Bay Window Caboose Kit

Announcements and Discussion about Tom Pearce's BLLW Development

Re: Bay Window Caboose Kit

Unread postby TVRRMAN » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:34 pm

[quote="PapaXpress"]More progress, but still perfecting. This time with SP 1741.

This was the only SP caboose to be painted vermilion red. I am still trying to find out why they were testing this color, but needless to say, it did not last long. After a few years it was back in brown.

Getting the auto numbers to go away is a bit unnerving. Hopefully I won't have to paint new numbers.

Papa, your repaints are looking good so far. Now, on the autonumbering, I can make some recommendations that I should have included with the kits.
(I should have added these tips into the guide, but just thought of them...)

For turning the autonumbers invisible, there's a trick that can easily be done. If you have any of Michael Stephan's repaints, there was a boxcar set he did that included invisible numbers. technically you can easily pull up my autonumbering, first with the car's DCSV file using KRSBintool, and changing the values in the number set for that car from a multitude of numbers, to only the number being painted on the car (example: 4328). once done, save this file.

Next, in the numbering, you can either change the path in the caboose bin file, or simply copy the bin file for the digits from the invisible numbered cars into the Bay Window's texture folder, and rename it as the numbers for the repaint (Example: Caboosedigits.bin), and it should turn the digits on the car invisible.

Hope this tip helps
Thomas J Pearce
http://www.bllw.net
Broadway Limited Locomotive Works Payware Department
TVRRMAN

Unread postby PapaXpress » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:41 pm

Thanks Thomas, I will give that a try tonight.

I owe you a couple screen shots, which I should be able to email you tonight (one being the 'shocking surprise' when using DXT3 ARGB). Also did you have any luck with creating the window covers?
"So much energy harassed in these beasts." ~ styckx
"When all else fails, read the instructions ... if that doesn't work either, try following them." ~ Old Prof
RW Sites: The Grade Crossing - Atlanta North Project - Virtual Rail Creations
PapaXpress
Site Admin

Unread postby TVRRMAN » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:05 pm

Papa,

Still trying to get them to work. I have a small situation that's got me scratching my head. I haven't given up yet.
Thomas J Pearce
TVRRMAN

Unread postby BNSF650 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:34 pm

Any chance of getting any BN and Frisco paint jobs?
BNSF650

Unread postby PapaXpress » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:36 pm

There is always a chance...

Can you provide me with resource material?
"When all else fails, read the instructions ... if that doesn't work either, try following them." ~ Old Prof
PapaXpress
Site Admin

Unread postby BNSF650 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:29 am

Yea here ya go

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=628847

I have to find some more photos for ya.
BNSF650

Unread postby SpruceCaboose » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:40 pm

Hi All -

I'm new to the forums here, so Hello to everyone...I am repainting one of these cabooses as well (into a UP scheme), and am banging my head trying to figure out how to get the numbers to disappear. What I've done (and I should state early that I'm brand new to, and in the "fumbling through the darkness" stage of, repainting !*hp*! ) is clone the C&O car as a default asset (using RW Tools), naming it as a UP car, then applied my paint job, markers, etc...all has worked well, with the exception of the four numbers on the side of the bay window, which won't disappear. If PapaXpress has been able to find a solution to this problem, I'd much appreciate any help. Let me know if I can supply more info.

SpruceCaboose
SpruceCaboose

Unread postby TVRRMAN » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:33 pm

SpruceCaboose wrote:Hi All -

I'm new to the forums here, so Hello to everyone...I am repainting one of these cabooses as well (into a UP scheme), and am banging my head trying to figure out how to get the numbers to disappear. What I've done (and I should state early that I'm brand new to, and in the "fumbling through the darkness" stage of, repainting !*hp*! ) is clone the C&O car as a default asset (using RW Tools), naming it as a UP car, then applied my paint job, markers, etc...all has worked well, with the exception of the four numbers on the side of the bay window, which won't disappear. If PapaXpress has been able to find a solution to this problem, I'd much appreciate any help. Let me know if I can supply more info.

SpruceCaboose

SpruceCaboose,

Pretty much it's easy to do. Do you have my factory set, or the RWA version? In the file for the LaSalle, Rockford and Central RR car, go into my textures folder for this car and look for a texture called out as "A.TgPcDx." Next, copy this to your desktop. Right click on it and click rename. Rename it as 0.TgPcDx. copy and repeat until you have all digits zero through nine. once done. Cut and paste these into your repaint, making sure to say yes to the overwrite. The numbers will still be there, but invisible.

If Making this into a single numbered car, I recommend going into the DCSV file for this car and changing the number to reflect the new painted on car number. Not sure if Kali's number relocating script would work for this, but the end results on several other pieces of stock he's done that utilize it look good. !*cheers*!

Hope this info helps.
Thomas J Pearce
TVRRMAN

Unread postby PapaXpress » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:18 pm

Kali's script will work. I am using it on a few projects already, including an SP bay window.

I know I have mentioned this before, but could you revise this kit so it uses the alpha channel? Right now the textures are DXT1 RGB and it would be better if they were DXT3 ARGB. I believe if you use the TrainBumpSpecEnvMask.fx filter you can achieve this. If you need more info send me a PM.
PapaXpress
Site Admin

Unread postby TVRRMAN » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:41 pm

PapaXpress wrote:Kali's script will work. I am using it on a few projects already, including an SP bay window.

I know I have mentioned this before, but could you revise this kit so it uses the alpha channel? Right now the textures are DXT1 RGB and it would be better if they were DXT3 ARGB. I believe if you use the TrainBumpSpecEnvMask.fx filter you can achieve this. If you need more info send me a PM.

Papa,

That car is on the projects list. I'm not sure when I'll get to it honestly due to my current backlog. !*hp*! If desired though, please send me a list of the items needed for your version and I'll see what can be done tacking them into it.
Thomas J Pearce
TVRRMAN

Unread postby PapaXpress » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:47 pm

Honestly I am so close to finishing my SP super detailing that is painful (almost a year now?!).

What I can't add is the truck mounted generator, sliding windows, removing the "glow" from the trucks and adding the alpha layer.

I have other super-detailed models in mind (WP had solar panels on the roof!), but I may need someone like MadMike to kick me in the butt to get them done faster than my current pace.
PapaXpress
Site Admin

Unread postby arizonachris » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:57 am

It's cabeese, not cabooses. !*roll-laugh*!

And, *&!welcome!&* SpruceCaboose!
For PC Tech Support check out my website: http://www.abithelp.com
Proud Volunteer on the Battleship Iowa
arizonachris

Unread postby glenn68 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:59 am

I have purchased Thomas's caboose pack in the past and it is excellent work.

Glenn
glenn68

Unread postby Hawk » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:12 am

arizonachris wrote:It's cabeese, not cabooses. !*roll-laugh*!

I say unto thee, Nay! !!bang!!

It's caboose or cabooses.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cabeese

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_plural_of_caboose

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/caboose

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_a_caboose

And a quote from this link: http://www.trainsarefun.com/lirr/caboos ... aboose.htm

The most common pluralization of caboose is "cabooses," with some arguing that this is incorrect, and, as with the word moose, it should stay the same in plural form—that is, "caboose" should represent one or many. A less-seriously used pluralization of the word is "cabeese," following the pluralization rule for the word goose, which is "geese." This particular form is almost universally used in an attempt at humor (as, presumably, are "cabice" and "caboosii").

*!greengrin!* !*cheers*! *!!wink!!* !!howdy!!
Hawk

Unread postby PapaXpress » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:23 am

Hawk wrote:..."caboosii"

This sounds so mafioso. I guess we need someone to make a scareface doll with a tommy so he can guard the end of the train.
PapaXpress
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Broadway Limited Locomotive Works