Alco S2 ~In Game Screenies!!~

Post your FREEWARE 'Works in Progress' here!

Re: Alco S2 ~In Game Screenies!!~

Unread postby Csxgp38-2 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:32 pm

The intake looks a bit high.
Notice in my picture how it comes low enough for a number board.
-Harrison
CSX railfans are how tomorrow moves!
Future owner of HSM Co Transportation- Rolling into the future.
"If I could return to those boyhood days of mine, and that green light on the Southern, Southern railroad line."
Csxgp38-2

Unread postby dogmouse » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:56 pm

Hmmm....can you be a little more specific, Harrison? The intake was modeled precisely where it is on the diagram. Can you show, perhaps, an image to better illustrate what you mean by being a "bit high"?

By the way, keep in mind that the S2 is/was one of the most "modified" locos made in it's day. Over 1,500 were made, and if you look through the images of them through the years, you'll see that just about every one of them had some unique modification made to it.

~Rich

EDIT: OH! I just now read your words underneath your picture! *!embar*! The number board was modeled too, I just have it hidden, and i think the lighting might make the vents look a tad high, but they are spot on in the diagram. I have too many rivets running across there, as well, in the area where the number boards are located. They get covered up by the boards, so that is another reason why it might look too high.

rlc

My website: http://rlc3d.com/
dogmouse

Unread postby Giuseppe » Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:42 pm

Rich,

Please excuse my lack of expertise in this field--it's been a while since I've studied a diesel locomotive up close.

In that picture of yours, the narrow-ish looking box your arrow points to is the gearbox. The rather complex looking mechanism located to the left of it encases the traction motor, and the cables you pointed out provide power to the motors. Sorry I can't be of much more help. !!**sorry**!! I've attached an image showing the traction motor on an EMD (DD40X, I think?) that shows the gearbox, traction motor, cables, and blower. The air intake--I think this is the right word?--for the blower is located in the upper left-hand corner, attached to the rubber-looking diaphragm. While I'm not sure how close this would be to the motors used on ALCOs, it should at least give you some idea of what your looking for.

Traction Motor DD40.jpg
Traction Motor DD40.jpg (61.73 KiB) Viewed 577 times

The image source is here http://sbiii.com/roadld-4.html by the way.

I really wish I could be of more help, but most of the photos I have are of EMDs and the motors are mostly obscured by the sideframes. !!**sorry**!! I do have a drawing for an EMD Blomberg-style truck which includes top and partial side views of the traction motors, but it's pretty low resolution (600x800?) and no longer on the web. I'll PM you, though, if you're interested.

Cheers,
Eliot
Giuseppe

Unread postby Csxgp38-2 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:07 pm

dogmouse wrote:Hmmm....can you be a little more specific, Harrison? The intake was modeled precisely where it is on the diagram. Can you show, perhaps, an image to better illustrate what you mean by being a "bit high"?

By the way, keep in mind that the S2 is/was one of the most "modified" locos made in it's day. Over 1,500 were made, and if you look through the images of them through the years, you'll see that just about every one of them had some unique modification made to it.

~Rich

EDIT: OH! I just now read your words underneath your picture! *!embar*! The number board was modeled too, I just have it hidden, and i think the lighting might make the vents look a tad high, but they are spot on in the diagram. I have too many rivets running across there, as well, in the area where the number boards are located. They get covered up by the boards, so that is another reason why it might look too high.

rlc

Alright, thanks Rich. I wish my dad had taken pics of the numerous Alco trucks sitting amongst those units when we went, I can find pics on railpictures.net though.
http://www.easternrailfan.com/2010/11/l ... shops.html
That link shows a S2 truck, sadly from the one I stood on...
Here it was shortly after dad and I went, note the missing roof light covers hahaha... The work of a pair of pliars and a screwdriver:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2161066
-Harrison
"If I could return to those boyhood days of mine, and that green light on the Southern, Southern railroad line."
Csxgp38-2

Unread postby dogmouse » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:10 pm

Thanks for that pic and info, Eliot. Im planning on going to the Western Pacific Train museum in May. They have a couple of S2's there. I'll see if I can crawl underneath and see what i can find. !!*ok*!!

And thanks Harrison, for the links. cool site, and useful images :-)

~R

dogmouse

Unread postby MadMike1024 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:39 pm

dogmouse wrote:Thanks for that pic and info, Eliot. Im planning on going to the Western Pacific Train museum in May. They have a couple of S2's there. I'll see if I can crawl underneath and see what i can find. !!*ok*!!

And thanks Harrison, for the links. cool site, and useful images :-)

~R

From the looks of it, the traction motor is missing on the left side of the truck he pictured. From examining it, I'd say the Alco ran the cooling air down the centerpost, and you can see where the duct connects to the motor just to the left of the centerpost. the back motor supports are the ones with the bar in the center. There is a motor mounted on the right axle.

MS Paint does have it's uses... !*roll-laugh*!
MadMike1024

Unread postby dogmouse » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:43 pm

Thanks, Mike! ... makes me want to redo the interior of the bogie.

@ Csxgp38-2 :

Harrison!!, you were right!! ...i went back and looked at the diagrams, and for some reason I found that the radiator vents I had made are out of scale!! *!embar*! Thanks for catching that! Good eye, mate!! !!det!!

dogmouse

Unread postby dogmouse » Mon May 07, 2012 10:30 am

... curosity was killing me, so I crawled underneath the beast to see it with me own eyes. !!*ok*!!

Im always amazed by the sheer immensity of these creatures, in real life. Train simulators, for me, never quite seem to capture their grand scale.

dogmouse

Unread postby imnew » Mon May 07, 2012 2:39 pm

Now thats a real picture !
Intel Core I7-3770K, MSI Z77A-GD65, Crucial DDR3 BallistiX 16GB, Kingston HyperX SSD, ZOTAC GeForce GTX 670 AMP! Intel® High Performance Liquid Cooling

Conrail/NS Chicago Lines Route
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=4160
imnew

Unread postby arizonachris » Tue May 08, 2012 2:18 am

Dude, you actually slid into the belly of the beast? Hope the parking brake was on! Oh, your shoes are dirty now. !*roll-laugh*!
For PC Tech Support check out my website: http://www.abithelp.com
Proud Volunteer on the Battleship Iowa
arizonachris

Unread postby Csxgp38-2 » Tue May 08, 2012 1:33 pm

Hahahaha! I stood inside the engine bay of a S2, but never went under one! *!lol!*
-Harrison
Csxgp38-2

Unread postby mdurdan » Wed May 09, 2012 5:34 pm

Any more WIP pics for us? :D
mdurdan

Unread postby Giuseppe » Sun May 13, 2012 6:38 pm

Nice shot, Rich! I've always wanted to do that myself, although the last few engines I've looked at up close were running. It's neat having a sim where all of these details can be modeled fully--this is going to be a first-rate model! !!*ok*!!

Cheers,
Eliot
Giuseppe

Unread postby mdurdan » Tue May 22, 2012 12:49 am

Anything yet ? !*don-know!*
mdurdan

Unread postby dogmouse » Tue May 22, 2012 3:38 pm

...I'll post something when I have something worth looking at.

...go build some more ruined buildings ...those were awesome!

dogmouse

PreviousNext

Return to Freeware WIP