Urban Landscapes

Announce your payware projects here. Place your payware screenshots here.

Urban Landscapes

Unread postby Hack » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:08 pm

I'm looking at creating a new pack of N. American building objects for Railworks, and needed some input as to what folks here feel are most needed (besides bridges). So far, my list includes houses, lightposts, mailboxes, gas stations, and restaurants, plus a few modules consisting of entire scenes.

The basics:
- What are the must haves?
- What time periods should the pack cover?
- How many of each object should be present?
- Small town and/or big city?
- Focus on buildings or clutter?
- More trees?

Any input is greatly appreciated. :D
Cheers!
Marc - 3DTrains

Hack
Forum Mod

Re: Urban Landscapes

Unread postby longbow » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:51 am

The US is a big space to fill, so that's a tough call.

I'd suggest broadly themed packs containing a selection of all scenery types, which would minimise the number of payware assets required on a particular route - I think most freeware developers are constrained by this issue. I'd have models as kits where appropriate, to maximise the variety. And I'd try to complement Rich Garbers' scenery as his stuff is being quite widely used already by freeware developers.

We could do with more vintage scenery, say from the 1960s. Much of the default stuff is modern image.

If you can offer low spec freeware versions as you did for roads and foliage that would be helpful.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with!
longbow

Unread postby Hack » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:54 am

Great idea, Dick. I can see that this will make things smoother for the user. :D
Cheers!
Marc - 3DTrains

Hack
Forum Mod

Unread postby selkirkfan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:25 pm

Hi Marc
Some 60 to 90 ft trees compatible with the US north west or southern British Columbia would be nice.Some western red cedar and douglas fir and some interior fir even hemlock
selkirkfan

Unread postby rgarber » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:39 am

Very astute observation Dick. And nobody is more on top of that than Marc. "Th' boy" has taught me everything I know when it comes to lighting. That's one thing I don't understand about Kuju and its successor. They sure got it when it came to Railworks though. They must be using some kind of 'global' lessening of color saturation as colors don't seem to be vibrant in Railworks. That's a good thing of course - I wonder how the RailSimilarity guy compensates for that.

Rich
rgarber

Unread postby jpetersjr » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:02 pm

selkirk fan wrote:Hi Marc
Some 60 to 90 ft trees compatible with the US north west or southern British Columbia would be nice.Some western red cedar and douglas fir and some interior fir even hemlock

Can you also do some freeware cactuses like these. Need some for my new route, they would certainly help for a western route.
cacti.jpg
cacti.jpg (57.87 KiB) Viewed 1093 times

cactus_big.jpg
cactus_big.jpg (69.27 KiB) Viewed 1093 times

saguaro-cactus.jpg
saguaro-cactus.jpg (98.23 KiB) Viewed 1093 times
If we work at it we can bring back the 30's and the 60's to Railworks.

My website for the progress of the assets for the upcoming freeware NRL Riverland Lines route.
http://www.i-m.mx/jpetersjr/BigJProductions/
Be sure to check my website everyday since there will often be some more progress on the assets for the route.

Jonathan Peters Jr
jpetersjr

Unread postby shicoe30 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:19 pm

This type of pack is long awaited and will come in handy. Hope you include a lot in this pack! There's a ton of things I can think of that would be good to include but in my mind, structure wise, these are the essentials:

-Small, Medium, and Large generic buildings that could be used as office space, shops, restaurants, whatever.
-A nice variation of houses, anything from small single story old style houses (60's and 70's pattern housing), to multiple story modern houses, some apartment buildings, duplex's and such.
-A bunch of generic stores and businesses, easily recognizable to what they are, e.g. big box stores (walmart, k-mart, etc), fast food restaurants, convenience stores, grocery stores, and strip mall type storefronts
-CLUTTER! Streetlights (perhaps a lofted variation as well), benches, mailboxes, small decorative trees, parking meters, garbage bins, etc, all that common stuff you see on the side of a road or in people's lawns.
- Cars, if possible, new auto models, cause unless you want to use ones from specific routes, there ain't a whole lot of US specific automotive power, and furthermore, as static objects, the only ones you can "park" without lights turning on at night are the 4 north american models (Tractor-Trailer, family car, pickup, and truck01 or whatever it os), and this may be a stretch, but if you could incorporate it with a vehicle path script, it would be great to see variety without having to see the default-non-North American cars
-I know you mentioned we all need bridges, but seeing as how true the statement is, a few girder bridges would be great! we have a few great models already, but it just looks un-natural when all the bridges are identical!

to your list of questions i'd personally say:
-basics: mostly what i covered above
-time periods: seeing as in our modern day in age we still see structures from the early 20th century here and there, cover the modern era, which conveniently includes buldings from all throughout the past 80-90 decades (with a few really old things here and there *!!wink!!* )
-I'd say each model itself should have perhaps one to two variations, but mostly just have a good, large number of different structures, like for a gas station, don't just use the same model with different colors, mess with the arrangement, move the pumps around or make the convenience store different or heck, throw in a car wash along the back, things like that near the track are what make scenery stand out, and hopefully, using simple shapes can keep the poly count down but still look good.
-small town or big city: both, include buildings that can fit in within the confines of either. We need a few skyscrapers, but we need a few small town staples just as much, so i'd say focus on buildings that can fit in a mid sized city or town and have a smaller number of location determined buildings.
-I know this is impossible and cliche, but both! both are needed, I'd say focus on buildings that incorporate clutter if that makes sense.
-Easy on the foliage, but don't leave it out, smaller plants are necessary, but due to the current variety of buildings, or lack thereof, i'd say buildings should take priority.

That's just my **!!2cents!!** ! I know whatever you end up doing will be fantastic! this is just my little wishlist. Best of luck with the project!
shicoe30

Unread postby Hawk » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:23 pm

You guys (shicoe30 & jpetersjr) do realize that this thread is well over a year old, right?

Not that I'm dogging anyone for posting in an old thread. It's just that Marc may have moved on passed this idea.
Hawk

Unread postby shicoe30 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:52 pm

i really need to learn to be observant **!!bang!!**

I sure hope he hasn't! I just saw this was the last posted on thread and my mind went "OHMYGODNEWBUILDINGS!!!!!1!" and i didn't even think about checking the original start date.

Thanks for letting me know. Kinda feel stupid now, but oh well, maybe the sudden pop-up of new interest will catch his attention and we'll get some urban landscapes *!!wink!!*
shicoe30

Unread postby Hawk » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:03 pm

Not a problem shicoe.

Like I said, I wasn't dogging anyone, just pointing out the thread start date. I don't have a problem with old threads being replied to. *!!wink!!*

You're right though. Maybe Marc will see the interest in this topic and reply. !*salute*!
Hawk

Unread postby Hack » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:42 pm

No worries here - it's all good info. :D
Cheers!
Marc - 3DTrains

Hack
Forum Mod

Return to Payware Announcements & Screenshots