Railworks America • View topic - Changing Stock and numbers

Changing Stock and numbers

Help and support forum for Mike Simpson's RW Tools

Moderator: mikesimpson

Changing Stock and numbers

Unread postby JohnS » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:13 am

When I change a locomotive using the swap tool the engines don't have any numbers. I'm sure i'm missing a step somewhere. They are standard scenarios and the files are all Read\Write enabled. Any suggestions?
John Stephens
Locomotive Engineer
Marquette Rail
Genesee & Wyoming Inc.
JohnS

Re: Changing Stock and numbers

Unread postby mikesimpson » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:10 pm

Hi John,

On the screen where you swap stock, try removing the 'tick' before the item 'Don't change numbers when swapping stock' (bottom left of the screen).

Some locos have different formats for the numbers and trying to use the original number from one model on a different model might not work.

Mike
mikesimpson
Forum Mod

Unread postby JohnS » Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:23 pm

mikesimpson wrote:Hi John,

On the screen where you swap stock, try removing the 'tick' before the item 'Don't change numbers when swapping stock' (bottom left of the screen).

Some locos have different formats for the numbers and trying to use the original number from one model on a different model might not work.

Mike

I've tried it both ways with and without the check mark and still no numbers. I'm specifically trying to swap the default SD40's on the Colton and Northern to the Milwaukee Road GP9 from the RSC GP9Pack01. So it's going from a 4 digit number to a 3 digit number.
John Stephens
Locomotive Engineer
Marquette Rail
Genesee & Wyoming Inc.
JohnS

Unread postby mikesimpson » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:52 pm

Hi John,

I tried it here and it worked OK if you make sure that the checkbox 'Don't change numbers when swapping stock' is not ticked.
Also make sure that the RSC GP9Pack01 is correctly ticked in the Scenario Editor in TS2018 - RW_Tools should do this automatically but maybe it failed.

I changed a couple and they appeared as under:-

Mike
mikesimpson
Forum Mod

Unread postby JohnS » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:38 pm

I'm not sure whats wrong. I open the scenario editor uncheck the box then select what I need to swap then select swap in all scenarios for this route. Do I have to do it individually? Will it not work when swapping in multiple scenarios at once? I'm trying to switch all the stock to a Milwaukee Road theme.
"update": It will change numbers if I do the swap one at a time but not if I use the "swap in all scenarios for this route" button. Is this a glitch or a feature that was't/needed in the program?
John Stephens
Locomotive Engineer
Marquette Rail
Genesee & Wyoming Inc.
JohnS

Unread postby mikesimpson » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:46 pm

Hi John,

I only tried it on a single swap, I will try on multiple items and get back to you.

Mike
mikesimpson
Forum Mod

Unread postby mikesimpson » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:34 pm

Hi John,

I have placed a new RW_Tools.exe in a zip file at http://www.rstools.info/Public/RW_Tools.zip

The problem seems to be that for some reason I had the option 'Don't change numbers when swapping stock' in both the main screen 'Options' menu and on the Scenario editor screen and one was overriding the other.

New version only has it on the Scenario Editor screen, so make sure it is not ticked while using the option in this case.

I have tested it and the problem is that on the GP9 the numbers are only available as 3 digit items. If you are swapping from a 4 digit loco like the SD40 then nothing shows if you ask it to maintain the original numbers. However if you allow it to change the numbers, then RW_Tools selects a number at random from the GP9's DCSV file which lists valid numbers.

As you have already changed the locos, probably the easiest way to fix it is to swap all of the existing GP9s for BNSF GP9s and then swap again back to the Milwaukee ones and that should fix all of the numbers.

One thing you should note though is that if the Scenario requires the original loco numbers (Often needed when picking up wagons), then you can swap the locos using the original numbers, they are saved in the Scenario.bin file, but they will NOT appear on the locos.

Please let me know if this works OK and I will upload the file to my normal site.

Mike
mikesimpson
Forum Mod

Unread postby JohnS » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:46 pm

Thank you Mike and I will let you know how it works. !*salute*!
John Stephens
Locomotive Engineer
Marquette Rail
Genesee & Wyoming Inc.
JohnS

Unread postby JohnS » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:08 pm

Ok, I'm trying to swap the SD40-2 to the Milwaukee Road GP9 by using the "swap in ALL scenarios for this route" button. I have also have the check mark removed to change the numbers of the engines as they are swapped and I get 3 errors. When I hit ok it will continue to complete the swap but none of the swapped engines have numbers. If I go each scenario one at a time and swapped one SD40 to the GP9 at a time the numbers do change so the function does work I guess it just doesn't work when trying to do all the scenarios at one time?
Thank you for the help Mike.

These errors pop up in order that I have them posted:
This error pops up twice
Error.jpg
Error.jpg (375.25 KiB) Viewed 719 times

This one only once
Error2.jpg
Error2.jpg (374.83 KiB) Viewed 719 times
John Stephens
Locomotive Engineer
Marquette Rail
Genesee & Wyoming Inc.