TSW on XBox

TSW on XBox

Unread postby sumitsingh » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:25 pm

sumitsingh

Re: TSW on XBox

Unread postby hminky » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:39 pm

Called that one in another thread !*YAAA*!

TSW is a bad console port without a console, probably the intended future.

Plays like the console port driving games, Dirt series, Grid, etc., limited versatility, casual physics so the user won't cry the game is too hard, rewards and careers.

Why should DTG worry about editors?

Just dangle the carrot while people pay back the developmental investment. DTG is already hedging on the release.

Harold

Said the same thing when the game came out. Have played enough console ports.

Harold
hminky

Unread postby sumitsingh » Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:43 pm

!*salute*!
Last edited by sumitsingh on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sumitsingh

Unread postby Overshoe » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:43 pm

!*roll-laugh*! !*roll-laugh*! !*roll-laugh*! !*roll-laugh*! !*roll-laugh*! !*roll-laugh*! !*roll-laugh*! !*roll-laugh*! !*roll-laugh*! !*roll-laugh*!
-Tom Constantine

ASUS CM6850, Core i7-2600 @3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti /2GB, Win7 64bit up to date. Acer 23" monitor @ 1920x1080
Overshoe

Unread postby JohnS » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:07 pm

That explains why the routes are only 40 miles long. It looks that TSW has been developed from day one as a console game vs. a PC Train Simulator. Hopefully they don't kill off Train Simulator off in favor of TSW
John Stephens
Locomotive Engineer
Indiana Harbor Belt
JohnS

Unread postby AlcoFan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:13 pm

Sitting on your couch, running a train from an X-Box controller. Can it get any more realistic than that?
Josh C.
AlcoFan

Unread postby OldProf » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:55 am

AlcoFan wrote:Sitting on your couch, running a train from an X-Box controller. Can it get any more realistic than that?

Appunto!!!!
Tom Pallen (Old Prof)

{Win 10 Home 64-bit; Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz; 16.0GB Single-Channel @ 1063 MHz (15-15-15-364); 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960}
OldProf

Unread postby Griphos » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:22 am

Yeah, like sitting at your desk using a keyboard and mouse is realistic.

Some of you guys treat these different games and platforms like ideologies. They are just different, not avatars of good and evil.
Griphos

Unread postby artimrj » Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:30 am

Griphos wrote:Yeah, like sitting at your desk using a keyboard and mouse is realistic.

Some of you guys treat these different games and platforms like ideologies. They are just different, not avatars of good and evil.

I give you a +100 for that. A raildriver doesn't even make it more realistic.
Bob Artim - Generation X²
I don't have a PHD, I have a DD214... Freedom carries sacrifice

6th Gen i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz, 16 gig, NVidia GTX 970 4 Gig, 5 TB of Maxtor HDs, 128 Gig SSD, 800 W PSU & Win 10 64 bit
artimrj
Site Admin

Unread postby AlcoFan » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:28 am

Maybe I could have worded my initial post better, since a mouse and keyboard certainly isn't anywhere close to "realistic." However, I would think that game play options are a lot more limited when you are using a console and game controller. In that regard, I think it's fair to say that a higher level of realism can be achieved on a P.C, versus a console.
Josh C.
AlcoFan

Unread postby buzz456 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:31 am

A lot of us actually drive our sim locomotives from inside the cab. !!det!! What a thought! !*YAAA*! !*roll-laugh*! !*roll-laugh*!
Buzz
39 and holding.
"Some people find fault like there's a reward for it."- Zig Ziglar
"If you can dream it you can do it."- Walt Disney
buzz456
Site Admin

Unread postby Griphos » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:05 pm

Which you can do with a controller as well, since it’s a mouse emulator with more and different use buttons combined with a joystick.

Again, every platform and input device is just an interface for a 2-D pixel representation of a train on tracks. All of them make trade offs to help manipulate coded commands. They are different, that’s all.

I’m all for as faithful a simulation experience as anyone. But I don’t get the self-righteousness and dismissiveness toward other's preferred platforms or input devices.

I sold my rail driver long ago. Wasn’t worth the trouble and desk space and added nothing to realism in my experience. Sometimes I drive with keyboard and mouse, sometimes with a controller. I’m happy I have both, and like the vibration feedback of the controller (for added “realism”). *!!wink!!*

Mostly I drive in the cab, but sometimes I drive in third person, or use the railfan camera. None of those options is somehow superior to the others. Sitting on my couch sounds like a nice option as well.

The best of these sims are still video games. I’ve never driven a train. But I’ve been a pilot for almost 50 years and have owned and flown every flight and air combat sim ever made, and have tons of hardware for those sims that try to provide “realism.” And I can tell you for a fact that not a single one of them is “realistic” in any meaningful way. I’ve had a ton of fun in them. They aren’t much like really flying, even when the sight picture has gotten pretty darned close. I just let them be fun. That’s all I want from a train sim as well.

So, great, TSW on XBox. Good for XBox owners, and no skin off my nose.
Griphos

Unread postby NorthernWarrior » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:55 pm

One assumes they have done market research to show this is not going to be a flop! I guess titles like Elite Dangerous are enjoying some success on the consoles whereas most people would regard a space sim first and foremost as something you run on the PC.

Train "games" on the consoles are nothing new. I remember butchering our PS1 so I could play the imported Densha de Go and SL de Ikou titles from Japan. However they were popular in Japan because, at the time, Densha de Go etc. were actually in video arcades for real. Later on the titles became more simulation orientated with DDG Pro and DDG Final for the PS2 (or was it PS3). Then the bottom seemed to drop out of the market and Taito stopped making train games for the console market.

That said, the DDG games were not just one route but a collection of several offering lots of variety and choice. And as I posted earlier at TS, DTG's implementation of GWE is already outdated. Electrification now extends from Paddington all the way to Didcot and the local services are now almost entirely worked by Class 387 Electrostar EMU's. The Class 165/166 Turbo DMU's are largely confined to branch lines or the odd through working from Oxford. Many have already been cascaded west to the Bristol area to replace older stock on local services there. Within the next couple of years Crossrail begins operation and their Class 345 EMU's will take over many of the local workings to Maidenhead and Reading. The HST's (IC125) are being replaced by the new Class 800/802 IET Hitachi units and by the end of the year will be operating most long distance services.

Personally I would much rather DTG had taken the time to fix up all the issues with the existing PC versions - sound, physics etc. and give some news on the likelihood (or more likely-not-hood) of ever seeing a route or activity editor. If the revenue stream from the console goes towards serving that end all well and good but otherwise, purely IMHO, it is an unnecessary diversion away from satisfying their core business. And if I want something as close as it gets to driving a real train on the PC, then I'll be in Run 8 not TSW!
Vern
NorthernWarrior

Unread postby Chacal » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:20 pm

AlcoFan wrote:Sitting on your couch, running a train from an X-Box controller. Can it get any more realistic than that?

Haven't you heard about Canadian comfort cabs? They have a couch, Lazy Boy and keg.
Over the hill and gathering speed
Chacal

Unread postby buzz456 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:23 pm

Griphos wrote:Which you can do with a controller as well, since it’s a mouse emulator with more and different use buttons combined with a joystick.

Again, every platform and input device is just an interface for a 2-D pixel representation of a train on tracks. All of them make trade offs to help manipulate coded commands. They are different, that’s all.

I’m all for as faithful a simulation experience as anyone. But I don’t get the self-righteousness and dismissiveness toward other's preferred platforms or input devices.

I sold my rail driver long ago. Wasn’t worth the trouble and desk space and added nothing to realism in my experience. Sometimes I drive with keyboard and mouse, sometimes with a controller. I’m happy I have both, and like the vibration feedback of the controller (for added “realism”). *!!wink!!*

Mostly I drive in the cab, but sometimes I drive in third person, or use the railfan camera. None of those options is somehow superior to the others. Sitting on my couch sounds like a nice option as well.

The best of these sims are still video games. I’ve never driven a train. But I’ve been a pilot for almost 50 years and have owned and flown every flight and air combat sim ever made, and have tons of hardware for those sims that try to provide “realism.” And I can tell you for a fact that not a single one of them is “realistic” in any meaningful way. I’ve had a ton of fun in them. They aren’t much like really flying, even when the sight picture has gotten pretty darned close. I just let them be fun. That’s all I want from a train sim as well.

So, great, TSW on XBox. Good for XBox owners, and no skin off my nose.

I found the simulator (MSFS) to be very helpful in my instrument training as far as procedures, charts, approach plates and all that as well as flying online with vatsim even though I was often telling some of these guys what they should be saying. The experience was educational as well as being fun.
Buzz
39 and holding.
"Some people find fault like there's a reward for it."- Zig Ziglar
"If you can dream it you can do it."- Walt Disney
buzz456
Site Admin

Next

Return to TSW General Forum