How do I recoverd from an emeregency brake application?

Discuss almost anything about RailWorks.

How do I recoverd from an emeregency brake application?

Unread postby LionelDave » Sat Feb 04, 2017 8:30 am

I find that I often accidently wind up applying the emergency brake. The problem is I don't know how to restore or recover from this.
I can sometimes over power it by applying excessive throttle but it acts like the break is still on and really messes me up.

This happens to me a lot with the RWA Lakeside route (the milk run scenario). I read somewhere that the brakes for that engine are very bad and when I'm trying to stop I apply too much brake and somehow wind up in an emergency stop. And I don't know what to do to get the engine to respond normally again. And a search overwhelms me with 240 some responses and I can't seem to find documentation for this situation.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I run into this problem in other scenarios too. (as I tend to apply too much brake all the time.)
Thanks
Dave
LionelDave

Re: How do I recoverd from an emeregency brake application?

Unread postby OldProf » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:13 am

There are these things called "User's Manuals", just chock full of useful information.
Tom Pallen (Old Prof)

{Win 10 Home 64-bit; Intel Core i7 6700 @ 3.40GHz; 16.0GB Single-Channel @ 1063 MHz (15-15-15-364); 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960}
OldProf

Unread postby LionelDave » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:09 am

I guess that is my problem I can't seem to find the "USERS MANUAL" or any USERS MANUAL that covers my problem.
I looked under the folder "MANUALS" under the game , under steam and none of the manuals listed seem to work.

I probably miss named this post. It should have been "where do I find the manual that covers my problem".

Dave
LionelDave

Unread postby ssbobz » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:18 am

I don't have any specific advice but it sounds like on the RWA you're having trouble getting used to the brake lapping which I think is manual on that loco.
ssbobz

Unread postby slick204 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:22 pm

In the railworks folder on your hard drive: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\railworks\Manuals\EN\RW&A User Manual.pdf
slick204

Unread postby Chacal » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:11 pm

Actually the manuals are pretty much useless for this topic, even recent ones, for example Feather River.
The RW&A manual has nothing about recovering from an emergency application.
The very few manuals that do mention it have very different methods, because they are from different modelers and they are modeling different equipment.

To the OP: in general, you have to move the throttle to Idle, and the brake handle to Release, and wait for the EQ reservoir to fill up.
Slightly off-topic: an old army book on how to operate diesel engines. Interesting reading.
https://books.google.ca/books?id=8ns-AA ... cy&f=false
Over the hill and gathering speed
Chacal

Unread postby Ericmopar » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:09 pm

To add to what Chacal said, you may also have to put the engine in neutral.
New build. i7-7700k, MSI Z270 Gaming M5 Mobo, Hyper 212 Evo, Corsair DDR4 3200 Mhz RAM, Klipsch Pro Mediea 2.1 Speakers, Samsung 850 Evo SSD, HAF XM Case, Asus Strix GTX 1070 and Cooler Master Storm XT Keyboard.
Slick with Pretty Rainbow Colors.
Ericmopar

Unread postby LionelDave » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:58 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Your right I didn't get much help from the manual and couldn't get the brakes to work any better so I changed the RWA RS1 out to the SOO RS1 and the brakes now work the way I'm use to and can handle.

I'm stubborn and hate to change so that is why I changed the engine. My attitude is the problem. Sorry I don't have the patients to do the correct way.

I think when I get some time I may try and copy the Soo's engine file over into the RWA RS1. That should make the RWA RS1 engine respond like I'm use to.

Anyway thanks for trying to teach and old dog a new trick.
Dave
LionelDave

Unread postby gwgardner » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:09 pm

I thought that when an engine comes to a complete stop after emergency braking, one could hit the Z key to enable release of the brake. It worked that way in the original Railworks. Maybe I'm dreaming. Or maybe it was engine-specific.
gwgardner

Unread postby LionelDave » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:22 pm

gwgardner

I will try the "Z" key next time I'm in an emergency stop and see if I get out if it.
I'm hoping your right. Because that is what I'm looking for.
Dave
LionelDave

Return to General Discussion