Mississippi & Midwestern Railway

Post your FREEWARE 'Works in Progress' here!

Mississippi & Midwestern Railway

Unread postby ErikGorbiHamilton » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:27 pm

On the RWA Discord (https://discord.gg/FRsDkM5) a user approached me suggesting "I would like to to start a discord channel route were anybody on RWA discord can jump on and work on it and do work ( like the big sky route)." Naturally I said yes and soon a team was created and we began discussing possible route locations. The post I earlier made was to see where people wanted the route. The response was "The Midwest" so that's what we went for.

May I present: The Mississippi And Midwestern Railway

Although the name suggests the route is based in Mississippi (it almost was!) it's not. The MMRY runs from Alton Illinois to Jerseyville Illinois with a branchline to Grafton Illinois and a interchange track across the Mississippi river to West Alton Missouri to an interchange with the Burlington Northern. The mainline follows the Mississippi river and route 100 to the small community of Lockhaven Illinois where the branchline to Grafton splits off with the mainline north to Jerseyville.

The route map is as follows:

MMRY New Route Map.jpg
MMRY New Route Map.jpg (50.25 KiB) Viewed 1812 times

The red is the MMRY Mainline while the yellow is the branchline to Grafton.

We are modeling the line as if it were a early to mid 1990's bridge line (like the Riverside Waterton & Atlantic)

The assets we are using are:
Penn Coal
Sherman Hill
RW&A
Chicago Racetrack

I will leave you all with two early screen shots of the track layout in Lockhaven IL

Progress 1.jpg
Progress 1.jpg (119.99 KiB) Viewed 1812 times

Progress 2.jpg
Progress 2.jpg (260.35 KiB) Viewed 1812 times

Of course we are laying the track first, then doing everything else *!!wink!!*
ErikGorbiHamilton

Re: Mississippi & Midwestern Railway

Unread postby ET44C4 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:30 pm

!!*ok*!! Can't wait to see how this turns out! !*salute*!
Santa Fe All The Way
Nothing Runs Like a Deere
Farm Use
"This job isn't for everyone; but hay.... it's in my jeans"

The Virginia Railfan (HD)
ET44C4

Unread postby Mdk103 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:30 pm

ErikGorbiHamilton wrote:May I present: The Mississippi And Midwestern Railway

Although the name suggests the route is based in Mississippi (it almost was!) it's not. The MMRY runs from Alton Illinois to Jerseyville Illinois with a branchline to Grafton Illinois and a interchange track across the Mississippi river to West Alton Missouri to an interchange with the Burlington Northern. The mainline follows the Mississippi river and route 100 to the small community of Lockhaven Illinois where the branchline to Grafton splits off with the mainline north to Jerseyville.

We are modeling the line as if it were a early to mid 1990's bridge line (like the Riverside Waterton & Atlantic)

I say! What an interesting route plan... Can't wait until it's done.

I guess I'll give the background info then as I recognize the route. :D

Much of the line was once apart of the Chicago, Peoria, and St. Louis Railroad (go look that up if you wish, I don't want to add another paragraph to explain that road), but the line closed in the 1930-1940's from Lockhaven to Jerseyville. The line from Lockhaven to Alton and the Grafton Branch was bought by the Alton and Eastern in 1904 I believe, and was later merged into the Illinois Terminal Company, and survived until 1955, when the railbus (it's preserved in St. Louis' Museum of Transportation.) terminated it's journey in Alton, an interesting thing about the line, was that it was the only section of the IT's Steam Division to see passenger service. The last section was the West Alton to Alton section, which was closed by the Burlington Northern due to better tracks into St. Louis via trackage from the Frisco Merger, which hurt the IT by the way as they lived off the BN traffic, the bridge closed in 1988, in this route, those lines's trackage had been taken over by the Mississippi and Midwestern instead of being abandoned, or were later restored to operation.

Realistic history aside as it's a fictional route of course, I'll now talk about how we came up with the idea.. Erik was talking about half of the story, we all wanted our own things, some of us in the group wanted hills, others paper mills and plains, so when Midwest, Mississippi, won, it somehow turned into a road connecting the IC and BN (Former Frisco) in Mississippi, however it was 70 or so miles in length, so we cut it down a bit to 40 miles, scrapping the BN connection, however one of us pointed that the line was really flat and for that distance it was gonna be likely boring, so someone looked up the Mississippi to see if there was anywhere where we had what we pretty much all wanted in one way shape or form, the Alton Bluffs looked promising so the map was shown to the group, and it was thought that it might be a better route so it was chosen.

Here's some shots when I was testing out the signals and markers.

20170807185333_1.jpg
20170807185333_1.jpg (184.38 KiB) Viewed 1799 times

20170807173624_1.jpg
20170807173624_1.jpg (163.23 KiB) Viewed 1799 times

I hope you'll all like the route when it's finished. If you would like to help on this project please let Erik know! You have to join the discord in order to talk with the other members working on the project.

Thank you!

~Matthew Kundrick, Dragonmdk on Discord.
Mdk103

Unread postby ErikGorbiHamilton » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:09 pm

Route update!

Slow work but steady work. Here is a updated track map:

20170904013031_1.jpg
20170904013031_1.jpg (25.73 KiB) Viewed 1608 times

The northern most track is the interchange at Jerseyville IL and the southern most track is the interchange in West Alton MO. No scenery at this time. The plan is for all the track work to get done before we start to add scenery to the route.

~Erik
ErikGorbiHamilton

Unread postby ET44C4 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:25 pm

!!*ok*!!
Santa Fe All The Way
Nothing Runs Like a Deere
Farm Use
"This job isn't for everyone; but hay.... it's in my jeans"

The Virginia Railfan (HD)
ET44C4

Unread postby Tomcat » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:46 am

ErikGorbiHamilton wrote: The plan is for all the track work to get done before we start to add scenery to the route.~Erik

That's the best way to go I think. Once you get all the track done then run the heck out of it first looking for any problem areas. I wish I had done that but there is always the next route to get things right. Now I even run a few engines through each curve before I move on with more track to make sure everything is as smooth as I can make it. In any case, looks like a good start and I look forward to more updates.
Tomcat

Unread postby TheConductor » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:30 pm

Beleve it or not this route is not dead. It is no longer being worked on as a team though. NWDC was part of the original team and when they all split him and railwanderer worked on it a bit. Anyway the last update he got from railwanderer got corrupted when he moved computers so he has had to relay all the track and redo the gradients a bit which is one of the reasons its taken so long. He just put some pics up on his discord of the route along with a new logo. I messaged him asking if it was going to be a team project for his discord he said "I am really enjoying working on this alone, so i doubt it its not that hard of work and its hard to explain my plans for the route." I guess he was talking about adding some more track. Here are the pics from his discord

The new logo
TheConductor

Unread postby jpetersjr » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:43 pm

Looks good.
Jonathan Burton Peters Jr

System of the retro era assets and the old downtown era.

Website
http://jpetersjr1.wixsite.com/big-j-productions

3D Freeware Scenery Developer Since 2011
jpetersjr

Unread postby TheConductor » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:11 pm

So i guess NWDC, can do a bit of repainting he did say he wasn't going to do a loco though. HE still can't figure out a scheme and is allowing GSC members to submit possible schemes that might be put into RW there are some guidelines though if any of you seem interested just visit here https://discord.gg/GUDNjDv

See ya later! !*salute*!
ImageMember of GSC "Game Simulator Community" a discord channel.
TheConductor

Unread postby SKRRF » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:52 am

Looking good at this point, would do something too for this route, maybe passenger repaints...but...oh my, have so many things to do right now. But wish the best for your work !!*ok*!!
Oh and I hope it's ok, I grabed your logo and gave it a little more sharpness, because the M and the orang triangle looks some kind of unsharpened to me. And I add transparent background, maybe it's better for repaint and it is now 1024x1024 px. grab it here-> http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmkf95ble ... g_logo.png
SKRRF

Unread postby TheConductor » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:48 am

SKRRF wrote:Looking good at this point, would do something too for this route, maybe passenger repaints...but...oh my, have so many things to do right now. But wish the best for your work !!*ok*!!
Oh and I hope it's ok, I grabed your logo and gave it a little more sharpness, because the M and the orang triangle looks some kind of unsharpened to me. And I add transparent background, maybe it's better for repaint and it is now 1024x1024 px. grab it here-> http://www.mediafire.com/file/zmkf95ble ... g_logo.png

I wish it was mine, im just posting about it here Chandler "NWDC" is doing the route but he only posts on discord. I got permission to post his project updates here. I have notified him about the logo and he really appreciates it. Theres a discord link in my previous post above if you wanna talk to him directly, his discord name is GP50BN "NWDC". I know that he likes talking to people about projects and is a pretty friendly person in my opinion. I highly suggest you go check out the discord channel as he puts a ton of pics up as he works on projects i just show what in my opinion are the highlight or the best representation of the route.
TheConductor

Unread postby TheConductor » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:47 pm

I have more news, he changed the route background story. . I also created a scheme for the railroad the roof and top of the nose are supposed to be really really dark grey. DOn't know if he will pick mine though there are a couple others designing schemes.

TheConductor

Return to Freeware WIP