FINALLY! A NEW COMPUTER!

Discussion about computers: Hardware, Problems, etc.

FINALLY! A NEW COMPUTER!

Unread postby simer4 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:20 pm

Well, tomorrow is the day. I finally get my new computer. As often discussed, I am not upgrading because of Railworks (although, this is a big factor), but because it was time. When I first got this computer, I was blown away by it's performance. Even if it is still running XP Pro 32-bit, I thought it was a beast. Three years later, and lots of knowledge gained (and not to mention the crashing), my computer is showing it's age. Long start-ups, the need to reformat my C drive, and other various things. It's time for a change; and this time, I'm going bigger.

Here's what's on the table:

-Intel Core i5 2500K (6MB L3 Cache, Socket 1155, 3.3GHz)
-Gigabyte GA-Z68A-D3H-B3 Motherboard (PCI-e 3.0, SATA 3.0, USB 3, EFI Touch BIOS, Intel Smart Response, Driver MOSFETs, Via Audio)
-EVGA Geforce GTX 470
-8GB DDR3-1600 CL9 Patriot Sector 6 Ram
-120GB Intel 320 SSD
-Zalman Case (with heat sensor and fan control screen)
-Windows 7 Ultimate x64
-Corsair CX600 600w PSU
-Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA 22" IPS LCD Screen (8-Bit colour gamut)
They exist everywhere. You may not see them, but they're there. Awww yeeeaaaahhhh, 20% Cooler! /)
simer4

Re: FINALLY! A NEW COMPUTER!

Unread postby NDORFN » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:35 pm

Very similar to mine. It'll run RW on max settings.
NDORFN

Unread postby simer4 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:03 am

*!greengrin!*
They exist everywhere. You may not see them, but they're there. Awww yeeeaaaahhhh, 20% Cooler! /)
simer4

Unread postby imnew » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:31 am

Congrats on your new system ! That new pc of yours will have you mass producing sound sets for railworks in no time !!*ok*!!
Intel Core I7-3770K, MSI Z77A-GD65, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 16GB, Kingston HyperX SSD, ZOTAC GeForce GTX 670 AMP! Intel® High Performance Liquid Cooling

Conrail/NS Chicago Lines Route
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4160
imnew

Unread postby arizonachris » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:08 am

Lookin' good, Simer! The only thing I would add is a 500Gb or even 1Tb hard drive as a drive to install all your programs and games on. That little 120Gb SSD is gonna get full really fast! Otherwise, nice rig! !!*ok*!!
For PC Tech Support check out my website: http://www.abithelp.com
Proud Volunteer on the Battleship Iowa
arizonachris

Unread postby PapaXpress » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:42 am

I am looking at similar parts (if I can scrape up the money). I am curious though if I should wait for the new ivy bridge since it will come with pcie v3.0?
"So much energy harassed in these beasts." ~ styckx
"When all else fails, read the instructions ... if that doesn't work either, try following them." ~ Old Prof
RW Sites: The Grade Crossing - Atlanta North Project - Virtual Rail Creations
PapaXpress
Site Admin

Unread postby simer4 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:45 pm

arizonachris wrote:Lookin' good, Simer! The only thing I would add is a 500Gb or even 1Tb hard drive as a drive to install all your programs and games on. That little 120Gb SSD is gonna get full really fast! Otherwise, nice rig! !!*ok*!!

I already have a 1TB. That is what my current Railworks 3 install is on. Anyway, the results, as quoted by Trubritar, "It's Absolutely Phenomenal!" I was flooding the Isle of Wight's stations with shadow casting lights on my old computer. The FPS was at around 5, after the upgrade, 30, locked. I will show a picture soon of what I did.

PapaXpress wrote:I am looking at similar parts (if I can scrape up the money). I am curious though if I should wait for the new ivy bridge since it will come with pcie v3.0?

PCI-e 3.0 is already available on new boards. You have no need to wait.
simer4

Unread postby simer4 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:57 pm

I will have a video up later. The last try at the upload was accidentally cancelled. !*not-ok*!
simer4

Unread postby simer4 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Here it is, Fraps at 30 FPS. To bad the video quality is reduced in the upload to Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lX-tdJttJg
simer4

Unread postby NDORFN » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:12 am

Money well spent !!*ok*!! . I'm not quite getting the resolution you're getting but doesn't it just make the scene when your FPS are right up there. I think I read somewhere a while back that we can't see above 24 fps anyway !*don-know!*
NDORFN

Unread postby PapaXpress » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:39 am

You are correct about our eyes not tracking past 30fps. I was noted on this thread that its the frame rate that actually make a bigger difference, and from what I see simmer has it running like silk.
"So much energy harassed in these beasts." ~ styckx
"When all else fails, read the instructions ... if that doesn't work either, try following them." ~ Old Prof
RW Sites: The Grade Crossing - Atlanta North Project - Virtual Rail Creations
PapaXpress
Site Admin

Unread postby Machinist » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:21 pm

PapaXpress wrote:You are correct about our eyes not tracking past 30fps. I was noted on this thread that its the frame rate that actually make a bigger difference, and from what I see simmer has it running like silk.

At least in my medium rig I can confirm that framerate (time in miliseconds to render a frame) is more important to smoothness than FPS (rendered frames per second loaded on screen). Lowering the "Shader" parameter (it's another different of the Shadow Quality, is the Shader I'm talking about) seems that you get to render faster each frame, therefore I'm getting (relatively) impressive smoothness even within the crawling fps range of 10-14fps... *!!wink!!*
Who doesn't have dog, hunts with cat.
Machinist

Unread postby Chacal » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:32 pm

So simer4 are you going to stop bragging now and go back to making sound packs?
Recreation is over!
*!mad!*
Over the hill and gathering speed
Chacal

Unread postby simer4 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:56 pm

As in the video, that was a bit more than showing performance (*wink wink), in fact, more of a reveal.

I am also continuing on with the SD40 Sound Pack as well. New horns, and a few new features to come.
simer4

Return to Geek Speak