How to install Loft Bridges with Abutments

Discussion about RailWorks route design.

How to install Loft Bridges with Abutments

Unread postby railduffer » Wed May 23, 2018 8:10 am

I am trying to install bridges on my route. I understand the loft procedure I think. I am trying to install a bridge from my assets list that includes the abutments. When I attach the bridge to the Loft Line (the yellow line) the bridge installs great except there is only one abutment on one end. How do I install the bridge with both abutments?
Also, I have the same trouble with bridge track guard rails. They cut off on one end.
I think this is a novice question, but I would be grateful for help.
railduffer

Re: How to install Loft Bridges with Abutments

Unread postby gwgardner » Wed May 23, 2018 8:48 am

Don't know if this will help, but ...

I use loft bridges often, but then go to the standard scenery objects to find abutments which I can place below the loft. Same for pylons to hold up the bridges.
gwgardner

Unread postby GT46PAC » Wed May 23, 2018 10:10 am

I understand the loft procedure I think

Yes, bridges, platforms, fences, electricity poles etc all are made as loft to be used in game
the bridge installs great except there is only one abutment on one end

A loft object can be attached with 3 static geometries stating Start Middle and End. All are respectively attached via Blueprint Editor.
Basically taking an example for RailNetwork->Tracks, buffers are Start and End Geometry and Middle Geometry is used for 3D sleepers with population defined.
Same in case of Bridges, An abutment should be attached as Start and End Geometry.
For the above Bridge you might need to look at bin file to see is there any of the above present properly.
In case as you state, I suspect there is only one static scenery added with the loft ( either END or BEGIN ).
Same with the case of Guard Rails.
I hope this little explanation helps you.
In case you don't want to look around, a basic idea is to manually place Abutments (if you have any) on both side and press TAB to align it with the tracks.
GT46PAC

Unread postby Tomcat » Wed May 23, 2018 11:49 am

Which specific lofts are you using?

It has happened to me in the past. although very rarely. I'll take a bridge loft that has abutments at both ends and it will place correctly, then using the same loft in another location it will only have an abutment at one end. Sometimes relaying the bridge fixes the problem, and then every once in a great while no matter how many times I try, it only has an abutment at one end. Like others have suggested, using separate abutment assets will do the trick and sometimes be much less frustrating.

If you really like the abutments on the bridge loft and have no suitable separate abutment assets then you can try the following and see if there is any joy;

1) Save the route after placing the bridge and exit the game completely and restart. Sometimes this causes a 'missing' piece to reappear.

2) If you are offsetting, extend the bridge some distance beyond where it would end and then use the split tool to cut the loft at the correct length and delete the now extraneous extension. Sometimes this forces the abutment to appear. Sometimes this works, sometimes not.

3) If the track is straight and level then lay the loft next to the track and draw it out halfway. Now move to the side a bit and lay out the other half of the bridge. If this is like what I have seen before then you should have two halves of a bridge with an abutment at the starting point of each loft section. Now use the join tool and click on the non-abutment end of one piece and then click again on the non-abutment end of the other section. This will flip one section around so that abutments now appear correctly at either end of the joined segment. Select both sections of the joined segment and move them into place under the track or road.

If your track has a gradient then lay the first piece with the same gradient value as long as you are drawing it out in the same direction. Lay the second piece with an equal and opposite gradient (i.e. first piece at 1.0% and 2nd piece at -1.0%). Now when you use the join tool to flip one section around they will both have the same gradient value.

If the track is curved then it is much more frustrating to use the above procedure and using separate abutments assets would be the way to go unless you are willing to spend a fair amount of time trying to match the curve.

With bridge track that has the guards bending inwards at only one end you can try the procedures outlined above for bridges and see if they work. I would only caution you to be wary of making any short track segments. I personally will not make any track sections shorter than 20 or so meters and I try as hard as possible to make any segment as long as possible. Frankly, it makes me nervous to make any segments shorter than 50 meters because of the possibility of creating a bump in the track (Yes, even on perfectly straight track) that results in a hard lateral jolt as you go over the spot sitting in the cab.

Hope this helps.
Tomcat

Unread postby railduffer » Thu May 24, 2018 8:11 am

Thank you guys. I will try your suggestions. I warn you I have no skill or knowledge of blueprints and how to use them.
railduffer

Unread postby GT46PAC » Thu May 24, 2018 1:50 pm

railduffer wrote:I warn you I have no skill or knowledge of blueprints and how to use them.

Neither I had many moons ago. !!howdy!!
GT46PAC

Return to Route Design