Norfolk Southern N-Line

This forum is for discussion of any DTG products in development and also WIP Reports of DTG's DLC products

Re: Norfolk Southern N-Line

Unread postby ElphabaWS » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:08 am

EngineerTJ wrote:A Branchline is nice and all but all these reused railcars are getting old. I bet the railcars included will be something along the lines of: Tank Car Silver, Double Door Boxcar, 50ft Boxcar, Centrebeam, Gondola. Because most of those are in every route that they make, just with different names.

The rolling stock (and locomotives) selected to accompany the N-Line route were chosen to match the equipment actually used on the branch to serve its lineside customers and will include eight car types: 3-bay covered hopper; center-beam and bulkhead flats; tank car; boxcar; gondola; coal gon; and open-top stone hopper. These car types, aside from intermodal and auto rack equipment (which are not applicable to the N-Line), also represent about 90% of the freight car equipment in use in the U. S.
ElphabaWS

Unread postby NS349 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:52 pm

DKSspeed wrote:
ElphabaWS wrote:
buzz456 wrote:For us Western mostly rail guys what's the H-line? I looked on the Wikipedia page which has a enormous amount of information but missed any reference to this.

NS Hagerstown District, Hagerstown, MD - Shenandoah, VA

Not trying to shoot you down but this is wrong. The H-line we're talking about is apart of the Piedmont corridor branching off from Greensboro, NC to Goldsboro, NC.

You are correct.
NS349

Unread postby CGBlaze » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:21 pm

I think the point people are trying to make here isn't so much what type of rolling stock is coming with the route. I think they're moreso upset that it's the same, generic models that they've already paid for several times over with other route packs. From a marketing standpoint, this makes the release less appealing from a buyer's perspective. The route itself looks nice, and I myself am interested in it, but I think people are within their right to ask "Why am I paying full price for something I already have a third of?"
The US DLC for TS is unfortunately starting to look quite redundant. I already have the GP40-2 pack. And, I only bought it cause I wanted the NS GP40-2 out of it. Had I known that it was going to be released with an entire route and activities, I might've held off on buying the pack and just waited for this. I am unbelievably sick of the generic woodchip gondola being passed off as everything from a trash container car to a maintenance gon.

Now, of course one could argue that there's plenty of better rolling stock out there in the wild (here on RWA and elsewhere) to replace the stock that will come with this route. And that's a good point. Though I don't think it negates the previous ones. Perhaps then, I will take it upon myself to do some repaints and then reworks of the scenarios that come with this route and release them here for those that like a little more variety in their rolling stock.

That all said, the route itself looks great, and I'm looking forward to switching it.
CGBlaze

Unread postby ENR3005 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:15 am

CGBlaze wrote:I think the point people are trying to make here isn't so much what type of rolling stock is coming with the route. I think they're moreso upset that it's the same, generic models that they've already paid for several times over with other route packs. From a marketing standpoint, this makes the release less appealing from a buyer's perspective. The route itself looks nice, and I myself am interested in it, but I think people are within their right to ask "Why am I paying full price for something I already have a third of?"
The US DLC for TS is unfortunately starting to look quite redundant. I already have the GP40-2 pack. And, I only bought it cause I wanted the NS GP40-2 out of it. Had I known that it was going to be released with an entire route and activities, I might've held off on buying the pack and just waited for this. I am unbelievably sick of the generic woodchip gondola being passed off as everything from a trash container car to a maintenance gon.

Now, of course one could argue that there's plenty of better rolling stock out there in the wild (here on RWA and elsewhere) to replace the stock that will come with this route. And that's a good point. Though I don't think it negates the previous ones. Perhaps then, I will take it upon myself to do some repaints and then reworks of the scenarios that come with this route and release them here for those that like a little more variety in their rolling stock.

That all said, the route itself looks great, and I'm looking forward to switching it.

I agree it would be nice to see some newer updated content. I suspect it would go a long ways in boosting the sales of the products that are being released. I have often wondered why they wouldn't out source new models to one of the more than capable payware vendors in this community and work out some sort of deal based on a percentage of sales over the long term rather than a contract build package. Some of these guys have plenty of off the shelf equipment ready to go and could easily replace the existing quite rapidly. Their product is drowning in the same content which I suspect for many perspective purchasers is a deal breaker when looking at a new route package.

I would be willing to bet at this date they are loosing at least 50% or more of perspective sales as a result of their current business model. It has gotten to the point that I don't even care about the rolling stock and motive power when looking at a route package as I already own it in 12 other variations with other products I have purchased over the last 9 years. This is not a complaint but a fact, why would anyone look at it, it is the same stuff again and again, much of what is already available in a repainted livery of your choice in the file library. You own it so why would you look at buying it again. If there was something different in a rolling stock / motive power package, someone may actually look at that package and buy it not just for the route it itself like I suspect many of us currently do and may have done in the past. I have bought route packages just because of motive power in recent years such as the UP GP38. This was bought just for the advanced braking script that became available for it, not the route itself in a quest for better realism. I suspect there are many perspective purchasers that think the same way and have other motives when making their purchases which is not being realized when many of these products are being put out.

I for one, would be willing to pay for a content update for many older products just out of the sheer enjoyment I have gotten out of that product over the years. There is something special about having a custom package of rolling stock to go with a route. Something that meets the needs of the traffic carried or customers served. I agree this is a great looking product and it will defiantly end up in my download list just because of the route alone which looks like a lot of fun to run and the assets it can offer for route building but nothing else in the package catches my eye. We are lucky to have anything being made at this day and age of this sim, however as mentioned I can't help but think these guys could be getting a better return for their efforts from the perspective of one long term customer. I suspect I am not alone with my view on this, which would match many other customer's purchasing trends in recent years.
ENR3005

Unread postby mindenjohn » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:27 am

Well said, agree with all. I too have bought routes for the rolling stock and not the route.
John

He who never tries will not fail but will never succeed.
Age doesn’t stop you, it just slows you down.
mindenjohn

Unread postby ElphabaWS » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:48 am

Release-date article for the TS2019 Norfolk Southern N-Line route: https://live.dovetailgames.com/live/train-simulator/articles/article/experience-the-n-line
ElphabaWS

Unread postby AmericanSteam » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:32 am

Purchased this this morning and ran one scenario, Delivery in the Drizzle with the GP40-2. The GP38-2 has the same poor sounds that it has for years. One would think that it would be time to revamp it for these latest releases. The scenery is okay but sparse and looks flat and without depth in some areas (This is a job for minerman). The reason for this is most likely to give good frame rates with the sliders on maximum. I have frame rates locked at 40 and they did not drop below that. The "new"rolling stock is the usual DTG quality. The hoppers look similar to the hoppers in TSW. They have little character, lack of rust stains. The rolling stock and reskins created by those of you here do a much better job in weathering and coloring. Locomotives sounds and physics are acceptable but the horns have the usual sound like they were created on a synthesizer, a lack of resonance. The bell is thin and tinny and you can hardly hear it. The car sounds are good and seem to be synchronized well with the action. I will run more today. I give it a 3 out of 5 for now. I did note a switch stanchion to close to the tracks going through the side of a railcar.
Attachments
20190607093752_1.jpg
20190607093752_1.jpg (833.01 KiB) Viewed 572 times
20190607093732_1.jpg
20190607093732_1.jpg (731.27 KiB) Viewed 572 times
20190607085210_1.jpg
20190607085210_1.jpg (744.64 KiB) Viewed 575 times
20190607085320_1.jpg
20190607085320_1.jpg (637.63 KiB) Viewed 575 times
20190607085550_1.jpg
20190607085550_1.jpg (805.84 KiB) Viewed 575 times
TS2019 64 bit, Intel I7 6700K, Liquid Cooled, ASUS GTX 1060 6 GB, 32 GB DDR-4 3200 MHz, Samsung 500 GB 970 EVO Plus M.2 system drive, Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2 drive for TS2019
Using a Raildriver with TS2019 Raildriver interface by Cobra One and RW Enhancer.
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9-N4b ... subscriber
AmericanSteam

Unread postby TheTeenageFoamer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:15 pm

Sigh. I'm tired of the reused content. To just throw something in without changing anything whatsoever is lazy. Glad I read this, because I was considering purchasing. Thanks for saving me 20 bucks yall
"Loving train is an obsession...not an addiction."
-TheTeenageFoamer
"We don't need no thought control"
-Roger Waters
My channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf0_LW ... bcnaN4-RTA
TheTeenageFoamer

Unread postby dgallina » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:30 pm

It wouldn't be too bad at $20, but Steam has it listed at $40 right now!

Diego
dgallina

Unread postby crosstie » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:52 pm

ElphabaWS wrote:
EngineerTJ wrote:A Branchline is nice and all but all these reused railcars are getting old. I bet the railcars included will be something along the lines of: Tank Car Silver, Double Door Boxcar, 50ft Boxcar, Centrebeam, Gondola. Because most of those are in every route that they make, just with different names.

The rolling stock (and locomotives) selected to accompany the N-Line route were chosen to match the equipment actually used on the branch to serve its lineside customers and will include eight car types: 3-bay covered hopper; center-beam and bulkhead flats; tank car; boxcar; gondola; coal gon; and open-top stone hopper. These car types, aside from intermodal and auto rack equipment (which are not applicable to the N-Line), also represent about 90% of the freight car equipment in use in the U. S.

Is anyone listening? Of course we've seen this equipment before. It's an American railroad. They're the same locomotives and freight cars I see rolling through my neighborhood every day.
I must have hundreds of them in my Railworks folder, and, yes, they all look pretty similar. Or is there some shiny new-fangled boxcar or coal hopper I'm not aware of. If there is, I wouldn't expect to see it on an aging branch line like this one.
Let's give DTG some credit for keeping this amazing game fresh and exciting.
crosstie

Unread postby NS349 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:35 pm

I'm not against the equipment used, but it would be nice for newer assets as models etc.. however the route it self from the photos look great! !!*ok*!! I will wait for this to go on sale though
NS349

Unread postby mindenjohn » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:10 pm

I agree with Crosstie.
The route has lots of potential for scenarios. There are many traffic sources, a yard for yard work, an engine facility. It isn’t perfect but if you want to improve it do so. At $40 it isn’t cheap but a single HO freight car costs the same or more nowadays so in Real terms ..........

If you wait for perfection you’ll do nothing.
John

He who never tries will not fail but will never succeed.
Age doesn’t stop you, it just slows you down.
mindenjohn

Unread postby buzz456 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:08 pm

I have yet to see one comment about the route. Just the usual complaining about the usual stuff. Price, rolling stock and whatever. Is that all we are ?
Buzz
39 and holding.
"Some people find fault like there's a reward for it."- Zig Ziglar
"If you can dream it you can do it."- Walt Disney
buzz456
Site Admin

Unread postby minerman146 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:37 pm

I'm only here because I was called. Yooo-hoooo Dovetail! Call me! *!greengrin!*
minerman146

Unread postby raptorengineer » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:51 pm

AmericanSteam wrote:Purchased this this morning and ran one scenario, Delivery in the Drizzle with the GP40-2. The GP38-2 has the same poor sounds that it has for years. One would think that it would be time to revamp it for these latest releases. The scenery is okay but sparse and looks flat and without depth in some areas (This is a job for minerman). The reason for this is most likely to give good frame rates with the sliders on maximum. I have frame rates locked at 40 and they did not drop below that. The "new"rolling stock is the usual DTG quality. The hoppers look similar to the hoppers in TSW. They have little character, lack of rust stains. The rolling stock and reskins created by those of you here do a much better job in weathering and coloring. Locomotives sounds and physics are acceptable but the horns have the usual sound like they were created on a synthesizer, a lack of resonance. The bell is thin and tinny and you can hardly hear it. The car sounds are good and seem to be synchronized well with the action. I will run more today. I give it a 3 out of 5 for now. I did note a switch stanchion to close to the tracks going through the side of a railcar.

question about route if you start a new route using Norfolk Southern N-Line templete in editor what ground texture do you start off with?
raptorengineer

PreviousNext

Return to DTG DLC Development & WIP