Minimum files to download for a TS installation

Discuss almost anything about RailWorks.

Minimum files to download for a TS installation

Unread postby Shawmut » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:36 pm

Gentlemen,

After modding my install of TS to the point that the works got a bit gummed up, I decided to start over and told Steam to delete Railworks. Of course I backed up the Assets, Content and Manuals folders, so I haven't really lost anything. What I want to do now is re-install TS such that I have a minimum install. Then, from that point on I'll document every mod I add so I know exactly what goes where.

So my question is, what files do I absolutely need to install to get TS up and running? None of the files listed in your Steam library under TS2017 look to me like the basic game engine. There are the files that came with the original RW: ECML, GWML, Cajon Pass, Somerset & Dorset, etc. etc. Then there are files associated with the fictional routes that RW did for a while: Hedborough North, Castle Rock, etc. I don't really want those, but don't know if they are necessary or not? What if I wanted to install just one route (probably the VNHRR)? I think that this route takes the US & Euro assets, so I could add those, but again I don't know where the basic engine files are located and what needs to be installed for even just one route to run.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Dave
Shawmut

Re: Minimum files to download for a TS installation

Unread postby trev123 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:27 pm

If I understand you correctly there is no way to do a minimal install of TS from Steam. There is no way of telling steam this. What you can do after you have installed everything off steam is to go into your TS Library page and in the items window untick items you don't want.
Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, Asus GTX 960 Strix 2GB OC graphics card, Windows 10 Home 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram, Viewsonic VX2452 LED 1080P HD Monitor, Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD, Corsair 650W PSU. Gamer Since 1985
trev123

Unread postby Chacal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:56 pm

Shawmut wrote:but again I don't know where the basic engine files are located and what needs to be installed for even just one route to run.

Don't worry about files. As trev123 said, let Steam handle it by un-checking the DLC you don't want now.
Steam knows what DLC you purchased, so you can always check them back in when needed.
For a minimal install, you need the US and euro asset packs.
I think all official DLC routes are supposedly autonomous.
Over the hill and gathering speed
Chacal

Unread postby Shawmut » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:54 am

Thanks, gents. I was fairly sure that what your replied was the case, but just wanted to check before I had to <ugh> load everything again.

Cheers,

Dave
Shawmut

Unread postby ChrisOnline » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:50 pm

I would add, however, that if you have freeware routes or assets, they may have dependencies on other routes or assets that you might otherwise don't think you want!

So bear that in mind, especially if your freeware starts playing up
ChrisOnline

Return to General Discussion