WHat I do for a living.

Grab a rock, have a seat, and talk about the real world of trains.

Re: WHat I do for a living.

Unread postby GERUNIMO625 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:58 pm

Howdy,

I know NStrains your question was directed at BNSFdude, but I couldn't help weight in and be a smart @$$.
Short answer. There are no hours. Everyday is Monday and you go to work when they call. Some days are 3 hours, and the longest I've ever been on a train was 21 (Ironically enough we never even moved, on account of Chiberia).
As you gain seniority you can hold regular jobs which are usually Locals or if you live in a metropolitan area maybe there commuter service.
BNSFdude will have to weight in on this but I believe they have system wide seniority which means he could get bounced all over the country (again, not sure about that, or for NS that matter).

Maintenance jobs are probably a smart move. Depending on a few company specific things and how the dice roll it can be a very stable lifestyle. That said with PTC around the corner and the storm of problems that will probably come once they turn it on. Signal maintenance will be a very financially viable place to be.

Artimrj, not sure if you keep up with internet memes (probably better if you don't). I've seen a lot of memes about how so many celebrities have died this year and 2016 should just end. Is it ironic that a tomb stone artisan says he's had a great year? *!greengrin!*

-Jerry
Jerry
GERUNIMO625

Unread postby artimrj » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:45 pm

GERUNIMO625 wrote:Artimrj, not sure if you keep up with internet memes (probably better if you don't). I've seen a lot of memes about how so many celebrities have died this year and 2016 should just end. Is it ironic that a tomb stone artisan says he's had a great year? *!greengrin!*

-Jerry

I do not follow memes or much else on the Net. I go to my RW sites and Trainz sites and FSX sites and Nexus for Skyrim for mods and my stock trading site. Occasionally I go to Facebook following someone else's link for something that interested me.

It was great year for business, our best one yet in fact. Been cutting stone for 38 years. I am getting ready to retire.

Last September I went down to Florida to visit my Aunts in The Villages. I plan on retiring there and started house hunting. I also decided to cruise around and look for a monument shop where I might pick up some extra money to supplement my pension stuff. 6 hours on the road around the Villages and I found 2 shops. The 1st shop had 2 people working there, the owner and a helper. They literally had no stock in house and had an old sand blaster that you work by hand. The 2nd shop had 4 people. The owner, a secretary and 2 workers. They had a few small markers in stock. They had an auto blaster. Both places just hand a lean to that they worked under, basically out in the open with a roof. I asked the guy at the second place where the crew was. He said they were out setting stones in the cemetery. This was a Friday at 3 pm and he said, "They set 4 stones this week." At Rome Monument we have 2 crews that go out daily setting stones. 2 guys to a truck. We also dig our own footers for each stone and have Bobcats and Tomcats and dump trucks for that.

I showed both places pictures of my work and they were very impressed at my "sculpted roses" and told me they could not sell them as the people really did not care if they were flat or carved, they just want something cheap as possible. In my journey I found 8 Crematory Gardens. So it looks like everyone in that part of Florida does not get buried in ground, but put their ashes in a Columbarium. A 12" x 12" x 12" cubicle.

So I had to change my plans. Instead of working for someone, I am going to get a small pick up truck and get an air compressor and sit on the beach and make people lawn ornaments and plaques while they wait ;) People bring me in bricks, rocks, glass and other stuff to personalize all the time here in PA.

One other thing you may enjoy. When I get road rage at someone locally here, I scream at them "You (explicit word/words) I am going to make your tombstone!!!!)
Bob Artim
I don't have a PHD, I have a DD214...

6th Gen i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz, 16 gig, NVidia GTX 970 4 Gig, 5 TB of Maxtor HDs, 128 Gig SSD, 800 W PSU & Win 10 64 bit
artimrj
Site Admin

Unread postby BNSFdude » Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:35 pm

Jerry,
On former BN Territories it's closed seniority district. Which the NH99 Santa Fe guys will swear up and down that it's the dumbest thing, like the guys who I know that hired at the same time as me. They've been either furloughed longer than I, or have been bounced all over the country trying to hold onto what they can, while I only took a 5 month hit and have been working since being called back in May.
Anthony Wood
Audio Engineer - Searchlight Simulations
BNSFdude

Unread postby Derek » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:59 pm

You all know what I do for a living but this is what I would do if I was not doing what I am doing.

http://art-of-dsiddle.blogspot.co.uk/

:)
Derek

Unread postby thecanadianrail » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:11 am

Well I might as well put my share in on this topic, I dig holes in dirt. No really its all we do....

I work for a horizontal drilling company, we create crossings for utilities where open trenching wouldn't be viable or isn't allowed. I also end up getting really dirty in the process.

http://www.directhorizontal.com/

1479752856325.jpg
1479752856325.jpg (35.06 KiB) Viewed 536 times
direct-horizontal-drilling[1].jpg
direct-horizontal-drilling[1].jpg (236.6 KiB) Viewed 536 times
Canadian National Railways
Courtesy and Service

Proud supporter/builder of the Montana Rail Link project
thecanadianrail

Unread postby NStrains » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:02 pm

Man you guys must do some pretty big jobs! We have to have this done sometimes where I work, but not nearly on that scale.
NStrains

Unread postby thecanadianrail » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:12 pm

NStrains wrote:Man you guys must do some pretty big jobs! We have to have this done sometimes where I work, but not nearly on that scale.

Yea actually we do, longest I was on was a 2600m hole (8530ft) and the largest diameter pipe I've put in was a 48" line....we can do up to 72" though
Canadian National Railways
Courtesy and Service

Proud supporter/builder of the Montana Rail Link project
thecanadianrail

Unread postby Chacal » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:46 pm

I do information security work for government agencies, some big companies and some international organizations. Can't really tell much about the interesting parts, and the public parts are boring.

What I would really like to do is modern architecture. I wish I was Pierre Koenig and designed the Bailey house (case study house no. 21).
Over the hill and gathering speed
Chacal

Unread postby artimrj » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:59 pm

Chacal wrote:I do information security work for government agencies, some big companies and some international organizations. Can't really tell much about the interesting parts, and the public parts are boring.

What I would really like to do is modern architecture. I wish I was Pierre Koenig and designed the Bailey house (case study house no. 21).

Funny you should want to be an architect. When I was in high school in the last century I took drafting and mechanical drawing. I also went to vo tech for Civil Construction. That's blueprints, steel and concrete bridge design, surveying, benchmarks. I drew everything by hand with a drafting table, did logarithms on a hand calculator, you know the kind you press the keys then pull the handle down... My teacher was an architect who went in to teaching and I was the best one in his class. After graduation I took my portfolio downtown and got stepped on. "Your work is excellent. Many original designs. But we need someone with 3 to 5 years experience." I said, "How can I get experience if no one will hire me?" He looked at me funny and said he was sorry but that's the way it is. SO I joined the Marines.
Bob Artim
I don't have a PHD, I have a DD214...

6th Gen i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz, 16 gig, NVidia GTX 970 4 Gig, 5 TB of Maxtor HDs, 128 Gig SSD, 800 W PSU & Win 10 64 bit
artimrj
Site Admin

Unread postby Chacal » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:00 am

I've known that too, drafting table (belonged to my father who was an engineer),ink pens, slide rule.
A far cry from today's AutoCAD and Sketchup.

You know who else enlisted after being rejected from architecture? Adolf Hitler!
And you both ended up as evil dictators. What a coincidence!
*!greengrin!*
Over the hill and gathering speed
Chacal

Unread postby BNSFdude » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:04 am

That "you need experience to gain experience" bullshit is exactly why the unemployment rates are so high.

No one that wastes their time and money on college now can get a job.
Anthony Wood
Audio Engineer - Searchlight Simulations
BNSFdude

Unread postby Rich_S » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:37 pm

Last edited by Rich_S on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich_S

Unread postby jpetersjr » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:24 am

I work as a stocker at Dollar General, interesting enough is I make enough money to actually afford my new car, a 2004 Monte Carlo SS.

Biggest insperation I had to building the model is that that's where I actually work.
Jonathan Burton Peters Jr

System of the retro era assets and the old downtown era.

My website for the progress of the assets for the upcoming freeware Zephyr Route.
http://jpetersjr1.wixsite.com/big-j-productions

3D Freeware Scenery Developer Since 2011
jpetersjr

Unread postby FoodMonsterGuy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:54 pm

I know this is an old topic but last week I applied at Norfolk Southern as a conductor and June 13(next Tuesday) I will be attending a hiring session I was invited to. Hopefully I can get in.
A single track mind without proper signalling is a mind bound to derail.
FoodMonsterGuy

Unread postby GERUNIMO625 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 2:32 pm

Good luck bud!

Let us know how it goes. It sounds silly to say this, but whatever they tell you to do, do it. A lot of people have trouble following simple instructions and it is the first step of their "weeding out" process.

If they tell you to bring something or have something submitted online by a certain time or date, do it.

Again, good luck!

P.S. Don't be even 1 sec. late. They will close the doors. That; "Oh man, traffic was really bad" stuff does work on them. They don't care.
Jerry
GERUNIMO625

PreviousNext

Return to The Jungle