Marias Pass

Discussion about RailWorks route design.

Re: Marias Pass

Unread postby micaelcorleone » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:03 am

bnsf subdivision wrote:hi

i m sorry that i ask you all so often but i m new with ReDem and i dont now how to use it.I now there is a tutorial comes with the program but i still dont now were to find my markers for the route.
I searched at google for some tutorials how to use the program but i dont found something.
Any idea were i can get a good tutorial.Or is here someone in that forum who made a route with ReDem and can help me?

Haha, another German-American Railworker. :D Nice to see. !!*ok*!!
Hey, it's no problem. This is what the forum is for, that we developers can help each other.

You need to download Google Earth. Best is to set it into English and then go to "Tools" -> "Options".
Here you can change the setting so that it'll show the data in long and lat.
If you want you can also change it from kilometers into miles, but this is not necessary. (See attachement 1 under my post!)

After that you'll have to create some markers. Search your route on the globe and use the yellow pin which can be found in the upper line.
Drag and drop these pins where you want them to (follow the tracks).
Make sure that you've set up a Subfolder under "My Places" in the left column of Google Earth. (See attachement 2!)
Before you place all the Markers, select this folder so that all Markers will be stored in it.

After you've completed the Marker placement, rightklick the subfolder where your new Markers are stored and klick "Save place as..".
Enter a place where you want to save the folder (I recommend to set up an extra folder for the route under "Documents").
Attention: Save the Marker folder as a ".kml" file, otherwise it won't work with RWTools. (".kmz" is default in Google Earth)

Now you have a ".kml" file with all the Marker data in it (Remember that your PC Formats must be set to "English (USA)"!)

Start RWTools.
(Run it as an Administrator if you use Vista or Windows 7!)

Browse "Help" -> "Contents". Here you'll find an instruction how to create a ".csv" file out of the ".kml" file that you've created with Google Earth.
Save this ".csv" file.
(You can use this Marker file (".csv") not only in ReDem, but also in RWTools to create some location Markers for your route that'll make it easier for you to fly to certain places immediately.
For this you'll have to use the "Route Building Tools" -> "Marker Files" -> "Convert .csv Direct to DCSV".)

Now open ReDem.
Set the start coordinates of the route.
Remember: This start coordinate should also be included as a Marker in the ".csv"/".kml" file you've created before.

Now you can load your Markers (the ".csv" file). If you've done everything right they should load into ReDem without any problems.
Now you can progress.

Any questions? Immer her damit! *!!wink!!*
Attachments
Aufzeichnen.JPG
Aufzeichnen.JPG (69.9 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
Aufzeichnen2.JPG
micaelcorleone

Unread postby bnsfsubdivision » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:03 am

Hi

WOWWW thank you for great tutorial !*brav*! !*YAAA*! .It help me real and now i now how to get markers.
Thank you very much.
I wanne test it now and hope i get them work.I post a message here when i had made the terrain.
Kevin Schulz
Artist - Searchlight Simulations
bnsfsubdivision
Forum Mod

Unread postby Trainguy76 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:13 am

Hiya, I recommend for your markers, you create a "Path" that follows the track. If you look at my example I have followed the track, and the result is my route's track being very accurate without the need to follow RWDecal. The process is the same as Micheal explained, you just use a path instead.
Attachments
path.JPG
path.JPG (100.63 KiB) Viewed 1363 times
Trainguy76

Unread postby micaelcorleone » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:16 am

Trainguy76 wrote:Hiya, I recommend for your markers, you create a "Path" that follows the track. If you look at my example I have followed the track, and the result is my route's track being very accurate without the need to follow RWDecal. The process is the same as Micheal explained, you just use a path instead.

In my opinion RWDecal is easier as you'll need it anyway to place the scenery, but that's a matter of taste I think. (I've never tried the Path method for track laying.)

P.S. Can I spot the Tehachapi Pass in your pic Trainguy? *!greengrin!*
Last edited by micaelcorleone on Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
micaelcorleone

Unread postby Trainguy76 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:22 am

micaelcorleone wrote:
In my opinion RWDecal is easier as you'll need it anyway to place the scenery, but that's a matter of taste I think. (I've never tried the Path method for track laying.)

I use both, because the path really stands out from the ground in RW, and I use RWDecal for the scenery.

P.S. Can I spot the Tehapachi Pass in your pic Trainguy? *!greengrin!*

Yeah, I was just toying with the idea, because of that one route that came out that just had the loop in it. I wanted to see how accurate it was, and it turned out that the route (In RW) was somewhere in Texas.
Trainguy76

Unread postby micaelcorleone » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:23 am

Trainguy76 wrote:Yeah, I was just toying with the idea, because of that one route that came out that just had the loop in it. I wanted to see how accurate it was, and it turned out that the route (In RW) was somewhere in Texas.

Haha, that's funny. !*roll-laugh*!
The Eyes of Texas are upon You!
micaelcorleone

Unread postby bnsfsubdivision » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:45 am

hi

ok now i need the DEM files.The problem is i didnt now how to get them but i came on this page:http://www.vterrain.org/Misc/usgs_data.html
Need i the page or am i wrong.
Kevin Schulz
bnsfsubdivision
Forum Mod

Unread postby Trainguy76 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:50 am

Hiya, I don't use ReDem, so I can't really help with that, but if you did not want to use it, you would place the DEM you download from HERE into your railworks\DEM\SRTM\ folder. And you would use it by pressing "T" in the editor.
Trainguy76

Unread postby micaelcorleone » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:51 am

ok now i need the DEM files.The problem is i didnt now how to get them but i came on this page:http://www.vterrain.org/Misc/usgs_data.html
Need i the page or am i wrong.

So it worked? Nice.
If you look in the ReDem Manual you can see that this page is recommended: http://seamless.usgs.gov/website/seamless/viewer.htm
How to grab and download the coordinates is also explained in the manual, but ask if something isn't clear.

Remember: Only the payware ReDem will create the complete Terrain files.
micaelcorleone

Unread postby bnsfsubdivision » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:53 am

Thank you both guys

I look what i can do
Kevin Schulz
bnsfsubdivision
Forum Mod

Unread postby bnsfsubdivision » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:51 pm

hi

i m so sad to say this but it didnt work.I test everything.I downloaded the DEM fiels from the link trainguy sent me but i couldnt change the lat. and lon. coordinates in railworks to get into the position of the DEM file.
I think i have to make The Maria Pass without real terrain and just make it by hand.Hope the guy who build the other maria pass can get the real terrain and sent me the files after he finished. !*don-know!* *!sad!* *!sad!*
Now i want to look a litle bit in the internet and maybe find out how to get the terrain.But dont worry.I will make the Maria Pass as soon as i now a way how to get the real position in railworks for the beginning of the route.
Kevin Schulz
bnsfsubdivision
Forum Mod

Unread postby Trainguy76 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:06 pm

Hi, when you create the route, you put it in it's real world position, you have already created it, so you can't unless you restart the route.
Trainguy76

Unread postby micaelcorleone » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:07 pm

i m so sad to say this but it didnt work.I test everything.I downloaded the DEM fiels from the link trainguy sent me but i couldnt change the lat. and lon. coordinates in railworks to get into the position of the DEM file.
I think i have to make The Maria Pass without real terrain and just make it by hand.Hope the guy who build the other maria pass can get the real terrain and sent me the files after he finished. !*don-know!* *!sad!* *!sad!*
Now i want to look a litle bit in the internet and maybe find out how to get the terrain.But dont worry.I will make the Maria Pass as soon as i now a way how to get the real position in railworks for the beginning of the route.

Have you treid to set up the Terrain with ReDem.
I think the Terrain files which Trainguy has sent you are meant if you don't use ReDem.

If you want to set up the coordinates in Railworks, you'll need to create a new route template either with RWTools or in hte RW menu under the point "Editor".
If you want to insert the Terrain into your route template, browse "Programme/Steam/Steamapps/Common/Railworks/Content/Routes/deine route/Terrain.
Copy the ".Bin" files out of the folder in which they are saved into this path (Terrain folder of your route).
After that clear the blueprint cache of Railworks and start your route.
micaelcorleone

Unread postby bnsfsubdivision » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:00 am

hi

now i start a new route and start my route at this coordinations : Latitude 48.414030° Longitude -114.350416°.I paste the DEM file N48W114.hgt in C:/Railworks/DEM/SRTM/new folder.
After them i start Railworks and press T in the editor mode but nothing happened.Now i dont now what i do wrong.
Kevin Schulz
bnsfsubdivision
Forum Mod

Unread postby thecanadianrail » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:24 am

did the map server give you multiple downloads on the download page, if so you need all of them, each is for a part of your selected area, i found out the hard way.....to do this all you need to do after you download the files use ReDem to download each of them into your route's terrain folder. if your route doesn't have this folder like mine, just make one named terrain in it's correct location.
Canadian National Railways
Courtesy and Service

Proud supporter/builder of the Montana Rail Link project
thecanadianrail

PreviousNext

Return to Route Design