3 Track Cajon Project

Post your FREEWARE 'Works in Progress' here!

Re: 3 Track Cajon Project

Unread postby Tomcat » Tue May 08, 2018 12:55 pm

5292nate wrote:Not to dredge up an old thread, but totally going to dredge up an old thread here. I downloaded this and all the assets and followed the instructions to the letter and I can't seem to find the route in the editor menu to go in and make scenarios. Any ideas what could be up?

I'm sure this is my bad. The problem is that you followed my instructions to the letter and I made a goof when packaging up the route. I indicated in a past post in this thread what needs to be done but you can't be expected to go however many pages back to find the solution, I even had a bit of a search myself and I wrote the darn thing.

I'll just insert the relevant part here. Sorry for any confusion/frustration.

"This appears to be my bad if it's what I think it is. The order that you install everything doesn't matter but what does matter is that I inadvertently buried the route folder one level too deep. Navigate to the route folder, 9440eb2e-a1d0-4732-b737-b0a1607325ce and look inside - you'll see another 9440eb2e-a1d0-4732-b737-b0a1607325ce folder - cut that folder out and paste it back up one level to the routes folder, you can then delete the now empty original 9440eb2e-a1d0-4732-b737-b0a1607325ce folder. Hopefully that will clear up the issue. FYI, there are only Free Roam scenarios supplied with the alpha so the only place you will see the route is under the Free Roam tab."
Tomcat

Unread postby 5292nate » Fri May 11, 2018 10:49 pm

Worked like a charm! Awesome route!
"The trouble with a one track mind is it's narrow gauge and lack of switching controls." - Buzz Baxter
5292nate

Unread postby jalsina » Fri May 11, 2018 11:09 pm

5292nate wrote:Worked like a charm! Awesome route!

Oh yes. It is! !*cheers*!
Intel i7-4790K (8M, 4.40 GHz) - MSI Z97 MB - 16 GB DDR3 RAM 2400 MHz
GPU EVGA GTX-1060 OC 6GB at 1920x1080, 144 Hz - Monitor ASUS VG-248QE
WD 7200 rpm HD
jalsina

Unread postby Brickrail782 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:45 am

I'm currently downloading the freeware assets required, but I can't seem to find the 3D Tree Pack anywhere on the 3D Trains website. Where is it?
Brickrail782

Unread postby BoostedFridge » Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:52 am

Brickrail782 wrote:I'm currently downloading the freeware assets required, but I can't seem to find the 3D Tree Pack anywhere on the 3D Trains website. Where is it?

If memory serves me, the link to it is somewhere in the Railworks section of the 3dTrains forum.
SP Siskiyou Line - Scenery WIP
BoostedFridge

Unread postby Dakota » Sat May 25, 2019 3:42 pm

Tomcat wrote:Two and a half miles east of Yermo - Minneola Road grade crossing. I'm feeling a kind of magnetic attraction from this point towards Afton Canyon. It's not close but is it too far? I'm not sure about it - can I do it justice? I don't actually think I can, which may make me stop right here. The formations are unique and the colors are many and subtle. I think it would need a 3D modellers hand to get it right. But there is this constant pull from the East. ...

Here I am in 2019. I will not be able to do justice to your work, but I am working with a clone of your route. My plan is to add the Cima Subdivision at least through Jean, NV. I’d hate for my work to go to waste. If this project is “on ice” for you, I’d like to “check it out”. I think Cima is simple enough for me to improve my skills and make decent progress (no way I'll be able to do Afton Canyon justice though). If this isn’t something you’d like, then I’ll do it for myself and call it skills development. I mean it, I won’t be crushed ha ha.

Before I get too far, can anyone see why this would be impractical? The scenery at Mineola Road is off from Google Earth overlay by about 100 meters but I’m not surprised. Should I care?
Dakota

Unread postby Tomcat » Sun May 26, 2019 6:27 pm

Dakota wrote:Here I am in 2019. I will not be able to do justice to your work, but I am working with a clone of your route. My plan is to add the Cima Subdivision at least through Jean, NV. I’d hate for my work to go to waste. If this project is “on ice” for you, I’d like to “check it out”. I think Cima is simple enough for me to improve my skills and make decent progress (no way I'll be able to do Afton Canyon justice though). If this isn’t something you’d like, then I’ll do it for myself and call it skills development. I mean it, I won’t be crushed ha ha.

Before I get too far, can anyone see why this would be impractical? The scenery at Mineola Road is off from Google Earth overlay by about 100 meters but I’m not surprised. Should I care?

This has been on a back burner but, truthfully, the burner has been off for quite some time as the PRB is taking up all of my energy. If you want to add to it, please feel free to do so. The only thing I would ask is that it be kept as freeware and for a general release you keep it here at RailworksAmerica. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

I don't think I could have done Afton Canyon justice either - one of the main reasons, besides general burnout, that I didn't seriously consider extending the Cima sub.

I've forgotten why Google Earth Overlay is 100 meters off - there was a point where I was fooling around with distant scenery generation and I think I may have changed the coordinates for the 0,0 tile and then didn't set it back to exactly the precise coordinates. We can chalk that up to me not knowing what I was doing back then.

As to whether you should care, I would say it's not a biggie. If it's just the scenery that is off then you can just adjust the placement of scenery items as you lay them down over the course of a half mile or so to bring them back to where they match the overlay - no one is going to notice if the next straight section of track is 100 meters longer or shorter than prototype. If the track is off to one side or the other from the overlay that's a bit worse but you can correct that by increasing or decreasing the radius of the next curve, or three, by a tiny amount until you are back in sync with the overlay.
Tomcat

Unread postby Dakota » Mon May 27, 2019 12:51 am

Ah this is great. Thank you. This will clearly be a long term project for me. I cannot believe the furious pace at which you worked (with breaks). I will absolutely positively keep it freeware here on RWA. Once I get it done I'll get back with you and we can release it in an unconfusing way. I'll make the shift back onto the Google Earth grid in that first curve east of Toomey. By the way the offsets are much smaller in the Cajon Pass Summit area, so this may just be mapping projection/datum errors building up as it gets farther away from the zero-reference. I won't worry about it. I want it to be possible to seamlessly connect in and out of Yermo with the Cima Sub. Thanks again. I have a lot to learn but this will be a perfect project for that. I do have high res (1 arcsec SRTM) DEM data so the ground contour is much richer, good for the wide open spaces.
Dakota

Unread postby Dakota » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:21 am

OK I am DEMming with 1" higher-res SRTM data, and have track laid through CPC178 Manix. Slow going with many restarts. I'm learning. I did get the track back on to the Google Earth grid during the first curve after CPC168 Toomey, and I have blended the higher res terrain into the original so it looks passable. I took a month out in order to create a set of RCAP/SMDigital signals with real UP signal rules. The signal scripting is a big learning experience :-) including that I am a low-grade LUA programmer. I'll keep you informed as I get the track laid. It will be months.
Dakota

Previous

Return to Freeware WIP