Future Bright for TSW say DTG. Post from Steam.

Re: Future Bright for TSW say DTG. Post from Steam.

Unread postby JOHNtheREDNECK » Sun May 14, 2017 8:43 am

IN MY OPINION

TSW is one of those things that became too big to fail so I don't think they have much of a choice at this point but to continue working on it. They spent a lot of time making the graphics second to none and now that they got the eye candy out of the way and invested so much time into it now they need to refine it and make it more of a flexible gaming platform finding ways to make it as "easy" as possible for content creators to work their magic and start widening the community of this game. I had the game for a few days but refunded it due to performance issues like I have never seen before but I won't go into specifics as there are enough rants about that already.
A random Italian from New York.
ASUS g750 gaming laptop; Intel i7-4700HQ @ 2.4GHz 4 core, 500GB SSD, 1TB mechanical drive, 8GB DDR3, Nvidia 765m GPU
JOHNtheREDNECK

Unread postby martin06 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:42 am

JOHNtheREDNECK wrote:IN MY OPINION

TSW is one of those things that became too big to fail so I don't think they have much of a choice at this point but to continue working on it. They spent a lot of time making the graphics second to none and now that they got the eye candy out of the way and invested so much time into it now they need to refine it and make it more of a flexible gaming platform finding ways to make it as "easy" as possible for content creators to work their magic and start widening the community of this game. I had the game for a few days but refunded it due to performance issues like I have never seen before but I won't go into specifics as there are enough rants about that already.

!*brav*!
Completely agree. TSW Was a hurried launch, perhaps to respect deadline with investors, we will not know. I happened just like many, after an hour of TSW game bored.
At the time we are, it is not conceivable to give the public a game and charge for it, in the current state of development.
Beta / Update / Test / Fix !*not-ok*!
I would have liked them to take a more serious approach to the simulator that would become the definitive one. And not a rabble that up to Run 8 studios made fun.
martin06

Unread postby JOHNtheREDNECK » Sat May 27, 2017 7:50 am

martin06 wrote:
JOHNtheREDNECK wrote:IN MY OPINION

!*brav*!
Completely agree. TSW Was a hurried launch, perhaps to respect deadline with investors, we will not know. I happened just like many, after an hour of TSW game bored.
At the time we are, it is not conceivable to give the public a game and charge for it, in the current state of development.
Beta / Update / Test / Fix !*not-ok*!
I would have liked them to take a more serious approach to the simulator that would become the definitive one. And not a rabble that up to Run 8 studios made fun.

Sometimes it's better to hold something back knowing it could be released in a lot better shape. TSW was a completely new animal and the whole team needed time to get used to it just like how you can see an evolution in addons for the current series from the old gp9 and dash 9 packs to the new packs like the turbine and u-boats. They are still under some sort of constraint at the end of the day like you said but in a lot of cases, quality is better than quantity.
A random Italian from New York.
ASUS g750 gaming laptop; Intel i7-4700HQ @ 2.4GHz 4 core, 500GB SSD, 1TB mechanical drive, 8GB DDR3, Nvidia 765m GPU
JOHNtheREDNECK

Unread postby SD40Australia » Sat May 27, 2017 8:14 am

Derek wrote:Some one can ask me....
:)

UK route... I'd put my house on it.

There is a clue on someone's screen in the first video released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J4U-yv9fgM

German route... we've done the research trips.

More US routes.... I'd remortgage my house and put it on it.

:)

Biggest market... depends on the time of year, but it is very close between the 3, we all love trains.

Derek,

What about several Japanese routes? I have already suggested the Odakyu Line to Hakone (as in original KUJU MSTS), this will be awesome because there are now 4 tracks between Machida and Shinjuku. And having a single line from Odawara up to Hakone only about 6km with Mt Fuji in the background https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn2756ieVSw (honestly you can't see it from Hakone-railway station anyway-but half way between Shinjuku and Hakone you can) in TSW would be magical. It will enable you to capture many in the Japanese market (Japan's economy is doing great right now compared to everywhere else) through people building other lines, because it is almost entirely 3'6" gauge (1067mm) as there would be a host of buildings done for the line.

And what about the Throttle-Ammeter issue in TSW currently? You did comment in another thread, and after testing the AC4400 yesterday I quickly turned it off (the throttle-power issue still not sorted-can you do a quick fix please?). It looks so good and you have got almost everything right! After looking at Trainz today I think you are spot on target, TSW will do EXTREMELY WELL! I'd just like to have the realistic operation of a locomotive sorted. From 27 to 30MPH in Notch 4 the AC4400 went from about 250Amps down to 97AMPS or less. This is not how it happens. It does reduce but it would probably get to 120Amps at 55MPH and not 29MPH!!! In Notch 4. I know in Notch 8 it will give you about 800 Amps at 30-35MPH (contact CSX if you haven't got some information already on how the Amps changes between 0-75MPH) and about 400AMPs at 55MPH. At 5Mph in Notch 8 you will probably get 1200-1600Amps. In the AC44. But in the SD40 it will be similar but a bit less.

I hope to see an Australian route too (one I suggested is South Australia between Port Augusta and Peterborough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiR5nube33E(junction of Crystal Brook in the middle)) and possibly a branch line to Adelaide. You could have the Indian Pacific, Ghan and freight trains. This is a very unique track and you would capture Australia perfectly without having to go to extreme lengths to model Australian buildings. AT least you could put a few Kangaroos and Emus in it! Not only are these two creatures on our coat of arms, but they are very common downunder! Trains actually often hit skippies (Kangaroos) at night. Cars too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMB93SV4BNs

One thing you could do is to add several vehicles that can be driven on the roads to the sim. You can walk around now but what about crew changes and in the depot where cars are well used? It would be nice to drive a car along the railway line and 'spot' your train. It is something different and adds an operational feel for the sim. Congratulations TSW is amazing and I am sure will get better performance from it (I am happy anyway) as time goes on and as new video cards are released.

Now I know this isn't playing (you can for real)the chicken in ARMA2 but in TSW you walk up to a skippy, or a sheep or emu and have it run off or in the case of a 'boxing' kangaroo get a bad bruise. What you guys have done is great and excited to see the future. I hope you can put that Japanese and Australian content in the game. By the way the Australian main line is standard gauge same as Britain and USA but old parts of SA, WA and QLD have 3'6" gauge, but I think this won't need to be modeled in TSW with the line I have suggested.

Daniel
SD40Australia

Unread postby Derek » Mon May 29, 2017 4:21 am

lots to answer here, will get back to you when I am back in the office for an update.

cheers
d
Derek

Unread postby Chacal » Mon May 29, 2017 10:59 am

They're going to update Derek!

Welcome to Derek 1.1.

*!greengrin!*
Over the hill and gathering speed
Chacal

Unread postby Derek » Mon May 29, 2017 2:39 pm

My body could do with an update!

http://dereksiddle.blogspot.co.uk/2017/ ... arsal.html

ouch!
Derek

Unread postby SD40Australia » Mon May 29, 2017 11:47 pm

Derek wrote:My body could do with an update!

ouch!

Is it just healing naturally? Or you had to put a splint or something on it?

Daniel
SD40Australia

Unread postby NYWhiskey » Tue May 30, 2017 5:45 pm

Derek wrote:My body could do with an update!

ouch!

I know you have to keep the employees moving but you have to stop putting your foot up their....... !*don-know!*
NYWhiskey

Unread postby Derek » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:46 am

Hi, sorry for the delay,

Ok,. so here are my thoughts (my thoughts may not reflect those of DTG)

Q - What about several Japanese routes? I have already suggested the Odakyu Line to Hakone (as in original KUJU MSTS), this will be awesome because there are now 4 tracks between Machida and Shinjuku. And having a single line from Odawara up to Hakone only about 6km with Mt Fuji in the background https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn2756ieVSw (honestly you can't see it from Hakone-railway station anyway-but half way between Shinjuku and Hakone you can) in TSW would be magical. It will enable you to capture many in the Japanese market (Japan's economy is doing great right now compared to everywhere else) through people building other lines, because it is almost entirely 3'6" gauge (1067mm) as there would be a host of buildings done for the line.

A - There are many hurdles and challenges to consider when investing into new content and in new locations

1 - Working with dedicated people with local knowledge which is key to giving an authentic experience.
2 - Licensing and working with TOC to get their support and access.
3 - Users and game play experience.
4 - Understanding the business model, research/access and effort over returns etc.
5 - How many TS users in that location do we currently have, can we build?
5 - Sustaining content to keep up interest and build a large community.
6 - Language/communication. - important to have an open dialog as we expand.

So while we are interested we need to make sure the infrastructure at DTG is in place to sustain the above. I personally want to make a routes in every country. I want the adventure and variety and as an artist the challenge of representing those areas and rolling stock, but it is not easy.

Q - And what about the Throttle-Ammeter issue in TSW currently? You did comment in another thread, and after testing the AC4400 yesterday I quickly turned it off (the throttle-power issue still not sorted-can you do a quick fix please?). It looks so good and you have got almost everything right! After looking at Trainz today I think you are spot on target, TSW will do EXTREMELY WELL! I'd just like to have the realistic operation of a locomotive sorted. From 27 to 30MPH in Notch 4 the AC4400 went from about 250Amps down to 97AMPS or less. This is not how it happens. It does reduce but it would probably get to 120Amps at 55MPH and not 29MPH!!! In Notch 4. I know in Notch 8 it will give you about 800 Amps at 30-35MPH (contact CSX if you haven't got some information already on how the Amps changes between 0-75MPH) and about 400AMPs at 55MPH. At 5Mph in Notch 8 you will probably get 1200-1600Amps. In the AC44. But in the SD40 it will be similar but a bit less.

A - I am unsure if the fix for these issues are in the content set up or in the core sim code. code updates will be worked on over the summer in time for our next content release. All feedback and comments to DTG please. These certainly help push through the updates.

Q - I hope to see an Australian route too (one I suggested is South Australia between Port Augusta and Peterborough https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiR5nube33E(junction of Crystal Brook in the middle)) and possibly a branch line to Adelaide. You could have the Indian Pacific, Ghan and freight trains. This is a very unique track and you would capture Australia perfectly without having to go to extreme lengths to model Australian buildings. AT least you could put a few Kangaroos and Emus in it! Not only are these two creatures on our coat of arms, but they are very common downunder! Trains actually often hit skippies (Kangaroos) at night. Cars too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMB93SV4BNs

A - See Answer number 1

Q - One thing you could do is to add several vehicles that can be driven on the roads to the sim. You can walk around now but what about crew changes and in the depot where cars are well used? It would be nice to drive a car along the railway line and 'spot' your train. It is something different and adds an operational feel for the sim. Congratulations TSW is amazing and I am sure will get better performance from it (I am happy anyway) as time goes on and as new video cards are released.

A - Nice idea and one that may get done in the future, but as soon as you put in another type of vehicle the sim changes into something else. However rule nothing out and keep an open mind is how I approach suggestions.

Q - Now I know this isn't playing (you can for real)the chicken in ARMA2 but in TSW you walk up to a skippy, or a sheep or emu and have it run off or in the case of a 'boxing' kangaroo get a bad bruise. What you guys have done is great and excited to see the future. I hope you can put that Japanese and Australian content in the game. By the way the Australian main line is standard gauge same as Britain and USA but old parts of SA, WA and QLD have 3'6" gauge, but I think this won't need to be modeled in TSW with the line I have suggested.

A - DTG and the teams involved always do their due diligence and contact as many people as they can to help them answer the questions needed to be confident about producing a credible and authentic experience. We are not perfect and we do make mistakes from time to time , but what we get right far outweighs those times we got it wrong.
I thank you for your kind words and hope that over the coming months and years you enjoy where we take TSW. HOwever in the meantime TS20XX is there for and supported by DTG for a few years yet. Many of us still play/enjoy and create for it and will do for a long time to come.
The key is to enjoy our hobby in whatever form/software you choose.

cheers
d
Derek

Unread postby BNSF650 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:17 am

@ Derek

I was driving the CSX GP38 Last night i noticed that the horn on this unit is not accurate and needs to be fixed.

Video to the correct horn on a CSX GP38.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT-qE9d0Vzw

Also noticed on the CSX AC4400CW That the cab radio does not work or even light up for that matter. Could this be fixed?

Another issue is the crossings stayed down after a train passes and they dont go back up. Is this something you all are working on fixing also?
Like us on Facebook BN Productions and on youtube to see train simulator videos.
https://www.facebook.com/BNProuctions/ https://www.youtube.com/c/BNSF650
BNSF650

Unread postby SD40Australia » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:46 pm

Derek wrote:Hi, sorry for the delay,

d

Thanks Derek.

I agree, that you will need to do those things.

Has route development started yet for the 2nd and 3rd routes by DTG?

I guess that even though a lot of people are asking for Japanese and Australian routes, you have to weigh up whether the overseas market, the bulk of your customer base, will get on board.

I know the Japanese Odakyu will be incredibly successful.

Not sure about the Australian one. But I do 'like' single line running.

And the Port Augusta to Peterborough route would be great since it doesn't require so many buildings, unless you go down to Adelaide.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiR5nube33E&t=119s

Australia uses UK standards (except miles per hour) for railways as that is our 'motherland', but we have mostly American equipment. Some new stuff from China is coming and has arrived too.

So instead of the 90 PSI pressure for air brakes we use the English (I think English is 500Kpa which is 70PSI) rail standard.

And our locomotives are around 130 tonne, unlike the US 195 tonnes for their new ones like Dash 9s, SD60/SD70s etc.....https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Rail_NR_class

Daniel
SD40Australia

Unread postby BNSFdude » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:20 pm

Not sure on the difference on tonnes and US Ton, but our engines are usually 210 US Tons. Some being 232 Tons.
Anthony Wood
Artist/Audio Engineer - Oovee™ Game Studios
BNSFdude

Unread postby SD40Australia » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:24 pm

BNSFdude wrote:Not sure on the difference on tonnes and US Ton, but our engines are usually 210 US Tons. Some being 232 Tons.

That would be short tons Anthony.

Kilograms of 190,000 equals 418,878lbs which is (almost) the weight of an ES44AC and other modern diesel.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GE_Evolution_Series

Daniel
SD40Australia

Previous

Return to TSW General Forum