TSW anyone?

Re: TSW anyone?

Unread postby JerryC » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:16 am

The hard hats are a bit much. I work for a company that loves to bubble-wrap everything to reduce the company liability, instead of preaching personal responsibility for safety. The company safety guy will tell you out of the other sided of his mouth that the plastic bubble on your head will most likely not stop you from being knocked out if someone drops a wrench from 20ft up, will most likely increase the likelyhood of you hitting your head because it makes you complacent, and in general is only a visual safety aid.

In all the years I have been a rail fan, I have NEVER seen a train crew wear a hard hat. Contractors by the way-side, yes. Signal maintainers, yes. Train crews, no. Lose the hard hats.
The comments and opinions expressed here are the sole responsibility of the individual who made them. Any resemblance to comments intelligent or ignernt is purely coincidental.
JerryC
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:13 am

Re: TSW anyone?

Unread postby SD40Australia » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:33 am

Mine sites are sticklers for safety rules etc. if the train is coal or going to or from a facility that requires a hard hat, then it is mandated. You do t have to wear it in the locomotive, but on a company site you will need it on. Also if you are caught not wearing it you may be asked not to return then your employer if having a bad day may not need you anymore. No job.
SD40Australia
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:08 am

Re: TSW anyone?

Unread postby buzz456 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:34 am

Anyone who can't tell a game from reality just needs the darwin award like Anthony says. That's why we have so many snowflakes bedeviling us nowadays. *!twisted!*
Buzz
39 and holding.
"Some people find fault like there's a reward for it."- Zig Ziglar
"If you can dream it you can do it."- Walt Disney
Image
User avatar
buzz456
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13956
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:30 am
Location: Sycamore, Il

Re: TSW anyone?

Unread postby SD40Australia » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:39 am

cbff33 wrote:
BNSFdude wrote:
AmericanSteam wrote:The models look great as well as the scenery, the sounds leave a lot to be desired, as do all the DTG sounds, ( where is MLWAudio when you need them) but these to will be reworked in time, if not by DTG then by you tinkering bunch of wahoos.

Hey man, I offered and they told me they had some "expert" contractor record for them instead.

He used wet paper sacks to record the sound and engineer it into the game apparently. Seriously...



I think Searchlight was initially going to do the sounds, but it sounds like DTG didn't want to spread the wealth, so they did sounds in house, and I hear they came up short again.



As a real Railroad Engineer, the sounds are much better than Railworks. I love the sounds and I am a fanatic for realism. For me I give DTG the big thumbs up for realism. Job well done! Dovetail have not come up short. They have my appreciation.

Everything else too, excellent.

No complaints here. As real as it gets.
SD40Australia
 
Posts: 403
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:08 am

Re: TSW anyone?

Unread postby NorthernWarrior » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:41 am

Didn't want to send the thread off at too much of a tangent, ultimately it's a question for DTG to address particularly when they start looking at routes etc. in more safety sensitive parts of the world.

One other thing from last night's quick session, thought the keyboard input was a bit erratic - varying from too sensitive (ended up in suppression/emergency trying to get full service) or nothing happened! Anyone else noticed this?

I'm assuming the braking system implementation will also at some point support lapped system as well as stepped braking and indeed vacuum not just air brakes...
Vern
User avatar
NorthernWarrior
 
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:47 am

Re: TSW anyone?

Unread postby buzz456 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:10 am

SD40Australia wrote:
cbff33 wrote:
BNSFdude wrote:
AmericanSteam wrote:The models look great as well as the scenery, the sounds leave a lot to be desired, as do all the DTG sounds, ( where is MLWAudio when you need them) but these to will be reworked in time, if not by DTG then by you tinkering bunch of wahoos.

Hey man, I offered and they told me they had some "expert" contractor record for them instead.

He used wet paper sacks to record the sound and engineer it into the game apparently. Seriously...



I think Searchlight was initially going to do the sounds, but it sounds like DTG didn't want to spread the wealth, so they did sounds in house, and I hear they came up short again.



As a real Railroad Engineer, the sounds are much better than Railworks. I love the sounds and I am a fanatic for realism. For me I give DTG the big thumbs up for realism. Job well done! Dovetail have not come up short. They have my appreciation.

Apparently you have never availed yourself of the many modifications that have been offered theough the years particularly the last couple or you wouldn't say that.

Everything else too, excellent.

No complaints here. As real as it gets.


Apparently you have not availed yourself of the many modofications available for TS2017 or you wouldn't say that.
Buzz
39 and holding.
"Some people find fault like there's a reward for it."- Zig Ziglar
"If you can dream it you can do it."- Walt Disney
Image
User avatar
buzz456
Site Admin
 
Posts: 13956
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:30 am
Location: Sycamore, Il

Re: TSW anyone?

Unread postby OldProf » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:27 am

gwgardner wrote:Funny thread. I have nothing but praise for it so far. I've done the first two tutorials. Great fun. Incredible graphics. Smooth operation. I couldn't be happier.

I7 with Nvidia 1060.


I'll second that! Since my computer falls below DTG's stated minimum specs for TSW, I expected poor performance, but that just isn't the case.
Tom Pallen (Old Prof)

{Win 10 Home 64-bit; Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz; 16.0GB Single-Channel @ 1063 MHz (15-15-15-364); 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960}
User avatar
OldProf
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:09 am

Re: TSW anyone?

Unread postby AlcoFan » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:50 am

SD40Australia wrote:
cbff33 wrote:
BNSFdude wrote:
AmericanSteam wrote:The models look great as well as the scenery, the sounds leave a lot to be desired, as do all the DTG sounds, ( where is MLWAudio when you need them) but these to will be reworked in time, if not by DTG then by you tinkering bunch of wahoos.

Hey man, I offered and they told me they had some "expert" contractor record for them instead.

He used wet paper sacks to record the sound and engineer it into the game apparently. Seriously...



I think Searchlight was initially going to do the sounds, but it sounds like DTG didn't want to spread the wealth, so they did sounds in house, and I hear they came up short again.



As a real Railroad Engineer, the sounds are much better than Railworks. I love the sounds and I am a fanatic for realism. For me I give DTG the big thumbs up for realism. Job well done! Dovetail have not come up short. They have my appreciation.

Everything else too, excellent.

No complaints here. As real as it gets.

Not trying to be negative, but the sounds are not very good at all, especially the AC4400CW sounds. It doesn't sound remotely close to a GE and the Kuju Gevo sounds would probably be an improvement. The SD40-2 sounds like a 710 not a 645. This game has a lot of interesting aspects but there is a lot of room for improvement in the sound department. Hopefully soundpacks will come out once the game is open for development.
Josh C.
User avatar
AlcoFan
 
Posts: 168
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:57 am

Re: TSW anyone?

Unread postby JerryC » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:14 am

OldProf wrote:
gwgardner wrote:Funny thread. I have nothing but praise for it so far. I've done the first two tutorials. Great fun. Incredible graphics. Smooth operation. I couldn't be happier.

I7 with Nvidia 1060.


I'll second that! Since my computer falls below DTG's stated minimum specs for TSW, I expected poor performance, but that just isn't the case.


Im running an I7 with an Nvidia 970 and the results are acceptable, performancewise. I just tried it on my Toshiba Satellite and it looks like a fast frame photo shoot. To be fair though, it didn't run the TSX version of TrainSimulator all that well either.
The comments and opinions expressed here are the sole responsibility of the individual who made them. Any resemblance to comments intelligent or ignernt is purely coincidental.
JerryC
 
Posts: 569
Joined: Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:13 am

Re: TSW anyone?

Unread postby plethaus » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:22 pm

You guys might be running in "light" areas that are easier on framerates... when you are somewhere with 4+ locomotives and a bunch of cars, it gets REALLY bad... I have a 3570k @ 4.6ghz, 980 Ti, SSDs and 16gb DDR3 2400mhz RAM and I'm at 15fps at times in these situations. I'm not even running Ultra either, just High.

Other annoyances: Service mode needs a LOT of improvements for actual gameplay and general usability. The map doesn't show ANY information whatsoever other than your train and the next objective (you can see other trains but you have to just scan around the map, zoomed way in, to see them.) If you spawn on foot somewhere along the route there's no way to warp to other locations to actually drive a train or watch them. You have to go back to the main menu.

Lots of bugs as well.. the AC4400 is just glitchy as hell... last night I got up to walk around with the train already moving and when I walked along the walkway I could not get back inside the cab (the little steps a few feet from the door were blocking my movement). Sometimes when I'm in the cab (of any locomotive) the entire world disappears for a couple of frames (possibly these "lightning flashes" other are referring to.)

All of that being said though, there is some cool stuff here though. The graphics are amazing (most of the time) and I love the interactivity of everything. It's not FAR from being really, really good with some common sense improvements and better framerates, but right now I definitely would not recommend it to anyone at $40.
Last edited by plethaus on Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
plethaus
 
Posts: 263
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:17 am

Re: TSW anyone?

Unread postby Ericmopar » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:25 pm

AmericanSteam wrote:Maxed out as well:
http://s16.postimg.org/t2x2opmh1/screenshot_130.png


Okay I'm stumped.
According to people with similar specs to ours, they are only getting very low fps and single core usage. I've seen videos of this myself, so what is the difference people are experiencing between systems???
Someone else with a new Kaby Lake system is experiencing terrible results in another forum. (I've been hopping all over, so please don't ask me for the link...)

BTW AmericanSteam I'm getting the same temps when gaming with a Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 with my 7700K.
New build. i7-7700k, MSI Z270 Gaming M5 Mobo, Hyper 212 Evo, Corsair DDR4 3200 Mhz RAM, Klipsch Pro Mediea 2.1 Speakers, Samsung 850 Evo SSD, HAF XM Case, Asus Strix GTX 1070 and Cooler Master Storm XT Keyboard.
Slick with Pretty Rainbow Colors.
User avatar
Ericmopar
 
Posts: 2927
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:35 am
Location: Henderson NV.

Re: TSW anyone?

Unread postby _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:30 pm

Ericmopar wrote:Okay I'm stumped.
According to people with similar specs to ours, they are only getting very low fps and single core usage. I've seen videos of this myself, so what is the difference people are experiencing between systems???
Someone else with a new Kaby Lake system is experiencing terrible results in another forum. (I've been hopping all over, so please don't ask me for the link...)

BTW AmericanSteam I'm getting the same temps when gaming with a Cooler Master Hyper Evo 212 with my 7700K.


It doesn't make sense at all. It seems like the performance scales inverse with the CPU and GPU power.
Unfortunately the manual doesn't go into the graphics settings, so where is one to find information and help?

For reference sake, is there a comparable UE4 game of the same world size and complexity? How does that game perform on your rigs?

Is all rolling stock in a train an 'instance' or completely independent?
Edwin "Kanawha"
Image
The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)
User avatar
_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha
 
Posts: 2505
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: TSW anyone?

Unread postby OldProf » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:15 pm

NorthernWarrior wrote:Didn't want to send the thread off at too much of a tangent, ultimately it's a question for DTG to address particularly when they start looking at routes etc. in more safety sensitive parts of the world.

One other thing from last night's quick session, thought the keyboard input was a bit erratic - varying from too sensitive (ended up in suppression/emergency trying to get full service) or nothing happened! Anyone else noticed this?

I'm assuming the braking system implementation will also at some point support lapped system as well as stepped braking and indeed vacuum not just air brakes...


I'm experiencing some of what you've described. When I have the fps indicator turned on (F3), I can see that keyboard function (how fast an action occurs in response to a key press) varies proportionally with fps.

Have you tried the tutorial about braking?
Tom Pallen (Old Prof)

{Win 10 Home 64-bit; Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz; 16.0GB Single-Channel @ 1063 MHz (15-15-15-364); 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960}
User avatar
OldProf
 
Posts: 2665
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:09 am

Re: TSW anyone?

Unread postby _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha » Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:22 pm

OldProf wrote:
NorthernWarrior wrote:Didn't want to send the thread off at too much of a tangent, ultimately it's a question for DTG to address particularly when they start looking at routes etc. in more safety sensitive parts of the world.

One other thing from last night's quick session, thought the keyboard input was a bit erratic - varying from too sensitive (ended up in suppression/emergency trying to get full service) or nothing happened! Anyone else noticed this?

I'm assuming the braking system implementation will also at some point support lapped system as well as stepped braking and indeed vacuum not just air brakes...


I'm experiencing some of what you've described. When I have the fps indicator turned on (F3), I can see that keyboard function (how fast an action occurs in response to a key press) varies proportionally with fps.

Have you tried the tutorial about braking?


That is serious flaw, for it means the keyboard doesn't get enough priority in the chain of events. Much optimisation is needed, or scaling the workload over more cores when available.

Have you tried a gamepad as your controller?
Edwin "Kanawha"
Image
The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)
User avatar
_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha
 
Posts: 2505
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:12 pm

Re: TSW anyone?

Unread postby g_nash » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:02 pm

BNSFdude wrote:
Derek wrote:Morning all,

Just wanted to reply to you Vern regarding the wondering around live railway.
I am right there with you and many many conversations have been had regarding the way forward for more active lines with much strict rules and regulations and integrate it into gameplay while providing freedom.

All other issues/feedback please keep it coming via the official channels.

cheers
d


As a gamer,
Please dont.

Hand holding is one of the most irritating things in modern game design, and the mandatory non-skippable tutorial right on opening of the game is a fine example of that. If I want to jump right into a locomotive and start pulling in the "Services" mode or do a scenario, I should have had the option to do so.

As a rail,

I guess I'm a bit ambivalent. You can preach safety as much as you want in game, including making TEY Employees wear hard hats even though there isn't a railroad I can think of that makes us wear them ever. But if someone had the idea to wander through a railroad yard because they saw it in a video game, I'm afraid Darwinism had its hold on them long before they picked this up. Keep your disclaimers to keep the company non-liable, but don't force things on your player base that are bound to irritate them just because of a non-likely possibility.


A voice of sanity !

I can't give this post enough of these > !!*ok*!! !!*ok*!! !!*ok*!!
g_nash
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:43 am

PreviousNext

Return to TSW General Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron