New route/routes announced for TSW today-in hours

Discussion about TSW Routes, running them or creating them

Moderator: ricksan

Re: New route/routes announced for TSW today-in hours

Unread postby SAR704 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:57 pm

Although seeing that tired middle age guy again and again loses it's novelty after a while (oh wait, there never was one), I'm actually thinking of purchasing this game just to get this route. I don't mind high speed trains, despite being biased towards Australian content.

But nonetheless, is this game really as bad as it's made out to be?

What was KRS/RW like within the first 18 months of release? Did the editors come with it? The BP editor is a bit better at least from TS2015 onward, but apart from that, the game's had next to no changes in recent years excluding the GE overlay.
Geforce GTX 1060
8GB RAM
Intel Core i3-3220 3.30ghz
SAR704

Unread postby buzz456 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:06 pm

Yes it's as bad as it's made out to be if you read all the posts as far as a operating simulator. It's a cute toy at this point nothing more or less. TS2018 is a awesome simulator even with it's warts. Thousands of assets and hundreds of routes. More than any normal person can absorb in a year or more. If you find it really lacking you need to check your expectations.
Buzz
39 and holding.
"Some people find fault like there's a reward for it."- Zig Ziglar
"If you can dream it you can do it."- Walt Disney
buzz456
Site Admin

Unread postby Griphos » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:37 am

I’m not sure what Buzz means by “operating simulator.” It’s clear that TSW lacks the amount of content TS20XX has, and lacks tools for route building and scenario building. But those don’t really affect whether it is a good simulator or not. I’d say, as a simulator, it’s as good as TS20XX. Better at simulating some things, less good at others.

I, too, would like them to release tools and open up the workshop. If you want to tinker with your sim, build things and scenarios, then TSW isn’t for you. If you want to drive trains, and don’t mind the limited scenarios, then it’s an enjoyable and as believable simulation of trains as any available.
Griphos

Unread postby OldProf » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:43 am

Put me down in Griphos' column. Yes, I'd like to be able to write scenarios for TSW, but I'm willing to wait for that. Yes, I'm looking forward to more routes and scenarios, but I feel confident that those will come along. Pazienza, folks.
Tom Pallen (Old Prof)

{Win 10 Home 64-bit; Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz; 16.0GB Single-Channel @ 1063 MHz (15-15-15-364); 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960}
OldProf

Unread postby jalsina » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:30 pm

Griphos wrote:I’m not sure what Buzz means by “operating simulator.” It’s clear that TSW lacks the amount of content TS20XX has, and lacks tools for route building and scenario building. But those don’t really affect whether it is a good simulator or not. I’d say, as a simulator, it’s as good as TS20XX. Better at simulating some things, less good at others.

Buzz means driving a loco seriously, without chatting and doing social stuff along the route. It is like the TSW Facebook.
There is people looking for that. Not my case.

TSW is a virtual train kids game with very nice graphics. No tools no train simulator, just a train toy (excuse me HO fans, I don´t mean you).
It will never become like TS2018, because it is destined to fail.
Markets was very different 7 years ago when Railworks was released. The competition was with a dying MSTS and Trainz. Now TSW is going against TS2018, a very hard task to reach.
!!howdy!!
Intel i7-4790K (8M, 4.40 GHz) - MSI Z97 MB - 16 GB DDR3 RAM 2400 MHz
GPU EVGA GTX-1060 OC 6GB at 1920x1080, 144 Hz - Monitor ASUS VG-248QE
WD 7200 rpm HD
jalsina

Unread postby JohnS » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:48 pm

jalsina wrote:
Griphos wrote:I’m not sure what Buzz means by “operating simulator.” It’s clear that TSW lacks the amount of content TS20XX has, and lacks tools for route building and scenario building. But those don’t really affect whether it is a good simulator or not. I’d say, as a simulator, it’s as good as TS20XX. Better at simulating some things, less good at others.

Buzz means driving a loco seriously, without chatting and doing social stuff along the route. It is like the TSW Facebook.

TSW is a virtual train kids game with very nice graphics. No tools no train simulator, just a train toy (excuse me HO fans, I don´t mean you).
Markets was very different 7 years ago when Railworks was released. The competition was with a dying MSTS and Trainz. Now TSW is going against TS2018, a very hard task to reach.
!!howdy!!

Funny you say that since KUJU was contracted to MSTS and was the one creating MSTS2. If you can find early shots of MSTS2 it's clearly Railworks plus they had screen shots of the Horseshoe Curve that we currently have. Unfortunately the PRR M1a was contracted out and the person who created it was licensed by Microsoft and cannot release it but it's out there.
John Stephens
Locomotive Engineer
Marquette Rail
Genesee & Wyoming Inc.
JohnS

Unread postby _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha » Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:54 pm

TSW has potential for sure. But at the moment is nothing more than a A to B and back train driving game, nothing near a simulation at all.

What is beginning to worry me is the lack of communication from DTG. No new, no updates, no road map, nothing but soothing promises on Steam forum.

DTG sort of admitted to be struggling with the complexities of the UE4 game engine.

But if one doubts their fundamental grasp of railroad physics, signalling and protection systems, or their understanding of what the market actually expects from them?
Edwin "Kanawha"
The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)
_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha

Unread postby JohnS » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:45 pm

_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha wrote:TSW has potential for sure. But at the moment is nothing more than a A to B and back train driving game, nothing near a simulation at all.

What is beginning to worry me is the lack of communication from DTG. No new, no updates, no road map, nothing but soothing promises on Steam forum.

DTG sort of admitted to be struggling with the complexities of the UE4 game engine.

But if one doubts their fundamental grasp of railroad physics, signalling and protection systems, or their understanding of what the market actually expects from them?

They don't really model the US signal system and cabsignals correctly. They don't follow the progression of signals or the correct aspects for speed signals. It might just be an issue with the core not being correct and can't be fixed but that's an example of "well it works good enough".
John Stephens
Locomotive Engineer
Marquette Rail
Genesee & Wyoming Inc.
JohnS

Unread postby Griphos » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:13 pm

jalsina wrote:Buzz means driving a loco seriously, without chatting and doing social stuff along the route. It is like the TSW Facebook.

I don't chat or do social stuff when I'm in TSW. Not sure what you're talking about there. The fact that you CAN do something (like get off the train and hunt for collectibles) doesn't mean you HAVE to.

Destined to fail?! :-) I get that some people don't like it, but calling it names and making bold prognostications about it...

I'll wait and see what it develops into. So far, I like driving it well enough.

P.S. Go EAGLES!!!! (Sorry, that just bubbles out of me every now and then today for some reason)
Griphos

Unread postby buzz456 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:43 pm

We are entitled to our opinions as long as it doesn't get personal between us. It's just that many of us feel that DTG would have been better served improving the existing sim rather than jumping into something that looking back on it they didn't fully understand or so it appears. Fixing some of the long standing core issues can't be that difficult or so it would seem.
Buzz
39 and holding.
buzz456
Site Admin

Unread postby JohnS » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:19 pm

buzz456 wrote:We are entitled to our opinions as long as it doesn't get personal between us. It's just that many of us feel that DTG would have been better served improving the existing sim rather than jumping into something that looking back on it they didn't fully understand or so it appears. Fixing some of the long standing core issues can't be that difficult or so it would seem.

It would have been nice to see them spend the time and money fixing what they have. So much potential in the existing sim.
John Stephens
Locomotive Engineer
Marquette Rail
Genesee & Wyoming Inc.
JohnS

Unread postby buzz456 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:40 pm

Yeah if anyone would have told me we would have such wonderful things like Walter's wagon sounds or Mike Rennie's awesome work or Searchlight Simulation's contributions I would have told them they were nuts but here we are with all of them to enjoy.
Buzz
39 and holding.
buzz456
Site Admin

Unread postby SAR704 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:16 am

After looking at a screenshot of line adjacent to a creek on what seems to be an embankment, I'm just wondering, is the terrain formed through actual squares like in TS which are adjusted at the corners, or some other method?

This game looks much better than Trainz - A new Era in my opinion. Sorry if this hurts the feelings of a few, but the new graphics engine looks great in my opinion.

The only problem is that adding scenery to 10kms of track could possibly take 5 times as long compared to TS2018. I would love to see a version of the Central Australia railway in a train sim (preferably not Trainz), but the foliage alone is an absolute nightmare to place even in TS.
Geforce GTX 1060
8GB RAM
Intel Core i3-3220 3.30ghz
SAR704

Unread postby Boss1 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:50 am

SD40Australia wrote:
artimrj wrote:
buzz456 wrote:Yawn.

Now that's funny *!lol!*

Buzz is very patriotic !!*ok*!! !*YAAA*! !*roll-laugh*!

Now the thread over at UKtrainsim is going nuts. http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic. ... &start=105

I bet DTG have a US route or more in the pipe but are just being silent.

I wonder if they will 'redo' Cajon Pass since they have gone and redone GWR?

I really hope that the Cascades route can get built.

I would really like to see a redo of Cajon Pass!
I-7 4770K @ 4.5 Ghz, EVGA 1080ti 11Gb SC2 Gaming, Corsair H110 water cooler, Asus Maximus VI Hero, EVGA Supernova 1000 watt power supply, Team Extreme LV 16 Gb ram @2100 MHz, Four Samsung Evo solid state drives, Windows 10 64 bit.
Boss1

Unread postby thegevo5k » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:53 am

Boss1 wrote:
SD40Australia wrote:
artimrj wrote:
buzz456 wrote:Yawn.

Now that's funny *!lol!*

Buzz is very patriotic !!*ok*!! !*YAAA*! !*roll-laugh*!

Now the thread over at UKtrainsim is going nuts. http://forums.uktrainsim.com/viewtopic. ... &start=105

I bet DTG have a US route or more in the pipe but are just being silent.

I wonder if they will 'redo' Cajon Pass since they have gone and redone GWR?

I really hope that the Cascades route can get built.

I would really like to see a redo of Cajon Pass!

I wouldn't be surprised if Cajon comes to TSW. Most of Cajon is pretty bare in terms of scenery.
thegevo5k

PreviousNext

Return to TSW Routes