West Somerset Railway

Re: West Somerset Railway

Unread postby GT46PAC » Fri May 25, 2018 2:06 pm

gwgardner wrote:
NorthernWarrior wrote:May be of interest to those with any lingering loyalty to DTG and their products:

Comments like that are silly. DTG has given me 10 years of free updates and tons of content. Can't imagine a better game company.

+1
Look how Auran (N3V) charges every time they release a new version.
GT46PAC

Unread postby NorthernWarrior » Fri May 25, 2018 3:16 pm

gwgardner wrote:
NorthernWarrior wrote:May be of interest to those with any lingering loyalty to DTG and their products:

Comments like that are silly. DTG has given me 10 years of free updates and tons of content. Can't imagine a better game company.

If you say so... But I stand by my assertion. DTG are in this for the money pure and simple. Sure there has been some good stuff over the years but IMHO TSW is sheer money grabbing mediocrity. However any feeling of loyalty on their part to their customers has long gone - they took payment up front for early access to Flight Sim world, then promptly canned the project with no offer of a refund to the poor saps they diddled out of their money. They take little to no notice about feedback about faults either in the heritage game or TSW, let alone fix them. If they did, West Somerset would not have released with a Class 47 that has so many flaws. Personally I find it difficult to imagine a worse game company, both in terms of their quality control and business ethics. They've been doing the train sim "thing" for 11 years, more for those who came from Kuju. No excuse for not getting the basics right.

Sorry if that doesn't sit with the positive approach normally encouraged here but I don't think there's a set of blinkers or rose tinted spectacles to make me see otherwise. By comparison, N3V/Auran are consummate professionals...
Vern
NorthernWarrior

Unread postby BNSFdude » Fri May 25, 2018 3:31 pm

gwgardner wrote:

You mean 10 years of new GUI, background menu hype music, and language support you likely don't care about?

And by tons of content, do you mean ripping off 3rd party devs by charging a third of sales profits to host their work on Steam, all without offering much of anything as far as development help goes? You can't count the volunteer fire brigade they call QA, as assistance, either, as they never forward or listen to anything they say.

This leaves 3rd parties hosted by steam with only 1/3 of total profits, after Steam takes their chunk too.
Anthony Wood
Audio Engineer - Searchlight Simulations
BNSFdude
Forum Mod

Unread postby bnsfsubdivision » Fri May 25, 2018 3:36 pm

NorthernWarrior wrote:
gwgardner wrote:

If you say so... But I stand by my assertion. DTG are in this for the money pure and simple. Sure there has been some good stuff over the years but IMHO TSW is sheer money grabbing mediocrity. However any feeling of loyalty on their part to their customers has long gone - they took payment up front for early access to Flight Sim world, then promptly canned the project with no offer of a refund to the poor saps they diddled out of their money. They take little to no notice about feedback about faults either in the heritage game or TSW, let alone fix them. If they did, West Somerset would not have released with a Class 47 that has so many flaws. Personally I find it difficult to imagine a worse game company, both in terms of their quality control and business ethics. They've been doing the train sim "thing" for 11 years, more for those who came from Kuju. No excuse for not getting the basics right.

Sorry if that doesn't sit with the positive approach normally encouraged here but I don't think there's a set of blinkers or rose tinted spectacles to make me see otherwise. By comparison, N3V/Auran are consummate professionals...

Couldn't agree more with you.
Kevin Schulz
Artist - Searchlight Simulations
bnsfsubdivision
Forum Mod

Unread postby buzz456 » Fri May 25, 2018 4:00 pm

Ladies it's called capitalism. At least we weren't abandoned like when the behemoth Microsoft decided it was too small to support I continue to support them on their American content on 2018 because I don't want them to go out of business in spite of their ill conceived TSW. Nothing is perfect in this world but at this point it seems to be the best we have depending on your viewpoint. I'm still having fun and to those that are not I feel bad for you however don't ruin it for the rest of us.
Buzz
39 and holding.
"Some people find fault like there's a reward for it."- Zig Ziglar
"If you can dream it you can do it."- Walt Disney
buzz456
Site Admin

Unread postby BNSFdude » Fri May 25, 2018 4:35 pm

But look what the community has been able to do with that old simulator once Microsoft left! MSTS bin, unlocking core potential of the games original executable. Then re-writing an entirely new game with compatibility as ORTS..
Anthony Wood
Audio Engineer - Searchlight Simulations
BNSFdude
Forum Mod

Unread postby eyein12 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:41 pm

IF they want to keep TSW going they need to let 3rd party in. Period.
Home of the NEW TIER 4 GEVO PACK, SD90/80mac PACK, BNSF SEATTLE SUBDIVISION ROUTE,UPDATES and more...

http://eyein12.blogspot.com/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtWF-X ... dY7ag/feed
eyein12

Unread postby dejoh » Fri May 25, 2018 6:02 pm

eyein12 wrote:IF they want to keep TSW going they need to let 3rd party in. Period.

Completely agree. 3rd party development would open up a new world in TSW. With all the talented people on this forum, its a "No Brainer".
dejoh

Unread postby buzz456 » Fri May 25, 2018 6:23 pm

Well I for one have uninstalled TSW some time ago. Let me know if they ever get there please.
Buzz
39 and holding.
"Some people find fault like there's a reward for it."- Zig Ziglar
"If you can dream it you can do it."- Walt Disney
buzz456
Site Admin

Unread postby jalsina » Fri May 25, 2018 9:27 pm

eyein12 wrote:IF they want to keep TSW going they need to let 3rd party in. Period.

Absolutely agree with you. !!howdy!!
My TSW is getting dust somewhere deep in one of my drives and will be there until I get tools and the first third parties developments, both payware and freeware.
Intel i7-4790K (8M, 4.40 GHz) - MSI Z97 MB - 16 GB DDR3 RAM 2400 MHz
GPU EVGA GTX-1060 OC 6GB at 1920x1080, 144 Hz - Monitor ASUS VG-248QE
WD 7200 rpm HD
jalsina

Unread postby NorthernWarrior » Sat May 26, 2018 2:18 am

It would represent some improvement if there was an activity editor so you could mix and match the routes and traction, at least get a chance to see how the Class 47 performs when it can run at 90 MPH from Paddington to Reading. But here we are on the fifth (?) release for the title and aside from vague assurances tools are on the way, nothing has happened. Reminds me of that scene in the Phantom Menace when Palpatine promises the Naboo he will investigate the nefarious affairs (actually of his creation!) but then tells the Trade Federation, "In the meantime I'll make sure things stay exactly as they are in the Senate."
Vern
NorthernWarrior

Unread postby OldProf » Sat May 26, 2018 9:18 am

gwgardner wrote:

Ditto. (Has it really been only ten years?)
Tom Pallen (Old Prof)

{Win 10 Home 64-bit; Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz; 16.0GB Single-Channel @ 1063 MHz (15-15-15-364); 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960}
OldProf

Unread postby NorthernWarrior » Sat May 26, 2018 9:54 am

OldProf wrote:
gwgardner wrote:

Ditto. (Has it really been only ten years?)

So... you have nothing to add to the actual discussion about TSW (have you even watched the You Tube review) other than a pointless rose tinted sentiment?
Vern
NorthernWarrior

Unread postby artimrj » Sat May 26, 2018 10:31 am

I am in the middle. I agree with both sides. There is good and bad, I just don't let it upset me, I just keep on going. I get enjoyment and frustration. Just like the rest of my life.
Bob Artim - Generation X²
I don't have a PHD, I have a DD214... Freedom carries sacrifice

6th Gen i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz, 16 gig, NVidia GTX 970 4 Gig, 5 TB of Maxtor HDs, 128 Gig SSD, 800 W PSU & Win 10 64 bit
artimrj
Site Admin

Unread postby NorthernWarrior » Sat May 26, 2018 11:47 am

artimrj wrote:I am in the middle. I agree with both sides. There is good and bad, I just don't let it upset me, I just keep on going. I get enjoyment and frustration. Just like the rest of my life.

Actually despite appearances to the contrary, I am trying to draw something positive, by reinvesting some time in TS route building, having grown a bit weary of trying to create something I enjoy driving in Trainz.

What's needed is a fusion of the two titles - make TS20xx 64 bit with some of the TSW elements like timetable and service mode incorporated. That would be great for rapid transit style routes where you finish up one run and can jump to the next departure after finishing your run. Maybe that will come.
Vern
NorthernWarrior

PreviousNext

Return to TSW General Forum