West Somerset Railway

West Somerset Railway

Unread postby NorthernWarrior » Wed May 02, 2018 8:55 am

May be of interest to those with any lingering loyalty to DTG and their products:

https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/liv ... -the-beach

No mention of any steam traction on this heritage railway and I will eat my hat if the diesels offer anything other than flawed Simugraph physics where the throttle acts as a speed setting.

The only way I will acquire this is if they offer a credit note to the FSW buyers they turned their back on and kept the money after cancelling the project. :)

!!**sorry**!!
Vern
NorthernWarrior

Re: West Somerset Railway

Unread postby thegevo5k » Wed May 02, 2018 9:21 am

So a steam heritage railway with no steam? !*roll-laugh*!
Martin
thegevo5k

Unread postby PNWR1854 » Wed May 02, 2018 9:30 am

Steamers probably a hassle to make for TSW, just my guess.
ImageImageImageImageImage
PNWR1854

Unread postby GERUNIMO625 » Wed May 02, 2018 11:50 am

I really enjoy the TS2016 version of the route. Here's hoping they plan to add steam later.
The screenshot next to the stream looks amazing.
Jerry
GERUNIMO625

Unread postby GT46PAC » Wed May 02, 2018 12:46 pm

The only way I will acquire this is if they offer a credit note to the FSW buyers they turned their back on and kept the money after cancelling the project. :)

This FSW thing is sad indeed.
GT46PAC

Unread postby NorthernWarrior » Thu May 03, 2018 10:40 am

Unfortunately the choice of Class 47 is probably the least iconic of the WSR diesels they could have chosen. The Class 33, Hymek or Class 14 "Teddy Bear" would have gone down much better, IMHO. With or without correct physics it will take about 10 seconds on half power to accelerate to line speed of 25 MPH (less in places) with the odd blip to keep it there. Not to mention restricting ops to a low speed heritage line nicely covers up any physics deficiency at the top end of the power/speed curve...
Vern
NorthernWarrior

Unread postby NorthernWarrior » Fri May 25, 2018 2:04 am

Well, it's out, but...

...seems to be garnering mixed reception over at UKTS, based on the handful of people who have posted comments. It *does* look nice but evident from the scattering of You Tube clips that - the sounds are pretty dire and accelerating to 25 MPH in Notch 2 or 3 for a few seconds offers no proof as to whether they've improved the physics. The Mark One coach interiors look pretty good though so assuming passenger mode is available could treat it as an interactive ride-along!
Vern
NorthernWarrior

Unread postby bnsfsubdivision » Fri May 25, 2018 3:04 am

If you want a true and honest review, check out Alan Thomsons recap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amMamxQ ... e=youtu.be
Kevin Schulz
Artist - Searchlight Simulations
bnsfsubdivision
Forum Mod

Unread postby NorthernWarrior » Fri May 25, 2018 6:41 am

bnsfsubdivision wrote:If you want a true and honest review, check out Alan Thomsons recap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amMamxQ ... e=youtu.be

Thanks Kev, I'll take a look in full later but judging by the comments not that complimentary. Just wondering though, is that the same Alan Thomson involved previously in product for Railworks/TS20xx?

So frustrating because we know this company can be capable of really good things, but the FSW debacle followed by this lacklustre further addition to TSW almost gives the impression they are intent on self destruction.
Vern
NorthernWarrior

Unread postby NorthernWarrior » Fri May 25, 2018 7:52 am

Well...

Watched about 40 mins of the Alan Thomson review. You can tell the guy is seething with frustration as this could have been so good. But a 47 that produces no clag, no appreciable sound, doesn't sustain wheelspin or derail taking a curve too fast is worthless. The squeaky clean environment is more cartoon like than Trainz or anime. As he commented when walking round the buildings, looks more like a cartoon than lifelike.

I admit to previously almost clicking the buy button, but after watching the YT clip money will be staying firmly in my pocket.
Vern
NorthernWarrior

Unread postby JOHNtheREDNECK » Fri May 25, 2018 8:23 am

So we know now that Dovetail can make incredible models. The question now is, what else can they get right? !*roll-laugh*!
New York State is not the same as New York City
JOHNtheREDNECK

Unread postby NorthernWarrior » Fri May 25, 2018 8:57 am

JOHNtheREDNECK wrote:So we know now that Dovetail can make incredible models. The question now is, what else can they get right? !*roll-laugh*!

This is where it gets frustrating, John. All the little touches are there, the interactivity, the potential for immersion, attention to many details - but blown out the water by arcade physics and laughable audio. They really need to get a better sound team and ditch Simugraph, if this series is to have any future. Sadly to some extent, we are seeing the same thing emerge leading up to the next version of Trainz. Lots of emphasis on graphical improvements, but if you mention sound, physics or operational perspective at best it is dismissed as wish-listing, at worst you're labelled a troublemaker.

All I want from life is a sim which fulfils in all areas and offers a reasonably easy sandbox to build my own routes. Sadly none of the existing crop tick all the boxes.
Vern
NorthernWarrior

Unread postby JOHNtheREDNECK » Fri May 25, 2018 9:11 am

NorthernWarrior wrote:
JOHNtheREDNECK wrote:So we know now that Dovetail can make incredible models. The question now is, what else can they get right? !*roll-laugh*!

This is where it gets frustrating, John. All the little touches are there, the interactivity, the potential for immersion, attention to many details - but blown out the water by arcade physics and laughable audio. They really need to get a better sound team and ditch Simugraph, if this series is to have any future. Sadly to some extent, we are seeing the same thing emerge leading up to the next version of Trainz. Lots of emphasis on graphical improvements, but if you mention sound, physics or operational perspective at best it is dismissed as wish-listing, at worst you're labelled a troublemaker.

All I want from life is a sim which fulfils in all areas and offers a reasonably easy sandbox to build my own routes. Sadly none of the existing crop tick all the boxes.

If they took the regular game and just added an ability to walk around and climb rollingstock similar to run8 I would've been happy lol. There is a reason why I refunded my pre-order and don't have any regerts. (and I am aware of the spelling mistake grammar sticklers) !*roll-laugh*!
New York State is not the same as New York City
JOHNtheREDNECK

Unread postby PNWR1854 » Fri May 25, 2018 10:07 am

Run 8 is actually not bad. Fun to have multiplayer op sessions with my friends. Expensive, but very realistic.
ImageImageImageImageImage
PNWR1854

Unread postby gwgardner » Fri May 25, 2018 1:51 pm

NorthernWarrior wrote:May be of interest to those with any lingering loyalty to DTG and their products:

Comments like that are silly. DTG has given me 10 years of free updates and tons of content. Can't imagine a better game company.
gwgardner

Next

Return to TSW General Forum