Flying Scotsman coming Nov. 5th

Announce your payware projects here. Place your payware screenshots here.

Flying Scotsman coming Nov. 5th

Unread postby micaelcorleone » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:15 pm

Today the famous Flying Scotsman is released for a limited promo offer: "running until Monday 8th 10am PST is; £8.99, €9.99, $13.99 (save 30%)"
Developed by Railsimulator.com
Flying Scotsman in action:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ0X_yrMjc8
micaelcorleone

Re: Flying Scotsman coming Nov. 5th

Unread postby arizonachris » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:52 am

LOL, is it me or are the wheels on the front truck going backwards in the video? !*don-know!* NVM, optical illusion when the loco gets at a certain speed. !**duh*!!

I like it and will get it. Looks like it could be a cousin to the Challenger or the Tornado. I guess I'll find out.
For PC Tech Support check out my website: http://www.abithelp.com
Proud Volunteer on the Battleship Iowa
arizonachris

Unread postby johnmckenzie » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:36 pm

arizonachris wrote:I like it and will get it. Looks like it could be a cousin to ........the Tornado. I guess I'll find out.

Not a million miles out there, Chris - On the East coast main line from London to York, Newcastle, Edinburgh and Aberdeen, Nigel Gresley's first Pacific design was the A1/10 in 1923 - later rebuilt and reclassified A3 with higher pressure boiler. Flying Scotsman was the third of its type and the first loco to be built by the then-new LNER for crack express services. Flying Scotsman was actually named after a train service, the 10.00am from Kings Cross to Edinburgh. His secondary design based upon the boiler proportions of the A3 but scaled down slightly and with smaller drivers for mixed traffic became the V2 class Prairie which was probably his most successful design from new. When he died his assistant Edward Thompson was promoted to CME and decided that the remainder of the production run of V2 locos should be built as Pacifics too - but retaining the same length of valve motion as the smaller prairies, leaving the cylinders in a slightly strange looking location behind the front bogie and in front of the front drivers. this became the class A2/1. Next off, he produced his own design (A2/3) based upon these larger boiler proportions but retaining with the smaller 6'2" driving wheel arrangement for secondary services, and the slightly strange look. When he retired, his successor (Arthur Peppercorn) moved the cylinder location forward to a more conventional location and this locomotive was the A2 class. None survived, Tornado is a replica. But she does share a very close lineage with Flying Scotsman. Hope this helps!

John
johnmckenzie

Unread postby arizonachris » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:16 am

Thanks, John. I can honestly say I learn more every day when I visit this site, and that's a good thing! Like when Toripony and Red Whistle are talking about the history of the C&O Allegheny. Fantastic stuff. !!*ok*!!
For PC Tech Support check out my website: http://www.abithelp.com
Proud Volunteer on the Battleship Iowa
arizonachris

Unread postby alanch » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:01 am

johnmckenzie wrote:When he retired, his successor (Arthur Peppercorn) moved the cylinder location forward to a more conventional location and this locomotive was the A2 class. None survived, Tornado is a replica. But she does share a very close lineage with Flying Scotsman.

Slight error there - Peppercorn did introduce the A2 class as you describe, but Tornado is a replica of his A1 class, based on a Thompson major rebuild of a Gresley loco. Effectively these were a completely new class, and probably the most efficient steam express locos ever built in the UK.
Alan

My railway photos are back - you can access them from https://plus.google.com/photos/10506703 ... banner=pwa . Lots of UK steam and early diesels from the late 1950s and early 1960s.
alanch

Unread postby johnmckenzie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:46 am

alanch wrote:Slight error there - Peppercorn did introduce the A2 class as you describe, but Tornado is a replica of his A1 class, based on a Thompson major rebuild of a Gresley loco. Effectively these were a completely new class, and probably the most efficient steam express locos ever built in the UK.

*!embar*!

You are totally correct - I was confusing 60532 with 60163! Sorry!!
johnmckenzie

Unread postby johnmckenzie » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:24 am

What a daft, basic mistake! I'm very embarrassed! Sorry folks.
johnmckenzie

Unread postby Kali » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:24 am

Well... Tornado isn't a replica, more a version 2 - in the same way Duke of Gloucester ( which probably actually is the most efficient UK passenger steamer ) has had more than a few improvements over the original design.
Kali

Return to Payware Announcements & Screenshots