API Key not working at all today.

Discussion about RailWorks route design.

Re: API Key not working at all today.

Unread postby TheKman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:53 pm

jgvaughan wrote:The Google API key is working fine for me in both the 32bit and 64bit version of TS2019.

OK, if it's not been nosey, did you fill out that billing crap? This had been bugging me all day. **!!bang!!** I still can't find any CLEAR clarification if you don't engage the billing and provide CC info if the API will still work.. !*don-know!*

Of course Google says YOU HAVE TO PAY PERIOD. !!bang!! Many have said the API wouldn't work till the CC info was disclosed. One guy said he did provide the CC info and it STILL wouldn't work. !*not-ok*! Others report like you, that it works just fine or it works and they didn't do a thing when the new policy went into affect. And a number of people say it'll work with out billing and CC info just that the maps will be in low resolution. Heck I don't mind low resolution!!! When it was working for me I think the imagery was low rez to begin with.
TheKman

Unread postby jgvaughan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:41 pm

I have only had one API key and I've had it for a while. I've never added any credit card info to my account. So I'm not sure what may be the difference other than I'm a very minimal user at this time. My route is very small when you consider I'm working within a 3x3 tile area right now to basically learn all the different facets of route building.
Jim
Intel Core i7-6700K, 32GB Corsair DDR4-3200, 2x1TB SSD, 2x512GB SSD, 8TB Raid Storage, Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 6G OC, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, LG 34UM95 Monitor

"One Line, Infinite Possibilities" -- Norfolk Southern
jgvaughan

Unread postby SAR704 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:11 am

Same here. I haven't been using the overlay much at all lately, but I haven't seen infinite circles except on the occasional tile. When I navigate to another part of the route and then return to the one in question, it tends to load eventually.
Geforce GTX 1060
8GB RAM
Intel Core i3-3220 3.30ghz
SAR704

Unread postby TheKman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:04 pm

Well, been 4 days now that the overlay has not worked.

Here is what I've tried to date so far to get it to work.

1. API key is correctly typed in the TS settings. Google API Console as well as Google Cloud Platform report the API is enabled. So I gather the problem is not one asscoaited with Google wanting the CC info....

2. I have tried all the routes I have DEM for and it won't work on any of them.

3. I have read that the map settings within the sim might cause it not to work if they are set too high. Changed all those to the lowest settings and tried all 4 map types. Still wouldn't work.

4. All my firewalls already have both Steam and the sim checked to accept both. So that may not be the problem.

5. According to a online test by both Xfinity (my internet carrier) and two other checking sites, the speed is just fine. Download speed 17.4, upload speed 2.8

6. Windows 10 updates. I don't run them. They seem to cause me more trouble than good. I have read that curent updates will solve the problem while also reading a windows update might have been what fudged the overlay. I have deleated all the update that my computer would allow. There are a few it won't let me delete. Not too gung ho to run any new Windows updates to see if that fixes things.

7. No new programs or other apps added before the problem began.

8. Nothing new added to the sim recently prior to the problem. Only Steam update was after the problem began and that update was for TS 2019.

9. Computer restore points prior to the date of the problem didn't work.

10. Did a graphics card update for the drivers. No effect. I have a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 180. Computer reports the device is working OK. The graphics card has not been any sort of a issue in the past.

So now I'm down to two options. Either uninstall/reinstall TS, or do a factory reset of my compuer..... I'm copying EVERYTHING off my computer on to one of my external drives. It has 3 TB left on it. More than enough to handle the job. In the end doing all this may or may not solve the problem....... It'll just waste my day.....
TheKman

Unread postby BoostedFridge » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:21 pm

Have you considered adding your billing info to your google account?
SP Siskiyou Line - Scenery WIP
BoostedFridge

Unread postby TheKman » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:37 pm

BoostedFridge wrote:Have you considered adding your billing info to your google account?

If that's what is going to take, I may have to pass. I have read and talked with those who did pay and it still would not work. One person tried for solid week after giving the bastards his CC info with no luck. Besides, the page for billing hardly ever works on my end. It always stalls out with a error saying failed. And many are still using a API and have not paid or given out CC info.
TheKman

Unread postby TheKman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:44 pm

I found a good tutorial on how to route build old school. I have never tried it, but it was rather easy for me. Honestly, not that much different to work with compared to the API. I made markers and got them into the sim for a route I've been working on for 8 months. So I'm back in business!!! Enclosed is the link for the tutorial. For those who can't obtain the API, this will do the trick.

http://www.rstools.info/tutorials/Marker_Tutorial.pdf
TheKman

Previous

Return to Route Design