Railworks America • View topic - Smokebox: Central Pacific Railroad #60 "Jupiter" 4-4-0

Smokebox: Central Pacific Railroad #60 "Jupiter" 4-4-0

This forum is for discussion of any DTG products in development and also WIP Reports of DTG's DLC products

Re: Smokebox: Central Pacific Railroad #60 "Jupiter" 4-4-0

Unread postby harryadkins » Fri May 18, 2018 1:05 pm

I would love to see a modernized version of your 4-4-0. Due to weight restrictions, the Southern Railway ran their 4-4-0's until the end of steam on the Mobile Division.

Harry
Attachments
4-4-0 3856.jpg
4-4-0 3856.jpg (57.72 KiB) Viewed 384 times
harryadkins

Unread postby mrennie » Fri May 18, 2018 1:12 pm

harryadkins wrote:I would love to see a modernized version of your 4-4-0. Due to weight restrictions, the Southern Railway ran their 4-4-0's until the end of steam on the Mobile Division.

Harry

That would be nice, but it would have to be an entirely new model and there would need to be a route for it to run on.
mrennie

Unread postby PickeringLumberCorp » Fri May 18, 2018 9:44 pm

A good Southern Railway route has not yet been done (I already know about Saluda, which is a great little route, but I’m thinking of longer routes). Basically untapped potential. And the Southern had some of the most beautiful steam locomotives of the twentieth century.

Okay, I’m gonna get back on topic for now :D
PickeringLumberCorp

Unread postby trainboi1 » Fri May 18, 2018 11:50 pm

Thanks for the patch; I enjoy the new freight car views. Something of a lost perspective, compared to modern trains. *!!wink!!*
A couple things that the general public may find interesting:
First, Stanford's private car is now in the NSRM's restoration shop, and they've stabilized the car, rebuilt the end platforms and removed some of the sheathing where it is most damaged. I do not recall offhand the era to which it will be restored, but whatever the case it's one of the few surviving cars that was at Promontory and so it's really special to see it preserved.
Second, though I still don't have the complete list of what was at Promontory (the list is in the archives at the CSRM), I've been made aware that not only were the Jupiter and 119 in attendance but so were the Storm and an unknown one of 119's sisters. With these two packs, therefore, we have four of the seven locomotives on site on the day of the line's completion.

As for a modern 4-4-0, those would have to essentially be new models. An example: to model the Jupiter ca. 1902 as GLG&N No. 1, Mike would need to enlarge the tender tank, add counterweights on the rear driver, build new domes, stack, and smokebox front, extend the smokebox, build a new pilot, add air lines (which would change the cab setup pretty notably, and in ways that varied from loco to loco), add locomotive brakes, and (in the case of Jupiter) model antelope antlers for the headlight. Even on what is literally the same locomotive, that amounts to replacing almost every superficial part of the locomotive as well as some vital ones. For SOU prototypes it would be another story entirely. I may put a couple of my more modern/more fitting 4-4-0s in eventually (in my time I've built YV Nos. 21 and 23, respectively an ex-Wabash locomotive of the late 1890s and a 1907 ALCo) but even these would need a pretty extreme rebuild to accurately resemble the loco shown.
trainboi1

Unread postby buzz456 » Sat May 19, 2018 9:28 am

There is a old route in the library called "Decatur Junction" that while it says it's CSX and NS I believe it depicts part of the old Southern Railway.
Buzz
39 and holding.
"Some people find fault like there's a reward for it."- Zig Ziglar
"If you can dream it you can do it."- Walt Disney
buzz456
Site Admin

Unread postby harryadkins » Sun May 20, 2018 8:39 pm

Thanks for your response, Michael. I didn't realize the Southern Railway model would be a totally new model. Thank you for your excellent work and your involvement on this forum. Best of luck with your future projects.

Harry
harryadkins

Unread postby mrennie » Mon May 21, 2018 10:57 am

harryadkins wrote:Thanks for your response, Michael. I didn't realize the Southern Railway model would be a totally new model. Thank you for your excellent work and your involvement on this forum. Best of luck with your future projects.

Harry

Thanks Harry, I appreciate it very much :D
mrennie

Previous

Return to DTG DLC Development & WIP