New to Train Simming

Discuss almost anything about RailWorks.

New to Train Simming

Unread postby SpeedbumpJoey » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:42 pm

Hello everyone,

My name is Joey, I live in Dallas, Texas and I am actually an avid flight sim enthusiast. But, one of my other, now growing passions has been transportation by rail. I am completely wet behind the ears when it comes to train simming, so I am essentially wanting and willing to learn everything that there is about and to train simming.
SpeedbumpJoey

Re: New to Train Simming

Unread postby up_8677 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:54 pm

Welcome aboard! You will find a lot of helpful advice here I'm sure. *&!welcome!&*
up_8677

Unread postby SpeedbumpJoey » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:01 am

up_8677 wrote:Welcome aboard! You will find a lot of helpful advice here I'm sure. *&!welcome!&*

Thank ya. I just don't know where to begin!
SpeedbumpJoey

Unread postby up_8677 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:05 am

Well it's pretty easy unless you are a bolt counter and are willing to dig into the sim to fix issues. *!lol!*
up_8677

Unread postby imnew » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:13 am

Welcome to Railworks America. ! *&!welcome!&*
Intel Core I7-3770K, MSI Z77A-GD65, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 16GB, Kingston HyperX SSD, ZOTAC GeForce GTX 670 AMP! Intel® High Performance Liquid Cooling

Conrail/NS Chicago Lines Route
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4160
imnew

Unread postby LionelDave » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:40 am

Glad to have you aboard. I think you will really like this sim as much as i do.

The best place to start, I believe, is to run each of the tutorials that come with the sim (they will show you how to drive the trains) and then to move on to some of the short easy to run scenarios that come with the routes and see how you like the sim.

I know that is what got me hooked on this sim.

Dave
LionelDave

Unread postby fecrails » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:04 am

From one newbie to another, welcome! I just started with RW3 about a month ago. This forum has been a very valuable resource getting me up to speed fast. As far as where to begin, I would say just have fun using RW in its standard configuration for a while. After that the possibilities are limitless: adding custom content, designing your own routes, creating new assets ...... the list goes on and on. Depending on your previous experience with FS you may find the learning curve on some of this pretty steep. Learn a little more each day and when you get frustrated learning something new, step back to a familiar route and scenario and have some fun driving a train!
fecrails

Unread postby thecanadianrail » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:03 am

*&!welcome!&*
Canadian National Railways
Courtesy and Service
My youtube Page: http://www.youtube.com/user/CanadianRailRoader

Route Progress:
Can West RR - 10%
MRL Missoula to Thompson Falls - 3%
thecanadianrail

Unread postby SpeedbumpJoey » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:25 pm

Yup, I have run through the tutorials and even did the Horseshoe Curve on my first evening of playing. Did one easy scenario of switching. Can't wait to try some more. The learning curve just comes from learning the new lingo and terms that are used in rail operations. Still, that's why I'm interested in it! !*YAAA*!

In other news, since I live in Dallas, I have come to learn that we apparently have a pretty good railroad museum here that is about to get better. The Museum of the American Railroad is about to move from its Fair Park location, to a purpose built facility up in Frisco, Texas (Yes of the San Francisco Railroad). The new facility is amazing with a turntable and all. One thing I didn't realize how great of an asset this place is, is the fact that the limited space at Fair Park currently only allows them to display the 4-8-8-4 Big Boy, the EMD F-7 in it's original Santa Fe Southwest Chief colors, the DD40X and a GG1. That's just what they have room to show right now at the old location. Have no fear though, if you check out their website, which I have linked above, you will see that the new facility will be beyond amazing and accommodating. Not to mention that the new museum is a spur off of a very active BNSF North to South line.

Anywho, if I know that there is more to that, but I would rather let the website speak for itself. I also have pictures from when I went to the museum almost a year and a half ago. It was amazing to see what was there.
SpeedbumpJoey

Unread postby Ozma » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:28 pm

RW ain't that hard. If an utter clot like me can get the hang of it, you certainly will be able to. *!lol!*

Also, welcome.
Ozma

Location: Hannover, Germany (a couple hundred feet from the mainline to Bremen)

Unread postby arizonachris » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:18 pm

I think a steam locomotive will be the biggest challenge. I don't use that silly F4 Fisher Price HUD, I use the F5 HUD (press twice) then the F3 Driver's Guide, then the F1 to see what tasks I am supposed to complete.

Pictures are welcome here, but you should read the "sticky" about posting a pic. Basically, either upload to a site like Photo Bucket then link to that site, or post an attachment, which should be in .jpg format.

Basically, just get in an engine and drive! You won't break anything (in your PC, that is) And, welcome, and have fun! !*salute*! !!*ok*!!
For PC Tech Support check out my website: http://www.abithelp.com
Proud Volunteer on the Battleship Iowa
arizonachris

Unread postby SpeedbumpJoey » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:50 pm

One question I do have though. In the cab view, how can I see the rest of the panel that is in front of me? I see screenies where one can see all the controls, gauges, etc. in front of them and I can only see what is out the window.
SpeedbumpJoey

Unread postby Samwolf » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:19 pm

SpeedbumpJoey wrote:One question I do have though. In the cab view, how can I see the rest of the panel that is in front of me? I see screenies where one can see all the controls, gauges, etc. in front of them and I can only see what is out the window.

Some people mod the "cabview" to their preference. There should be a thread on how to do that somewhere on RWA. It's not that hard once you know how. There are also some mods available that have the cabview and headout view modded. Machinist and Krellnut have some excellent mods out that will do that.
If God had intended for man to fly, He wouldn't have given us the railroads.
Samwolf

Unread postby Hawk » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:41 am

Must I always have to grab you by the ear and drag you back to school Chris? !*roll-laugh*!

arizonachris wrote:Pictures are welcome here, but you should read the "sticky" about posting a pic.

There's sticky's, then there's announcements, then there's global announcements.

A sticky is a topic that is stuck near the top of the list of topics found in a particular forum.

An announcement is a topic that is anchored at the top of a particular forum.

A global announcement is a topic that is anchored at the top of every page you go to in the forums.

BTW! That "sticky" (global announcement) *!rolleyes!* Chris was referring to is at the below link. *!!wink!!*

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5872
Hawk

Unread postby glenn68 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:48 am

Joey,
I live 125 miles south of you at Fort Hood/Killeen area.
I have been into railworks for a little over 2 years now and love it. I think you will enjoy it. Railworks is completely supported (kept up to date) where as the older Microsoft Train Simulator has not been updated since 2001.
What are you wanting as a train simulator? Right now there is no Texas based routes to my knowledge but if you are a Big fan of the BNSF and Union Pacific there is the Castle Rock route which is in Colorado, and the SAN-BAR which is located in the desert of California. These routes come stock with the Simulator.
I would love to see a BNSF route from DFW to Temple then to Houston or the Lampassas sub of the BNSF.
*&!welcome!&* !!*ok*!!

Glenn
glenn68

Next

Return to General Discussion