14%
T:ANE
16%
Other
70%

Total votes : 44

Re: TSW or T:ANE

Unread postby ex-railwayman » Sun May 14, 2017 1:46 pm

Overshoe wrote:I chose Other. I have both, play neither. TS2017 is my choice.

Absolutely, given any choice, TSW isn't even completely ready yet, so, can be ignored for the moment, and T:ANE knock spots off it with its physics and AI, however, having obtained content for it at a price from 2002/3 onwards, much of it is so outdated now that they lack the high graphical enjoyment nowadays and with all the repairing and other faffing around that the end-user has to do just to get the game playable, I gave up in disgust, and so for me I play TS2017, it isn't perfect, by any stretch of the imagination, and never will be, but, I have it adapted to meet my PC requirements and personal needs and it'll do, as there isn't anything else in the world, it's all we have.

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.
i5 4690 3.5 GHz Quad Core CPU, Gigabyte Z97-HD3, 16GB RAM, nVidia GTX1060 6GB, WIN 7 PRO 64-bit.
ex-railwayman

Unread postby KevinWS » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:07 am

Neither - so I chose Other.
Kevin
KevinWS

Unread postby sumitsingh » Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:02 pm

My Graphics Card gives decent fps with some tweaks in Train Simulator, although it struggles with TANE.
There are many features, not present in TANE. For example, there is no option of making distant mountains in the ROUTE EDITOR.

Also,if this is TANE screenshot, I see no Check Rails on track crossing, which looks weird. *!sad!*

Benefits of TANE are -
It is x64 game. You can export fbx as intermediate geometry, cool. No need to hang around Kuju or RW plugins for new version of 3DS Max. !*brav*! Track lying is fantastic. Support for Speed tree assets.

Benefits of TS18 are -
It's graphics are good, although I can not judge, I am having Intel Graphics. **!!bow!!**
Both game have huge user content creation.
As a user form India, both games have no 3rd Party DLC. !*hp*!

N3V games who developed TANE, are making a new version with new graphics. !!*ok*!!
My overall experience is good with RailWorks.
sumitsingh

Unread postby harryadkins » Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:37 pm

I'm staying with TS2018 for now.
harryadkins

Unread postby JerryC » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:00 pm

I'm with BNSFdude on this one. If I can't build for it, I have no use for the program. Poll me again when TSW has an Asset Editor.
The comments and opinions expressed here are the sole responsibility of the individual who made them. Any resemblance to comments intelligent or ignernt is purely coincidental.

http://vrailcreations.net

https://www.facebook.com/Virtual-Rail-C ... 1228324592
JerryC

Unread postby jalsina » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:05 pm

buzz456 wrote:Why since we are on a Railworks Forum did you not include TS2017? Inquiring minds want to know since I don't play either. At least include a choice of neither.

Translate "Other" to TS2018 *!greengrin!*
Intel i7-4790K (8M, 4.40 GHz) - MSI Z97 MB - 16 GB DDR3 RAM 2400 MHz
GPU EVGA GTX-1060 OC 6GB at 1920x1080, 144 Hz - Monitor ASUS VG-248QE
WD 7200 rpm HD
jalsina

Unread postby artimrj » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:05 pm

Sumit, the tracks with out check rails are old version of the track. If you notice the blades do not move either. New track made for TANE works and looks much better. And I can make distant mountains, do not know why you can't unless you are just speculating. I got close to 4,000 hours in TANE. Routes are easy to build. Session editor is the most powerful tool I have witnessed in any sim. You need more than someone else's photo to determine how good or bad TANE is. Which obviously you have none. What took me 2 years to build in RW I did in 6 months in TANE. If you don't know what your talking about, don't.
Bob Artim
I don't have a PHD, I have a DD214... Freedom carries sacrafice

6th Gen i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz, 16 gig, NVidia GTX 970 4 Gig, 5 TB of Maxtor HDs, 128 Gig SSD, 800 W PSU & Win 10 64 bit
artimrj
Site Admin

Unread postby hminky » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:02 pm

The crossings in TANE don't generate guard rails with procedural track.

All the other trackwork in the picture have frogs and points, there are assets available to "fake" the guard rails.

TANE's assets are more easily modified, rail changed out with a lighter weight and different tie color:

Harold
hminky

Unread postby CArailroader » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:28 am

My introduction to train sims started shortly after MSTS was released. My grandfather bought it for me and him being a computer guy, had a decent enough computer to run it on. Then at the end of 02 when Trainz: The Ultimate Collection was released, he bought me that and I never gave MSTS another look. I stayed with Trainz all the way buying each new edition until Trainz Sim 2012.

Funny enough even though I always had the latest version, I always stuck with TRS2004. It was the easiest to use IMO, there were so much content for it and very little in the way of bugs after SP4 was released. It was also super easy to create repaints.

After the release of TRS2012, I wasn't impressed and was still using TRS2004. Then shortly before Railworks 3 was released, I found and bought Railworks 2 and of course have had all of the upgrades since then and now here we are with TS2018... For the first couple of years of joining railworks I would go back to Trainz04 every now and again but as great as it was, it just couldn't compare to Railworks it had too much of a toy train feel to it. I kept tabs on the community for a bit but as of a couple years ago, I uninstalled Trainz and haven't looked at it again. Of course I've backed up all my assets should I ever decide one day to dust it off again. I actually used TANE at my friend's house for several hours: I wasn't impressed to say the least. The graphics haven't changed much and it still felt too model train like. But Bob is right, making routes in Trainz has always been and always will be SOO much easier than in RW.

As far as TSW, I just don't see the appeal: the lack of content and lack of ability to modify what exists, and no route builder. Also everything just seems too darn shiny to me...

So "other" being TS2018 and beyond has my vote.
CArailroader

Unread postby Griphos » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:03 am

I’ve been enjoying TSW. It’s quite nice for what it is, even though what it is doesn’t suit content creators. Driving trains in it is nice.

TANE is for content creators. Very few scenarios available, so you have to create for yourself. I bought it on deep sale and have since bought other, better JR routes. Wish I hadn’t. It’s file structures and the DLS are a bloody mess! And you have to pay for the privilege to download at more than a snail's pace. And when you do, you’ll still have faulty assets and missing dependencies you’ll never be able to track down. What a ridiculous mess of a sim.

Still, the physics and sounds are very nice. The most fun I’ve had in it is in the model railroads. It’s really a fun virtual model railroad simulator, and that’s how the community seems to treat it, as resources for building layouts they then share through long screenshot threads but never through the DLS because packaging and sharing the actual route is such a nightmare.

We'll have to wait and see what TSW becomes (if it ever becomes anything more); but TANE is what it is and will never be anything better. And T:BTNF (Beyond the New/Next/Never Frontier) will be no better either.
Griphos

Unread postby hminky » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:15 am

TSW is a bad console port without a console, probably the intended future.

Plays like the console port driving games, Dirt series, Grid, etc., limited versatility, casual physics so the user won't cry the game is too hard, rewards and careers.

Why should DTG worry about editors?

Just dangle the carrot while people pay back the developmental investment. DTG is already hedging on the release.

Harold
hminky

Unread postby buzz456 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:31 am

Please people this is a poll not a forum for trashing this or that sim. How about trying to say what you like about the one you favor and keep it positive?
Buzz
39 and holding.
"Some people find fault like there's a reward for it."- Zig Ziglar
"If you can dream it you can do it."- Walt Disney
buzz456
Site Admin

Unread postby _o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:51 pm

Which of the two games has the better future or outlook at a future?

I don't think N3V is capable of turning T:ANE around in it's second incarnation to erase all previous doubts. Plus their commercial DLC is so patchy and inconsistent. Only JR provides a decent selection of matching US locos, cars and routes.

DTG's course with TSW is still shrouded in clouds of mystery. Too much old thinking, habits and probably chunks of code don't make for a clear distinction between TSW and RW18, apart from the graphics.

For the moment, I'd give DTG the benefit of my doubt, but I didn't cast a vote.
Edwin "Kanawha"
The Chessie, the train that never was ... (6000 hp Baldwin-Westinghouse steam turbine electric)
_o_OOOO_oo-Kanawha

Unread postby artimrj » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Sorry oooo_oo, but JR is not alone out there. RRMods puts out some nice stuff also. In fact all the 3rd party people put out some nice stuff. It will be a while until the "Next" version comes out, I can't wait for it. People are already building stuff for it as N3V invited them in the back door to check it out. Your opinion is not correct information.
Bob Artim
I don't have a PHD, I have a DD214... Freedom carries sacrafice

6th Gen i7 6700K @ 4.0 GHz, 16 gig, NVidia GTX 970 4 Gig, 5 TB of Maxtor HDs, 128 Gig SSD, 800 W PSU & Win 10 64 bit
artimrj
Site Admin

Unread postby jalsina » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:59 pm

artimrj wrote:Sorry oooo_oo, but JR is not alone out there. RRMods puts out some nice stuff also. In fact all the 3rd party people put out some nice stuff. It will be a while until the "Next" version comes out, I can't wait for it. People are already building stuff for it as N3V invited them in the back door to check it out. Your opinion is not correct information.

First of all, I do not have TANE. All I have had from the series has been an old boxed Trainz 2006.
So my opinion is based in other´s screenshots (I am currently subscribed to email from N3V Trainz Team, visit third parties designers and look at Trainz YouTube´s).
I think the loco and cars models running lately in Trainz are really very good and some look much better than their counterparts from TS2018.
But I find the scenery, shadows and environment light quite bad-looking, particularly skies and clouds. Here, I feel TS2018 is zillions much better. The scenery is what refrained me to buy TANE.
Intel i7-4790K (8M, 4.40 GHz) - MSI Z97 MB - 16 GB DDR3 RAM 2400 MHz
GPU EVGA GTX-1060 OC 6GB at 1920x1080, 144 Hz - Monitor ASUS VG-248QE
WD 7200 rpm HD
jalsina

PreviousNext

Return to Polls!