DTM Baldwin RF-16 Sharknose

This forum is for anyone to write a review on a piece of DLC they purchased.

DTM Baldwin RF-16 Sharknose

Unread postby TheOldDessauer » Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:54 am

This release from Digital Train Model represents something that is sorely needed for Train Simulator; more North American first-generation diesels.

This is a good product. Textures look realistic. The sounds are very immersive. The rumble of the diesels really give you a feeling of power. This model has lots of nice touches like opening windows, lighted engine compartments, working headlights, working class lights, illuminated number boards, and a cab heater (you can see it glowing next to the cab wall).

The engine comes with Steam to Diesel transition-era (1940-1960) rolling stock as well, which is badly needed for Train Simulator. There are two boxcars ( 40 and 50 foot), a bulkhead flatcar with load, a tank car (which we sorely needed for this time period), as well as a caboose. All of the rolling stock looks lovely and helps to build up our North American late steam era rolling stock collection. The DLC comes with three career scenarios and is quick drive compatible. Additionally, there are scenarios available for it in Steam Workshop.

I have two gripes, both of which are minor. The first is that cab units such as the Sharknose (as well as EMD E and F units and Alco PA and FA units), were joined together at the back by flexible vestibules or diaphragms which allowed crew members to pass safely from one unit to the next while the locomotives were moving. In these models the vestibules do not touch or connect. Also, the air hoses for the breaking system between the cars are completely missing. This is not a new issue on DTG rolling stock DLC, but really, it has been a few years now and this problem should have been alleviated. These are admittedly minor quibbles and do not significantly detract from what is an otherwise good DLC value.

Overall, the Sharknose DLC is an good quality product and a great addition to our first generation North American diesel roster.

Pros:
Good detail
Good sound effects
Classic and rare 1st generation North American diesel
Extensive assortment of Steam to Diesel transition-era rolling stock included

Cons:
Locomotive diaphragms do not connect
Lack of trainline air-hoses for the braking system between cars
Lack of advanced braking features

If you are a fan of first generation American diesels in general (as I am), and the Pennsylvania RR in particular (ditto), then you need this. I give it a 4/5. If the issues with the diaphragms and air hoses are patched, I would give it a 5/5.
Last edited by TheOldDessauer on Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:07 pm, edited 6 times in total.
TheOldDessauer

Re: DTM Baldwin RF-16 Sharknose

Unread postby JohnS » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:38 am

Great review. Thank you for the input. !!*ok*!!
John Stephens
Locomotive Engineer
Indiana Harbor Belt
JohnS

Unread postby imnew » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:16 am

Nice review. Thanks
Intel Core I7-7770K, ZOTAC GTX 1080 Ti AMP
Extreme, ASUS ROG Strix Z270H, 16 GB HyperX Fury DDR4, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair Force MP500 240GB M.2, 34" Ultra Wide Samsung Monitor, Oculus Rift DK2, HTC Vive and Oculus Rift CV1, Pimax 8K ETA Q3 2018.
imnew

Unread postby OldProf » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:33 am

Thanks for taking the time to write a very informative review. The connecting hoses you mentioned can be found on Virtual Rail Creation's CXS GP40-2 and Road Slug Set, so it's certainly possible to add them to models. As to interconnecting diaphragms that expand and contract, I've often wondered whether they could be modeled for passenger cars.

I've been thinking of adding the Sharknose to my installation, but thought of it as a passenger engine, so I'm particularly glad to learn from your review that it was also a freight engine.

Nice work!
Tom Pallen (Old Prof)

{Win 10 Home 64-bit; Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz; 16.0GB Single-Channel @ 1063 MHz (15-15-15-364); 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960}
OldProf

Unread postby TheOldDessauer » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:40 am

The Sharknose DLC is the four-axle freight model. The Pennsy were the only road to also have the six axle passenger model; perhaps we will see them in the future?

Passenger_Shark.jpg
Passenger_Shark.jpg (310.71 KiB) Viewed 3595 times
TheOldDessauer

Unread postby Coaltrain1 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:55 pm

Awesome review, Thank You.. Cool pic one of my all time favorite loco's. The Sharks just what I needed to get my self motivated.
There's Always Plenty To Do, When your on the V.2

V.R.E.A. Founder
The Lake Superior & Western RR.V.2
http://railroadersonline.freeforums.net/
Coaltrain1

Unread postby tbundy1982 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:25 pm

Can I throw my 2 cents in too? I think its a great package with excellent modelling and texture work. A couple of fun features on the locomotive, not as many buttons in the cab as some of the other recent models.

I would like to bring up a few concerns with the engine behavior:

1. Automatic Brake Handle - physics are based on the modern 26 self-lapping brakes, similar to the default SD40-2. I would imagine the real locomotives were fitted with 6 or 24 lap brakes like most early diesels. This may be a simple fix, I've not yet investigated changing the brake physics. The brake handle moves the opposite direction from what I'm used to. I'm not sure if this is something the user can edit.

2. Throttle - The TS model has the standard 8-notch throttle. Baldwin diesel locomotives had pneumatically controlled throttles that did not have notches. After consulting Baldwin operator manuals it appears they may have a "first" notch where loading begins but the throttles have "infinite positions". Baldwins were set up differently than the EMD, GE, and ALCO units that I've been around. Maybe someone with Baldwin diesel experience could describe how they react to throttle movement? This could likely be changed in the .bin.

In all, it's been a good buy. If I can gather enough information I'll try to edit the physics to match the prototype.

Tyler
tbundy1982

Unread postby Coaltrain1 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:34 am

Looking forward to see what changes you might be able to do, to make this awesome loco more realistic. Good Luck..
There's Always Plenty To Do, When your on the V.2

V.R.E.A. Founder
The Lake Superior & Western RR.V.2
http://railroadersonline.freeforums.net/
Coaltrain1

Unread postby _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:12 am

tbundy1982 wrote:Can I throw my 2 cents in too? I think its a great package with excellent modelling and texture work. A couple of fun features on the locomotive, not as many buttons in the cab as some of the other recent models.

I would like to bring up a few concerns with the engine behavior:

1. Automatic Brake Handle - physics are based on the modern 26 self-lapping brakes, similar to the default SD40-2. I would imagine the real locomotives were fitted with 6 or 24 lap brakes like most early diesels. This may be a simple fix, I've not yet investigated changing the brake physics. The brake handle moves the opposite direction from what I'm used to. I'm not sure if this is something the user can edit.

2. Throttle - The TS model has the standard 8-notch throttle. Baldwin diesel locomotives had pneumatically controlled throttles that did not have notches. After consulting Baldwin operator manuals it appears they may have a "first" notch where loading begins but the throttles have "infinite positions". Baldwins were set up differently than the EMD, GE, and ALCO units that I've been around. Maybe someone with Baldwin diesel experience could describe how they react to throttle movement? This could likely be changed in the .bin.

In all, it's been a good buy. If I can gather enough information I'll try to edit the physics to match the prototype.

Tyler

Most creators copy-paste physics and control sections.

I suspect the handle animation is the wrong way round. Lord Mannu should know.
You can try to copy the F7/GP9 brake setup into the Shark, engine.bin for the brake stand and simulation.bin for the braking parameters.
What does the brake stand look like?

Regarding the throttle, it is either continuous or notched in the engine.bin, unless scripted with idle and load positions and a continuous driving range.

I don't have the loco yet, but could the creator have chosen to model a rebuilt engine? I.e. with 26L brake stand and AAR standard 8 notch electric throttle/m.u. capability? Otherwise, the original first generation Sharks could not be m.u.-ed to any other than their stablemates.
Edwin "Kanawha"
The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)
_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha

Return to User Reviews