Portland Terminal

Announce your payware projects here. Place your payware screenshots here.

Re: Portland Terminal

Unread postby ricksan » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:00 pm

..vehicles like to drive straight into off ramps, on ramps, appear out of terrain then disappear same way. Strange stuff.

Known issue which was identified on the G-TraX site. All traffic ribbons must be two-way. One-way traffic, such as at this ramp, is not supported so I had to fake it.

If you look at the road layout, there are two lanes in each direction and they both either split or converge at the south end of the bridge in a complicated pattern. So what to do? I wanted something here, so this is what I came up with! All I can give you is the following lame "expanations." It's less noticeable in the summer. It's the only place where I did this (I think?). RailWorks is a train simulator. Maybe I can come up with more of these for a Top Ten.

The only real solution is to delete the road traffic on this ramp entirely, but then you lose the traffic effect as you run the train by, and I kinda liked that. Other opinions?
Rick Grout
ricksan
Forum Mod

Unread postby arizonachris » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:13 pm

ricksan wrote:The only real solution is to delete the road traffic on this ramp entirely, but then you lose the traffic effect as you run the train by, and I kinda liked that.

Not a big deal to me really, Rick. It's one spot that I saw, and the rest so far works just fine. !!*ok*!! Actually vehicles behaving weird happens a lot, on many different routes.
For PC Tech Support check out my website: http://www.abithelp.com
Proud Volunteer on the Battleship Iowa
arizonachris

Unread postby LoneWolfDon » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:05 am

Hi Rick of G-trax.

Congrats on the release of your Portland route. It looks like a beautifully made route from what I've seen of it in screen-shots and videos.
I hope it's well received by the community and I wish you much success.
I'll most likely get it myself when my funds allow.

On a side note, I sent off an email a couple days ago to G-Trax, don't know if anyone there seen it yet, but I mentioned that on your website, in the "News Briefs" section that you have the date showing the year as "2010" for your recent blurbs there, when I think it's meant to be for the current year of "2011". This may be a little confusing for some visitors to your site.

Best wishes. --- Don.
RailWorks Route & Scenario addons, video tutorials and other resources at http://www.RRYard.com
LoneWolfDon

Unread postby ricksan » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:06 pm

On a side note, I sent off an email a couple days ago to G-Trax, don't know if anyone there seen it yet, but I mentioned that on your website, in the "News Briefs" section that you have the date showing the year as "2010" for your recent blurbs there...

Thanks, Don. My wristwatch displays nothing but the current year. I checked various references and it is indeed the year 2011.

I guess I need to get a new watch! *!lol!*

I am another victim of copy & paste complacency, having used copies of previous news-brief entries to make the new ones without looking at them carefully enough. I fixed the dates. Visitors may need to hit the refresh/reload button on their browser to see the change.
Rick Grout
ricksan
Forum Mod

Unread postby Hawk » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:55 pm

ricksan wrote:I am another victim of copy & paste complacency, ...

Amen to that. I'm the same way. Some of you folks have caught my similar errors. !*roll-laugh*!
Hawk

Unread postby buzz456 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:55 pm

Rick,
I just noticed your location and I want you to know that I am insanely jealous. My Bride and I vacationed there several times and think it's one of those very special places.
!*cheers*!
Buzz
Image Buzz
Some people find fault like there is a reward for it.
Zig Ziglar
buzz456
Site Admin

Unread postby Toldrabald » Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:59 am

So I just completed the first two introduction scenarios and have to say: the scenery and detail along the route is just marvellous! Gives my CPU a hard time and the framerate is only reaching 20fps max around union station, but it all looks great! The instruction popups are cool and explain the route very well, the briefing texts seem a bit long for me. On the first one it took me a while to read all it, but somehow I managed to arrive at 10.01 at union station.
But what have you done to the EMD F7 and passenger coaches? The textures are all a bit blurry and pale and the bogies have pixels and strange color artifacts all over them (will make a pic shortly) and the engine sound is better on the default model, too. The new horn is better though. The other rolling stock looks nice when passing it, but haven't driven the SD40s yet.

Overall I really like the route, good job G-Trax!

Edit: here you go, pictures:
looks nice in the shadows
http://web42.org/gallery/Railworks/port ... -41-05.jpg
but don't take it out in the sun
http://web42.org/gallery/Railworks/port ... -40-49.jpg
Web42RW blog - presenting my current projects for RailWorks
Toldrabald

Unread postby Kali » Mon May 30, 2011 10:01 am

Sorry to resurrect an old thread somewhat, but better than starting a new one: are there more updates coming for this route? there's still track in Rigby yard ( actually quite a large percentage of it ) with a few feet of clean air underneath amongst other things. I can start fixing problems myself - because the route is worth the effort - but I'm not going to if it's all going to get overwritten again.
Kali

Unread postby johnmckenzie » Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:55 pm

FANTASTIC route! Great fun! Useful wagons! Nice locos included too!

Delighted with my copy !!*ok*!!
johnmckenzie

Unread postby zzw1983 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:00 am

Kali wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread somewhat, but better than starting a new one: are there more updates coming for this route? there's still track in Rigby yard ( actually quite a large percentage of it ) with a few feet of clean air underneath amongst other things. I can start fixing problems myself - because the route is worth the effort - but I'm not going to if it's all going to get overwritten again.

Did you get around to fixing the tracks? Could you share how to fix them?
I'm sorry but floating or misplaced objects kills the game for me. *!rolleyes!*
zzw1983

Unread postby Kali » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:22 pm

No, have more urgent things to take care of atm; generally if there's slightly floaty track I just carefully ( very slowly! ) raise the ground up, which is easy enough. The odd bits of track in the yard that appears to be missing it's hill I'm not sure about yet. The other thing I was looking at was to change the yard track texture slightly to give it some visible sides ( assuming the track model itself has shoulders - the fact it's slightly floating suggests it does ), which would stop most of the floating without needing any editing.

Alternative 3 if the entire route has raised track is to lower it in RWTools, but if you did that on this one you'd have to move all the street down a couple of cm too, which is way too much work.
Kali

Unread postby Toripony » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:33 pm

The Snap to Track tool will quickly bring your ground up to track level, but there is often a good reason that the ground isn't "up" already. Often, in order to make a nearby object fit the landscape correctly, I have to do crazy things with the terrain underneath. A perfect example on the COA is the west entrance to the WSS tunnel; I hid the "big hole" under the track with concrete (not proto). There's nothing we can do about the terrain grid; we just have to work with it and fudge things where necessary. So, be warned, you might raise up some terrain that will make something else nearby look screwy (especially around roads, crossings, bridges, etc).

Tori
Toripony

Unread postby OldProf » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:29 pm

Before everyone gets too excited over Kali's report of floating tracks, let me just say that I've spent a lot of time writing and playing scenarios in the area he mentions and have never yet seen a floater. Could just be an anomaly to be fixed by reloading RW?

Tom Pallen
Tom Pallen (Old Prof)
OldProf

Unread postby micaelcorleone » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:48 pm

Old Prof wrote:Before everyone gets too excited over Kali's report of floating tracks, let me just say that I've spent a lot of time writing and playing scenarios in the area he mentions and have never yet seen a floater. Could just be an anomaly to be fixed by reloading RW?

No, he's right. In the Yard area there are some tracks floating slightly over the ground.
But in my opinion you can't see it if you just drive by, only if you go very close to the tracks. So, I don't care. !*don-know!*
micaelcorleone

Unread postby Kali » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:35 pm

It's something that jumps out at certain people ( at least two of us! ) and it does bother me, which is why I looked at fixing the issues. If it doesn't bother you, then I'm actually quite jealous :). There are one or two bits of track that you could duck-walk under, I suspect you'll see them eventually. Most of the route is absolutely fine though and Rick did a great job.

Paid work comes before free work atm, so no poking around from me yet. If anyone else is bothered and actually fixes the yard up, please talk to Rick.
Kali

Previous

Return to Payware Announcements & Screenshots