Signals/Switch help

Discuss almost anything about RailWorks.

Signals/Switch help

Unread postby Seer » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:23 pm

first off coupled weeks back found a copy of rail simulator at a thrift shop for 2 bucks ,railways being a oldold hobby of mine i was interested even though i had been put off train sims by the total failure called Trainz to even run or properly install onto my system a few years back.
have gotten immersed in RS but as the topic indcates i have 2 issues.
1 the signals card for rs is in tiny print i can hardly see and while in game i cannot tell the type of signal set i am approaching in the first place whether it is block or junction and/or dwarf along with what flashing speed goes with what..total loss here !*don-know!*

2 no proper switchstand direction indcators anywhere i can find[the yellow throw levers are almost impossable to see and determine how they are set] ...constantly getting derailed by improperly set switches because of this unless i creep along at 1mph and look directly at the points from max zoom out while looking back at the front or rear of the consist. **!!bang!!** !*hp*!

Please help! this is insanely frustrating.

Seer
Seer

Re: Signals/Switch help

Unread postby rgarber » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:32 am

I don't see why this would be so frustrating, there are a number of options you can use to see how the points are set. I'll just list them, the ones I can remember.

1) Use the F4 dialogue which will help you mostly and the easiest
2) or use the F9 key to enter the overhead view map. You can set it to either follow your train or free it so you can scroll any distance ahead of your train
3) or use the 8 key to leave the cab and fly to the nearest switch if it isn't too far off.
4) or and more limiting you can use the other external view keys.

I agree that the yellow switch stands aren't helpful in giving an indication but there's no harm in traveling to the switch by use of the 8 key and just look at the points. Or use the overhead (F9) map mode and track down the next switch. If your close enough you should see a blue line showing the path ahead of you.

Rich
rgarber

Unread postby Trainguy76 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:42 am

Well, F3 displays your speed limit and next destination and others
you can use the 9 key and shift + click on the blue circles to change the switch.
As Rich said you can use the 8 key and fly ahead.

F4 gives a simplistic HUD, displaying reverser (F,N,R) Speed, Train Brake.
F5 gives you all the other info you need for intermediate mode.
F5 twice gives you all the info you need for expert mode.
Trainguy76

Unread postby arizonachris » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:28 am

Yes, this is the one thing that has also frustrated me as well. I wish you could just zoom out a little more on the "mini map" (F3) The large map is still confusing. Names of sidings and tracks overlap. Makes it hard to do any "marshalling" (my new term for shunting, just to drive Rich crazy !**duh*!! !*salute*! !*cheers*! )
For PC Tech Support check out my website: http://www.abithelp.com
Proud Volunteer on the Battleship Iowa
arizonachris

Unread postby Trainguy76 » Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:07 am

Well Chris, I think this might help you with the 9 map. The name of the siding/platform has it's first letter over the siding/platform marker, always.

PS. And by the way Chris, if your in Southern California now, how do you stay up past midnight, is it your job or something? (it seems everyday, I don't know though, I'm not tracking your sleeping patterns :D ) I'ts 1 AM right now and I'm ready to fall asleep in my chair. !*lho*!
Trainguy76

Unread postby arizonachris » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:07 am

Alex, I work second shift at a retail store. 4pm until midnight, 4 days a week. Plus 2 hours every morning, 7am until 9am. Yes, I do enjoy my trains and my naps. !*salute*!
For PC Tech Support check out my website: http://www.abithelp.com
Proud Volunteer on the Battleship Iowa
arizonachris

Unread postby Seer » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:55 am

Well the original rail simulator hotkey card does not say dismount camera it says Discount and i was always scratching my head over it. that really helps. and i have all the controls set at expert anyway :]
Now on to the other problem...shown signals interpetation and speed limits....the F3 key gives this nice traveling view map but the speed limit indicator lies constantly so does the f4 hud and the limits change without warning. barrelling along on the straight at 60 mph in 79 and all of a sudden 50 mph with nothing indicated that there is going to be a speed change ahead of time...and statistics say i am always speeding and i dont understand how i dont break yard speed til i am past the last switch or ill be going posted limit on the hud and it says i'm going 10-30 mph over the limit.frustrateing

shown signals the reference card printing is very tiny and i am not getting how to tell which kind of signal i am looking at or how to interpet blinking rate etc...searching google for shown signals reference just turns up data on the signals construction themselves not what the shown sigs mean.

Seer
Seer

Unread postby artimrj » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:16 pm

Seer, I dont mean to be offensive here, but you paid $2 for an old Rail Simulator. I believe the majority of us have upgraded to Railworks. A lot of the things you are talking about have been revamped in Railworks and whole lot more. The speed limit stuff has been fixed. You may also have patches for the version you bought. Go here and look at the Legacy updates for Rail Simulator. There are several patches, MK1 and MK2 plus a bunch of other fixes that might deal with some of the things you are having problems with. And thats about all the support that is offered for Rail Simulator of old.

Railworks was just on sale for $24, it may still be. I paid $45 for it at the beginning of this year.
Bob Artim
North Eastern Rail Works - NERW

Don't judge a man by his answers, but by his questions... Voltare
artimrj
Site Admin

Unread postby rgarber » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:54 am

Or with the $2 RS you can now upgrade to Railworks for $25 I believe. You'll have to go to Railsimulator.com to know for sure. - Rich
rgarber

Return to General Discussion