Driving tactics, please?

Get help for TSW - running it, problems you may have, advice needed...

Moderator: ricksan

Driving tactics, please?

Unread postby OldProf » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:51 am

One of the scenarios (I think it's Ice and Snow) involves a long, uneven climb through an assortment of weather conditions hauling a very long train. For quite a stretch, the speed limit is 50 mph, but that drops to 25 on a very steep stretch. Since I'm using the HUD, I can see that speed limit drop coming from more than a mile away and I just don't know how to deal with it. Taking advantage of save & resume, I've tried several approaches, but always wind up heading for an undesired stop on the slope. I'd really appreciate some advice from a bear who has successfully gotten over the mountain.
Tom Pallen (Old Prof)

{Win 10 Home 64-bit; Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz; 16.0GB Single-Channel @ 1063 MHz (15-15-15-364); 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960}
OldProf

Re: Driving tactics, please?

Unread postby AmericanSteam » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:50 pm

I usually notch down a little at a time giving time to settle so by the I am at the speed change I am close to the limit. I also need to consider the increase in grade as well. Practice.
TS2019 64 bit, Intel I7 6700K, Liquid Cooled, ASUS GTX 1060 6 GB,
32 GB DDR-4 3200 MHz, Samsung 500 GB 970 EVO PLus M.2 system drive, Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2 drive for TS2019
Using a Raildriver and TS2019 Raildriver interface by Cobra One and RW Enhancer.
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9-N4b ... subscriber
AmericanSteam

Unread postby GP15Dash1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:45 pm

It helps a LOT to know the route well. One of the ways you can do that is to grab an employee timetable off the Internet. Do a Google search for a 2005 CSX Baltimore Division Timetable you can download that's close enough...a lot of the posted speed in the sim are different from what's in the timetable, but it's a start. You can use the timetable to keep track of where you are -- the number boards on the signals show their milepost location (the four digit number before the hyphen), and that will help. Keep using the HUD for signals and speed limits ahead, but be aware that there's at least one spot where your train is likely to be longer than a speed zone, so you might not get much warning about the next speed reduction you need to make.

Coming up the hill from Cumberland and approaching Hyndman, there's a crossover at about MP 190.2 that makes a good landmark to look for. You'll have a good amount of speed coming up to it, since you've been in a 50 MPH zone for several miles. As you pass the crossover, pull the throttle back to idle and let the train start to slow down. A mile or so after that, you'll see a curve ahead. Just before you enter the curve, make an initial set with the automatic brake. Bail off the independent brake. Watch your speed. Release the automatic brakes when you're still doing about 30-35 mph. The train will continue to slow because the brakes don't release along the whole train all at once. After a few seconds, you can start notching up the throttle again. In this case, don't go above Notch 4, so you don't start to accelerate again. As you know, shortly after you cross the bridge at the far side of downtown Hyndman, the speed limit drops to 25 so don't let the train get faster than that.

Hope that helps.
Best Regards,
Kurt Kalbfleisch
Pinner, UK
GP15Dash1

Unread postby OldProf » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:53 pm

Many thanks, Kurt. I'll have to print your instructions and keep them from being eaten by my desk until I get back to that scenario.
Tom Pallen (Old Prof)

{Win 10 Home 64-bit; Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz; 16.0GB Single-Channel @ 1063 MHz (15-15-15-364); 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960}
OldProf

Return to TSW Help forum