B40-8

This forum is for anyone to write a review on a piece of DLC they purchased.

B40-8

Unread postby buzz456 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:23 am

"Re: B40-8 NOW AVAILABLE!!!

Postby _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:27 pm
I have bought these to complement the DTM/VRC 4 axle high horsepower EMD units of late.

Here is my assessment of the UP model which I wanted the most. *!!wink!!*

Exterior model OK, the horns are a bit coarse in detail.
Nice truck and underbody detail, no wobbling wheels but the sanders should extend down to the railhead in front of the wheels.
Perhaps the wheel threads should be shining metal their whole circumference?
Cab a bit clean and sterile but with clear and readable textures all around.
I like the digital speedometer though it lacks the auxilliary display on the conductor's side.
No emergency air valve on the conductor's side, though the nook in the cab front wall is there.
Levers and switches as in standard DTG locomotives, no extra special features like independent front-rear headlihghts with all marked intensities.
Outside windows not animated along with the inside windows when moved by hand (Keys U and O are OK).
Instrument needle animations a bit off, esp. on the near gauge with the reservoirs.
Ammeter has wrong scaling, though it looks OK in the blueprint.
No rubber blades in the windshield wipers. No moving yank handles on the inside.
Pure white headlights don't exist in the prototype.
Power settings seem reasonable, I don't know if the real locos had a reputation of being slippery or weak pullers.
I cannot comment on the sounds, never been near a real loco. Cab still quite loud, cannot comment on the in-cab balance/spectrum.

Overall, no real breaking points, I'd give it 3.75 out of 5 so far and consider it money well spent.

Brakes not yet tested, still climbing Sherman Hill with 3 units pulling 40 TOFC of fast mail while I am writing this.

Zoom in (real dimensions: 1600 x 900)Screenshot_Sherman Hill_41.09980--105.13834_14-53-16.jpg
Screenshot_Sherman Hill_41.09980--105.13834_14-53-16.jpg (163.14 KiB) Viewed 47 times

There seems to be a problem with the cab inside a tunnel which I haven't encountered before:
with the gauge lights on, the gauges turn all murky and brownish (?)

Zoom in (real dimensions: 1600 x 900)Screenshot_Sherman Hill_41.08062--105.45911_15-36-25.jpg
Screenshot_Sherman Hill_41.08062--105.45911_15-36-25.jpg (55.28 KiB) Viewed 34 times

Finally over the summit, time to test the brakes.
Here a grave error has been made in the animation: the air brake handles operate the wrong way round!
See the above screenshot, the train brake handle is in the full emergency position while released.
Same goes for the independent brake.
Also, air brakes aren't notched and should conform to the 26L service arc IMO.
The wheels seem to lock under light dynamic braking, perhaps the curve needs some tweaking by a physics expert?

I put great emphasis on proper physics and handling, so this lowers my rating to 3 out of 5. I think that animation should be corrected ASAP in the service pack, the tweaking of parameters I can do myself.

Postby _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:27 pm"

Moved by Buzz
Buzz
39 and holding.
"Some people find fault like there's a reward for it."- Zig Ziglar
"If you can dream it you can do it."- Walt Disney
buzz456
Site Admin

Re: B40-8

Unread postby buzz456 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:26 am

Thank you for the assessment. I appreciate any feeback given especially from people who have an idea of how things operate in the game. Id be happy to take information on how to fix these issues from you in a PM and I can hash them out. I actually took that cab directly from the UP on youtube theres no Ebrake on the conductor side of the cab in the video so I assumed they were absent.

thanks

Ian

Moved by Buzz
Buzz
39 and holding.
buzz456
Site Admin

Re: B40-8

Unread postby buzz456 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:39 am

I very much like this locomotive offering. The artwork is above average and the appearance looks to be very accurate. The sound which is very important to me for the immersive experience is probably one of the best offerings ever. At this time I have only run the NS version for any time but the horn is right on as well as the prime mover as you go through the various power settings. There are a few bugs as noted previously which I am sure will be fixed as a patch comes out however this one is somewhere between a four and a five in my view. If you are looking to stand track side and watch it go by like a railfan this is a for sure purchase. If you want to drive something good other than the tweaks needed it works there also.
Good job Ian and thanks for your work. !*salute*!
!*cheers*!
Buzz
39 and holding.
buzz456
Site Admin

Return to User Reviews