Attention uploaders!!! Read this.

Board announcements will be posted here.

Attention uploaders!!! Read this.

Unread postby artimrj » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:56 am

I have asked and pleaded many times to everyone uploading to please read the uploading instructions. Half of you follow the guidelines, the other half do not. Harry Adkins uploaded 8 files and all were set up to the guidelines, I had them posted in less than an hour. I had 4 more uploads from other people who did not follow the guidelines and it took me 2 hours to "fix" their uploads and post them. So after today, ( I have at least 6 files to fix first), there are going to be changes.

If you do not make your screenshots the correct size, I am no longer going to edit them and you won't get one. Statistics show downloads with out a screenshot do not get downloaded as much as ones that do.

If the naming instructions are not followed you will not get the screenshots posted. There are over 2,000 thumbnails and 4,000 screenshots and I am getting tired of sifting through all of them to find a thumbnail or screenshot that is not named the same as the file.

Filenames: Some of you get really carried away with filenames. Like your trying to get the whole description in it. Try to keep filenames to 20 characters or less. Names like My_best_work_in Trainsim_to_date_for_the _GP38_from_DTGS_Trainsimulator_2016_ I ever_did.zip are too long and un necessary! CSX_GP38_repaint.zip will suffice. Usually with a filename like this, the screenshots are not even close to the filename. Then the search begins.

They should be named:

Filename: my_upload.zip
Screenshots: my_upload.jpg, my_upload2.jpg, my_upload3.jpg, etc. Depending on how many you have and limit that to no more than 5.
Thumbnail: my_upload_tn.jpg

Replace my_upload with the name of your file.

All screenshots should be jpgs. BMPs and PNGs do not work. Plus they are usually quite large.

Screenshot files are required to be 830 pixels wide. This size keeps the web site in correct proportions.

Thumbnails are required to be 150 pixels wide.

Heights do not really matter.

There can be no &, ", (), {}, [] or other non alphabetic/numeral characters except for the underscore _.

If your filename has an & in it, the little form you fill out when you upload will not save as it thinks we are getting attacked by it. If screenshots and thumbnails have them in it, they will not display.

This part is not really a complaint but to save you time. On the form you fill out when you upload has a Description line. Many of you paste your whole instruction file here. That is not what that block is for. It is for a small description that I use for people to get a idea of what the file is. Your installation docs are added to the download section of the file, so there is no need to place all of that in the Description form. You can if you want to but it does not get used. I only take the first sentence from them when they are huge.

geopcdx files are not allowed in your upload. They are copyrighted by someone and to upload them is PIRATING! I check every file for this. If the geo files exist it does not get posted. If you bought something, then it falls in this category. Remove the geo file and post instructions on how to install it.

Uploading fixes: I usually do not download all the uploads until I am ready to post them. This means they are still sitting in the uploads folder. If before Saturday morning you realize your file is not correct for some reason, you can just reupload it WITH THE SAME FILENAME AS THE ORIGINAL, and it will overwrite your previous upload. And you don't even have to tell me.

Here are the complete uploading instructions - viewtopic.php?f=46&t=8112

Please read again the Guidelines for uploading and follow them.

I really hate to have to say this stuff over and over again and sound like I am nagging. I hate nagging myself. But this has just gotten way out of hand and I have to use my free time to fix it. The site is set up to be "easy" to maintain, but only if the guidelines are followed. Someday I may get a helper for the uploads, but teaching them to do it will be time consuming even if the files are in order. If they are not in order, then that will be extremely difficult to teach someone cause there are too many other things to do to fix the files.

I am going to make a video of me posting files so you all can see what I do. When you see what I do with each file a light bulb may turn on in your head.
Bob Artim
I don't have a PHD, I have a DD214...

6th Gen i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz, 16 gig, NVidia GTX 970 4 Gig, 5 TB of Maxtor HDs, 128 Gig SSD, 800 W PSU & Win 10 64 bit
artimrj
Site Admin

Re: Attention uploaders!!! Read this.

Unread postby jwtheiv » Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:42 pm

Sorry Bob - I think I've been guilty of this in the past. I'll make sure to keep an eye on this in the future.
jwtheiv

Unread postby ZekTheKid » Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:57 pm

^Me too,in my recent upload.I'll try to get the pictures in right.
"It's not a train without GE" -YLR
Twitch: http://www.twitch.tv/yourlocalrailfan
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClzRkO ... fjbNqrF1tw

It's March. What in the world is this weather...
ZekTheKid

Unread postby jpetersjr » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:37 pm

I have to admit, I really didn't check the files in my asset pack this time, so there might have been some problems.

I'll make sure I get it correct next time, or you have my permission to not upload the file until I fix it.

...Cheers...

Big J
Jonathan Burton Peters Jr

System of the retro era assets and the old downtown era.

My website for the progress of the assets for the upcoming freeware Zephyr Route.
http://jpetersjr1.wixsite.com/big-j-productions

3D Freeware Scenery Developer Since 2011
jpetersjr

Unread postby jalsina » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:46 am

I think that what I have read in Bob's message indicates no changes in the uploading instructions that there were already available.

But I have a doubt.
1-How do we get an uploaded file replaced (because of errors or changes).
2-And how do we get an older file deleted after uploading a replacement?
Intel i7-4790K (8M, 4.40 GHz) - MSI Z97 MB - 16 GB DDR3 RAM 2400 MHz
GPU EVGA GTX-1060 OC 6GB at 1920x1080, 144 Hz - Monitor ASUS VG-248QE
WD 7200 rpm HD
jalsina

Unread postby jpetersjr » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:48 am

jalsina wrote:I think that what I have read in Bob's message indicates no changes in the uploading instructions that there were already available.

But I have a doubt.

Just upload an update and Bob will replace it, and delete the original.
Jonathan Burton Peters Jr

System of the retro era assets and the old downtown era.

My website for the progress of the assets for the upcoming freeware Zephyr Route.
http://jpetersjr1.wixsite.com/big-j-productions

3D Freeware Scenery Developer Since 2011
jpetersjr

Unread postby ex-railwayman » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:38 am

You want to make this thread a sticky, Bob, just so it's at the top of the page every day for all to see, and respect...... !!*ok*!!

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.
i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.
ex-railwayman

Unread postby artimrj » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:29 am

jalsina wrote:I think that what I have read in Bob's message indicates no changes in the uploading instructions that there were already available.

But I have a doubt.

Your right nothing has changed, they been that way since I took over 2 years ago or so.

If the upload is bad and not posted yet, just reupload it with the same filename.

Tell me the file is older and needs deleted. People leave me messages in the file, like Bob read this.txt or PM me. They did this on their own, I do not have any rules for this so I guess it is just common sense. If the file is old or bad, someone has to tell me.
Bob Artim
I don't have a PHD, I have a DD214...

6th Gen i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz, 16 gig, NVidia GTX 970 4 Gig, 5 TB of Maxtor HDs, 128 Gig SSD, 800 W PSU & Win 10 64 bit
artimrj
Site Admin

Unread postby jalsina » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:32 pm

artimrj wrote:Your right nothing has changed, they been that way since I took over 2 years ago or so.

If the upload is bad and not posted yet, just reupload it with the same filename.

Tell me the file is older and needs deleted. People leave me messages in the file, like Bob read this.txt or PM me. They did this on their own, I do not have any rules for this so I guess it is just common sense. If the file is old or bad, someone has to tell me.

Crystal clear! Thank you. !!*ok*!!
Intel i7-4790K (8M, 4.40 GHz) - MSI Z97 MB - 16 GB DDR3 RAM 2400 MHz
GPU EVGA GTX-1060 OC 6GB at 1920x1080, 144 Hz - Monitor ASUS VG-248QE
WD 7200 rpm HD
jalsina

Unread postby AlexMartinez » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:38 pm

pretty good explained
AlexMartinez

Return to Announcements!