Ohio Steel - Dover to Massillon

Announce your payware projects here. Place your payware screenshots here.

Re: Ohio Steel - Dover to Massillon

Unread postby dejoh » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:40 pm

I must sound like a broken record. How about some screenies! *!!wink!!*
My Company Site
http://www.johnstonsigns.blogspot.com/
When it comes to new RW routes/rolling stock.
Believe it when you are downloading it.
dejoh

Unread postby arizonachris » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:47 pm

dejoh wrote:I must sound like a broken record. How about some screenies! *!!wink!!*

Dude, look in the "Screen Shots" section. (Umm, that's where we post screenies! !**duh*!! ) LOL.
For PC Tech Support check out my website: http://www.abithelp.com
Proud Volunteer on the Battleship Iowa
arizonachris

Unread postby dejoh » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:49 pm

Copy That. and some fine screen shots at that
Looks great !!*ok*!!
My Company Site
http://www.johnstonsigns.blogspot.com/
When it comes to new RW routes/rolling stock.
Believe it when you are downloading it.
dejoh

Unread postby Griphos » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:28 pm

arizonachris wrote:AFAIK, the route will not be sold thru Steam. And, the upgrade price of $19 is not good if you bought the original thru Steam, only if you bought from Rich direct. I bought Ohio Steel thru Steam, so for Massillion, I paid the $33 thru All Aboard Rails.

Since I have already had many, many hours on the original route, I don't mind paying the extra for the expansion plus the update. Rich clearly spent a lot of time on this and it shows in spades. If RW could even get their stuff halfway to what Rich produces, it would be a miracle.

I think I'll go run some more trains now. !!*ok*!!

Hmmmm, I read his site differently. Are you sure Steam won't be offering the upgrade discount? When I wrote to him a few days ago, he seemed to suggest they would.

I saw on the Steam forum that you're running the route with TSX on and getting good performance. What are your computer specs?
Griphos

Unread postby arizonachris » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:41 am

PC specs are:
Phenom II 940 quad core
4Gb G Skill 1066 RAM
EVGA GTX470 Super Clocked
2x 500Gb Western Digital Black hard drives in RAID 0
onboard Realtek sound
Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Running RW with TSX on, High settings (not Custom, just High) 1920x1080, 30Hz lock, multi core off.
arizonachris

Unread postby Griphos » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:49 am

And you get 20s in Dover Yard as well? I get 20s out on the route, and sometimes locked at 30, but mostly in the high teens to mid-20s. But Dover Yard drags me down into the mid-single digits. What's your clock speed?

My specs:
i7 920 @3.6
6 gb
GTX275
Win7x64

It runs all the other routes at lock except HSC, which slows it down at times, but not as much as Dover yard. I'm really wanting the new version, but am still puzzled as to the performance of OS on my machine.
Griphos

Unread postby glenn68 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:27 pm

I purchased my copy this morning. This evening I should have the expansion to the route up and running.
What about the flying signal lights?
Glenn !*salute*!
glenn68

Unread postby arizonachris » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:17 pm

Rich and I have been talking about the signal bridges. He's repackaged the download using a newer version of WinZip. We're hoping it was just something in the unpacking (I had to use 7zip and got some strange result) I haven't had time to unpack the new file yet and install it. Should probably uninstall the current version 2.

Except for a few places where the frames drop to under 14 for a few seconds, not even the Dover Yards are going less than 20. It's been quite a while since I ran the original, definately not since RW3, so I'm not sure about that one.

EDIT: OK, it's that darn PEBKAC again (yes, I'm a dummy sometimes !**duh*!! ) I keep forgetting that there are two settings windows. One on the RW start window, and another in game. And, clearing the blueprint seems to reset the one in game. For me anyways. It had reverted to medium settings (detail level 8) Once I set it to High (detail level 10) I got the water tower (that was a big surprise!) and the signal bridges. Down side is, I lost 5 to 10 frames in performance. Now I'm going down to 14 average about 18 to 20. Pfftttt. **!!bang!!** Still a really great new route!

Oh, the new .zip file using the new version of WinZip to package it up, works fine now with the standard Win 7 unzipper!
arizonachris

Unread postby Popoff » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:16 am

MASSILLON IS MAGNIFICENT!!!
Rich, you outdid yourself on this one. Your two year labor of love is a total success! I downloaded and installed it yesterday without any of the above problems. It was a breeze.
Popoff

Unread postby OldProf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:44 am

What's all this blathering about unpacking and installing this route? The download from Allaboard is a standard ZIP file that any recent version of Windows can open: double-click the ZIP file and something on your system should open it. In contains 4 files. Three of those are text files and the fourth is the route itself: an RW standard RWP file. For some peculiar reason, even the text files are password protected, but the required password comes in the e-mail message that also contains the download link for the ZIP file: if you have the download link, you also have the password. Just copy the password from the e-mail message (that's CTRL-C) and paste it (CTRL-V) when asked as part of the unzipping process. I habitually unzip password-protected files to the same directory that holds the related ZIP file, so I don't have to keep track of the passwords later. Then use RW's Package Manager to install the RWP file. What could be simpler?

Tom Pallen
Tom Pallen (Old Prof)
OldProf

Unread postby Chacal » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Steam.

Or was your question rhetorical?
*!!wink!!*
Over the hill and gathering speed
Chacal

Unread postby arizonachris » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:37 pm

Tom, the original .zip file from All aboard was created using an old version of Win Zip, as I said. Win 7 did not want to open it, and I got a strange result using 7ZIP. Rich and I spoke a lot over e mail and he repackaged the file with the newest version of Win Zip which worked fine. You probably got the newer version so all went well for you. !!*ok*!!
arizonachris

Previous

Return to Payware Announcements & Screenshots