Coming soon to TSW: The Long Island Railroad

Re: Coming soon to TSW: The Long Island Railroad

Unread postby Griphos » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:51 pm

I'm so tired of this trope that TSW appeals to "console" players as if the kind of system with which you run a train simulator makes any difference. It's an assumption that consoles and console players as somehow less "serious" and inferior and DTG is doing PC players a disservice by catering to them. First, this new route is being made for PC only first. Second, a console is a kind of computer. It has a CPU and GPU. And, TS has always been made for use with controllers. Its controller interface is a primary feature of the program, whether for PC or console. This is just snobbery, plain and simple. And unfounded snobbery at that (as snobbery usually is). The idea that a hand held controller doesn't allow for "intricate train handling" is laughable. As if a keyboard is somehow a more realistic and precise control instrument, or that mousing virtual levers is somehow precise and "intricate."

And ALL train simulators are little more than train cab control desk simulations.

This route seems interesting to me. I don't have a console, but hopefully, that won't prevent me from enjoying it. [/sarcasm]
User avatar
Griphos
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Re: Coming soon to TSW: The Long Island Railroad

Unread postby AmericanSteam » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:31 pm

I like a bit of meat with my potatoes. I like switching and building trains then dropping and picking of those cars. After the first passenger run in TSW they all seem the same after that. Run to the next station, open and close the doors then on to the next station.TS2019 just has more diversity, and an editor. (I know, I know, one is coming soon, film at 11.) **!!2cents!!**
Intel i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming MB, 16 GB DDR4 @ 3200, ASUS GTX 1060 6GB, Corsair CX850M PSU, XSPC D5 Vario cooling pump, running TSW and Railworks on a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD, Dual Monitors 1920 x 1080.
User avatar
AmericanSteam
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:54 am
Location: Grass Valley, California

Re: Coming soon to TSW: The Long Island Railroad

Unread postby ex-railwayman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:47 am

Griphos wrote:I'm so tired of this trope that TSW appeals to "console" players as if the kind of system with which you run a train simulator makes any difference. It's an assumption that consoles and console players as somehow less "serious" and inferior and DTG is doing PC players a disservice by catering to them. First, this new route is being made for PC only first. Second, a console is a kind of computer. It has a CPU and GPU. And, TS has always been made for use with controllers. Its controller interface is a primary feature of the program, whether for PC or console. This is just snobbery, plain and simple. And unfounded snobbery at that (as snobbery usually is). The idea that a hand held controller doesn't allow for "intricate train handling" is laughable. As if a keyboard is somehow a more realistic and precise control instrument, or that mousing virtual levers is somehow precise and "intricate."

So, please explain to us why DTG stated that the CSX Sandpatch route won't be ported across for console players, then, that is hardly ''unfounded snobbery'', it''s an absolute fact?

Cheerz. Steve.
i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.
ex-railwayman
 
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:17 pm
Location: Nottingham, England

Re: Coming soon to TSW: The Long Island Railroad

Unread postby _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:26 am

TSW is the first train driving game on the consoles. If there indeed is a niche market for train driving games, well executed routes, trains and challenges can be a commercial hit and start a new genre of games.
Consoles are known for their FPS, RPG and “racing and chasing” games, not for leisurely train driving.
If trespassing onto a live railroad to gather collectibles is your kind of thing, you are well served with TSW.

DTG could very well have a hit in the making, and since the console market is relatively easy to service due to the uniform hardware, it is cost effective too compared to the PC gaming market, where each computer is unique and support a nightmare.

PC gamers, especially those that come from Railworks and know about the strengths and weaknesses of DTG and some of its 3rd parties are more sceptical and critical. Especially now TS19 has been given a new life on 64 bits, TSW has to offer substantially more than pretty graphics. For those who want realistic operations, there is always Run8.

Again, a new TSW route is being offered at a discount, as if the product isn’t worth full price. 1 train, 26 station stops, you decide for yourself if that's worth full price to you?

I’ll wait for the Editor and what kind of new life that will bring, and of course for the bugs and omissions in my game and DLC to be fixed before spending money on TSW again.

There is no info on any improvement to the TSW “world”, moving cars, people walking about, animated animals, machinery and all the rest needed to bring this “world” to life? Will ‘The City that Never Sleeps’ be in complete hibernation again?
Edwin "Kanawha"
Image
The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)
User avatar
_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha
 
Posts: 2762
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:12 pm

Re: Coming soon to TSW: The Long Island Railroad

Unread postby Griphos » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:23 am

@Steve: you don’t seem to have understood what I wrote at all. The snobbery I was referring to was Edwin's. Which he repeated again in the post following yours, where he displays his lack of any real understanding of the mechanics of or relationship between consoles and computers (which a console is, again). He has an unfounded prejudice about consoles, due largely, I suspect, to ignorance about and lack of experience with them. There are no console genres and pc genres that are separate from each other. Most pc players and games are FPS, RPG, and “racing and chasing” games. There are no “console player” types and “pc player” types with the kind of homogeneous and universal attitudes and understandings he keeps adducing and berating. He has built a straw opponent and keeps beating him to death in some strange display of false superiority.

His platform snobbery is unfounded and uninformed...and wearisome. As is all prejudice.
User avatar
Griphos
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Re: Coming soon to TSW: The Long Island Railroad

Unread postby _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:35 am

LOL, I have a PS4Pro console, and play those games on it that suit it best.

TSW on the consoles is lacking one of the most important elements of console game play: multiplayer. 4K textures and HDR rendering are nice, esp when playing on our large OLED tv.

It seems to me DTG is still in ‘learning to utilize UE4’ mode, so perhaps something recently learned will make it’s debut on the LIRR route, before it is ported down to the consoles. Which could mean the PC version suffers from the largest common denominator to spare on development time and file size?

Indeed, consoles are computers, but they rank amongst the low powered gaming PC’s. Only the best and most experienced game studios squeeze every available byte, cycle and pixel from the consoles. Is DTG amongst this group?
On the powerful gaming PC’s they are not, and reducing mileage, scenery density, numbers of rolling stock might indicate UE4 isn’t best suited after all. With 4 years of learning it is time for some results and commercial success, allowing a substantial increase in DTG’s resources committed to TSW.

Time will tell how and into what direction TSW will evolve and whether DTG is really capable to bring the promised ‘ultimate in train simulation’ to our rigs.
Edwin "Kanawha"
Image
The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)
User avatar
_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha
 
Posts: 2762
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:12 pm

Re: Coming soon to TSW: The Long Island Railroad

Unread postby glenn68 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:04 pm

My son bought it for his X Box 1 and played it for about 30 minutes and hasen't played it since. I have the CSX heavy haul and I put in about a hour or so and havent played it since. Until DTG get their act together on TSW I will not invest one more penny into the sim. Actually I consider it a total waste of money. TSW has been out for some time now and still no editor. There was a promise of a editor and still nothing.
User avatar
glenn68
 
Posts: 944
Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:21 pm

Re: Coming soon to TSW: The Long Island Railroad

Unread postby Lightcactus » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:40 pm

glenn68 wrote:My son bought it for his X Box 1 and played it for about 30 minutes and hasen't played it since. I have the CSX heavy haul and I put in about a hour or so and havent played it since. Until DTG get their act together on TSW I will not invest one more penny into the sim. Actually I consider it a total waste of money. TSW has been out for some time now and still no editor. There was a promise of a editor and still nothing.


Sorry you feel that way, personally I'm playing TSW more than TS19 these days, it has so much potential.

I'm looking forwards to Thursday's release of the LIRR, despite not being American or having any knowledge of the LIRR.
I do like a good commuter railway, especially one with variety such as different branches etc.
Lightcactus
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:14 pm

Re: Coming soon to TSW: The Long Island Railroad

Unread postby AmericanSteam » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:49 pm

Lightcactus wrote:
glenn68 wrote:My son bought it for his X Box 1 and played it for about 30 minutes and hasen't played it since. I have the CSX heavy haul and I put in about a hour or so and havent played it since. Until DTG get their act together on TSW I will not invest one more penny into the sim. Actually I consider it a total waste of money. TSW has been out for some time now and still no editor. There was a promise of a editor and still nothing.


Sorry you feel that way, personally I'm playing TSW more than TS19 these days, it has so much potential.

I'm looking forwards to Thursday's release of the LIRR, despite not being American or having any knowledge of the LIRR.
I do like a good commuter railway, especially one with variety such as different branches etc.

Potential does not make for a good game. In my opinion DTG hasn't adequately patched/fixed previous releases and they lack desire to do so. The routes are too short, the majority are passenger (not a fan). Little third party, only a few reskins are available and no editor. The editor is slow to release because DTG wants to control all content as long as they can. At first release the detail quality was superb but some systems had problems with playability. DTG then "dumbed down" the detail quality to make more playable on a greater number of systems. Vehicles and clutter are sparse this takes away from the realistic view of a setting. I think that even without the more 3D effects of TSW TS2019 has a more realistic feel and with the release of the 64 bit version more densely packed scenes can add to the realism. I to will wait for 3rd party content before I take another look at TSW.
Intel i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming MB, 16 GB DDR4 @ 3200, ASUS GTX 1060 6GB, Corsair CX850M PSU, XSPC D5 Vario cooling pump, running TSW and Railworks on a Samsung 960 EVO M.2 SSD, Dual Monitors 1920 x 1080.
User avatar
AmericanSteam
 
Posts: 515
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:54 am
Location: Grass Valley, California

Previous

Return to TSW General Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest