactive assets (the loaders provided in the add-on) work when placed at the scenario editing level, that's a first for TS -- in my experience, at least. Being from Missouri, I'm going to have to test this myself. On the other hand, I have no doubt that you're absolutely right about pairing the loaders with empty cars whose programed loads match the load handled by the loader.
Tom Pallen (Old Prof)

OldProf

Unread postby Mickey » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:49 pm

Problem Solved!
Chris was right! (I found out by trial and error). You have to use the Unloaded cars. You can then add the loads and the Load/Unloaders will in load them. Also, placement of the Load/Unloaders can be critical for realism. THANKS to all for your help.
Mickey

Return to Scenario Creation