fecrails

The editor has arrived!

Unread postby TheRailWorkshop » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:17 am

Very good news indeed!
X64 TS + TSW Editors
TheRailWorkshop

Re: The editor has arrived!

Unread postby BNSFdude » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:50 am

Yeah except you can only share on Steam Workshop and store through their partner program crap.
You won't see anything from me for it at 40% of the pay.

This will go like how PMDG said FSW would before it bellied up. Force all third parties into a partnership and have no ability to distribute like how you want to.
Anthony Wood
Audio Engineer - Searchlight Simulations
BNSFdude
Forum Mod

Unread postby _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:13 pm

Is this more than a pre-release announcement?

Open Beta to be released sometime before X-mas??

DTG are spreading their already limited resources very thin indeed.

We'll have to wait and see for ourselves in due course, but the advice given is very valid: Install UE4, play and learn.
Edwin "Kanawha"
The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)
_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha

Unread postby Boss1 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 1:10 pm

At least it is coming.
I-7 4770K @ 4.5 Ghz, EVGA 1080ti 11Gb SC2 Gaming, Corsair H110 water cooler, Asus Maximus VI Hero, EVGA Supernova 1000 watt power supply, Team Extreme LV 16 Gb ram @2100 MHz, Four Samsung Evo solid state drives, Windows 10 64 bit.
Boss1

Unread postby artimrj » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:02 pm

Gee, that doesn't look too complicated... !**duh*!!
Bob Artim - Generation X²
I don't have a PHD, I have a DD214... Freedom carries sacrifice

6th Gen i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz, 16 gig, NVidia GTX 970 4 Gig, 5 TB of Maxtor HDs, 128 Gig SSD, 800 W PSU & Win 10 64 bit
artimrj
Site Admin

Unread postby hminky » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:54 pm

artimrj wrote:Gee, that doesn't look too complicated... !**duh*!!

Downloaded UE-4 when Jointed Rail announced their UE based simulator.

Definitely not user friendly, big learning curve.

Harold
hminky

The editor has arrived!

Unread postby TheRailWorkshop » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:57 am

Do third party need to pay Epic Games also as they used their editor to make some cash apart from DTG and Steam.
Last edited by TheRailWorkshop on Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheRailWorkshop

Unread postby JOHNtheREDNECK » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:52 am

So now my question is... What is the capacity of the game in terms of route size?

We know Dovetail has been making routes short because of time limitations (it takes much longer to make say 10 miles of a route in TSW than TSXX)

So I'm curious if anyone will be willing to push the bounds of the game and make a route somewhere in the 50-60+ mile range.

This editor is going to add a whole new dimension to the sim and allow people to find the outer limits of what the game can do...

I also wonder if a terrain import feature will either be available or implemented in the future similar to the TSXX series.
New York State is not the same as New York City
JOHNtheREDNECK

Unread postby _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:33 pm

I don’t think there is any other way apart from applying yourself to the task.

A tailored UE4 editor is all that DTG can provide, and even this tailoring to our needs is a huge undertaking on DTG’s part, for which we should be thankful.

Going UE4 probably relieves DTG from the responsibility and task of providing complete and comprehensive documentation, instead all the available UE4 docs and tutorials can be used to learn and master, and dedicated players can already give themselves a head start.

Hopefully, train makeup and scenario creation are amongst the more simpler tasks?

Perhaps in the far future, if and when TSW has really taken off, a commercial party might program and sell a truly WYSIWYG editor suitable for novices players, i.e. a consist creator akin to those available for MSTS, or a scenario creator??
Edwin "Kanawha"
The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)
_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha

Unread postby buzz456 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:07 pm

I think and I know I will be criticized again but I think it's a good thing for DTG viability to go with their 64 bit TS2019 so we can continue to enjoy the huge amount of everything already out there and continuing to be developed for TS.
Buzz
39 and holding.
"Some people find fault like there's a reward for it."- Zig Ziglar
"If you can dream it you can do it."- Walt Disney
buzz456
Site Admin

Unread postby jgvaughan » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:21 pm

buzz456 wrote:I think and I know I will be criticized again but I think it's a good thing for DTG viability to go with their 64 bit TS2019 so we can continue to enjoy the huge amount of everything already out there and continuing to be developed for TS.

Totally agree...I'll be satisfied with whatever is available for TSW while it matures, for now, I'll just continue to enjoy TS20xx and whatever the future for it holds.
Jim
Intel Core i7-6700K, 32GB Corsair DDR4-3200, 2x1TB SSD, 2x512GB SSD, 8TB Raid Storage, Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1060 6G OC, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, LG 34UM95 Monitor

"One Line, Infinite Possibilities" -- Norfolk Southern
jgvaughan

Unread postby _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:48 am

buzz456 wrote:I think and I know I will be criticized again but I think it's a good thing for DTG viability to go with their 64 bit TS2019 so we can continue to enjoy the huge amount of everything already out there and continuing to be developed for TS.

I don't argue with this. TSW isn't going anywhere soon and certainly isn't raking in heaps of profit for DTG at the moment and probably will not until all promises have been delivered and the majority of the more demanding customers are satisfied with the physics and operation side of things.

So giving TSxx a few more years is a commercially sensible option to sustain DTG in developing TSW.
Edwin "Kanawha"
_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha

Unread postby QcRail » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:33 am

I'am quite impressed by this anouncement, and hopeful to have such a set of tools ''optimised'' to TSxxxx. Yes, the only sreen grab shows all the possible sub-menus that one can open; just for us to think it will do wonders - usage and real use will tell!

It has been raised that it looks not ''user frienly''. Nothing new here; all major serious players in 2D or 3D are adopting similar software structure and graphical looks. Photoshop, ++ , even the new beta 2.9 version of Blender is restructuring its complex 3D product. Complexity perhaps, but we will be compensated by a similar look and feel in menu structures, and hopefully, key shortcuts, etc. At least I'm optimist.

BUT, I would like to suggest that we, as happy simmers, be proactive and start a new, well structured forum dedicated to this new editorial tool. Yes, You-Tube will always have videos. But we could have a simple mission : educate and help future creators with TUTORIALS' manuals, doc, how-to's, etc. adapted to TSxxxx. Furthermore it would be a centralized archive with thematized categories, such as locomotive and rolling stock or route building.

Let's change complexity to simplicity, with fun **!!2cents!!** + !*cheers*!

QcRail
QcRail

Unread postby _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:06 am

Good ideas.

The forum admins will no doubt create these forums once the editor is out.
Edwin "Kanawha"
_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha

Next

Return to TSW General Forum